SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Albums ordained by God
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albums ordained by God Login/Join 
posted
I am curious what albums people find truly special. Please share an album, regardless of genre, that wows you every time you listen to it. I am going to lay down some rules (subject to change based on suggestions and feedback), to try and keep everything consistent and organized...

The album needs to be exactly that: an album. An entire album that stands on it's own as something you consider a very complete and excellent work.

It needs to be an album that, about two or three songs in, you're thinking "man, this is a good album"; two thirds of the way through you're like "holy shit, this album is good!"; and at the end it is cemented, just like the last time you listened to it, as a very important album for you.

I know this is going to be subjective. Do your best not to have your choice influenced by albums that music culture has deemed important or influential. Do your best not to be influenced by the desire to be "kvlt", as they say in metal circles. If the album you honestly choose is all of those things, then so be it, but just keep those influences in mind when considering.

Keep the politics of the musicians out of the discussion. The politics and messages of a band that someone enjoys do not necessarily mirror their own.

Keep material possessions out of it. We are not discussing a limited edition audiophile vinyl someone may have. I understand that some albums are best listened-to on a certain format, or with certain equipment. Albums that speak to you the way that is required to be mentioned here shouldn't need any special listening setup to be powerful to you.

The album needs to have been released no later than December 2015. I want to avoid people mentioning the latest thing their jazzed about. Albums that qualify for this discussion need to have staying power. Staying power can't be established quickly, and I think five years is a good round number.

Lastly, you can mention as many as you want, but only do one at a time, and do your best to listen to one that someone else mentions before mentioning another yourself.

Any other parameter suggestions are welcome.

The album I'll start the discussion with is Life is Killing Me by Type O Negative

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Paul Simon's "Graceland."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ridin with the King. Eric Clapton and BB King.

I've listened to it a thousand times. Every time it puts me in a good place.

https://www.amazon.com/Riding-...+%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-1

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here/A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Metallica - Master of Puppets/…And Justice For All

Rush - Moving Pictures/Clockwork Angels

I’d almost put Amaranthe’s Massive Addictive in that list, but it looks like that was a perfect album fluke as the rest of their stuff is hit or miss.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Typically, I would post Layla and Other Assorted Lovesongs, and have in similar threads. Today instead, I’ll say,
Alone Together, Dave Mason

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Queensryche Operation Mindcrime

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've never considered to itemize by the song.
That is a product of today's music and online distribution.
Plenty of great albums and always took it in total.

Live LP's are kind of cheating as they could be a hits complication.

Rare Earth in Concert (1971)
I played the ever livin' shit out it and still do.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Slayer: Reign in Blood. Though I doubt God had anything to do with it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Tommy - The Who
Sgt. Pepper's, White Album - Beatles
Leave Home - Ramones

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Yes - "Fragile"

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Rush, Exit Stage Left. Although a combination of songs from a couple of different albums, I view this live performance a stand-alone version as the live version appeals to me more than the studio versions.

+1 for DSOTM and The Wall

But if you want me to play by the rules, then:
Mumford and Sons: Babel

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Clash, "London Calling."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ll say it - Layla by Derek & The Dominos.

The other album that still blows me away is The Beatles- Rubber Soul.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I spent years lifting to Metallica’s black album.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think I should keep this to one, but that's hard to do.

Thick as a Brick

Quadrophenia

Aja

Close to the Edge

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ones already listed, so I am only going to add these three to the list:

Led Zeppelin 4 aka the Zoso album

The Eagles: Hotel California

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band: Night Moves

Edited to add:

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post