SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rings of Power on Amazon discussion/spoiler thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rings of Power on Amazon discussion/spoiler thread. Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
J.R.R. Tolkien toyed with many different ideas for the origin of the Orcs, and in one telling they were in fact fallen Elves. This concept made its way into The Silmarillion. Adar pretty clearly, at this point, seems to be one for me. Certainly he could procreate for Orc creation for a long time. Typically elves didn't have many children, but with a mission perhaps this is different for him. Would think, like Elrond's brother, there is the los of elven immortality for them, and, fallen and defiled as they are, that elven longevity would not be offered to them by Eru Iluvatar. No one knows how long orcs can actually live, but I've thought for a long time that there would be some potentially quite long lived - losses to battles and in-fighting not withstanding.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I also remember reading that Tolkien said the goblins in the Hobbit are also orcs. And then he said they are a different species.

And having orcs be fallen elves, vs seeing them pulled from the mud in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

And having orcs be fallen elves, vs seeing them pulled from the mud in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Are you talking about the birthing scene for the Uruk-hai? I thought those were crossbreeds.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

Are you talking about the birthing scene for the Uruk-hai? I thought those were crossbreeds.

That scene.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Who knew!?! Mithril can cure a sick tree or a sick elf!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The plot arc is getting more convoluted and bizarre, making less sense all the time.

We could have had the Kinslayings, the battles of Beleriand, Beren and Lúthien! But no. We got this. Whole fucking book full of epic stories and they’re making up shit about the origins of Mithril.

Galadriel is a condescending twat, I can’t stand her. Totally one dimensional. Of course they had to write some gay shit in there. “Give me the meat, and give it to me raw.Roll Eyes

Seeing some speculation that Halbrand will eventually become the King of Angmar. We know where that goes.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dialogue is distinctly....NOT Tolkien. The Harfoots are mindnumbingly stupid, the humans in the Southland make no sense, Numanor can't seem to get out of its own way and the elf/dwarf scenes are painstakingly uninteresting.

Good grief are some of the storylines horrible, not to mention the pace and tempo is, painfully slow. After each ponderous episode, makes you appreciate how Jackson was able to condense and polish the script for the LOTR trilogy.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
... the pace and tempo is, painfully slow.

You can say that again.

I've read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy, but not The Silmarillion so I can't speak to how poorly it's being treated. But, the storylines are moving at a glacial pace. Episode 5 was by far the worst.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
At this point I could only recommend watching if you have some very decent hallucinogens in your system. Preferably the giggle kind.

Oh, and plenty of sweety-chewy and salty-crunchy.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
As for the billion dollars that this was suppose to cost; there HAS to be someone sitting on beach in Belize drinking tropical drinks who embezzled a crap ton of money. That is really the only explanation for how bad this it........Well there is possibility that Rings of Power were actually made by truly incompetent and stupid people. The embezzled money thought at least makes me think that someone enjoyed doing this show.

Another thing: the horrendous fight/sparring scene was made up of the BEST cuts and film they could manage......that tells you how bad it was.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
... the pace and tempo is, painfully slow.

You can say that again.

I've read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy, but not The Silmarillion so I can't speak to how poorly it's being treated. But, the storylines are moving at a glacial pace. Episode 5 was by far the worst.

I'm forced to agree. It's been another hour and we're still in the harbor. The orcs are still in the town. The tension built for a three episodes and then the troll is like, "ok ok, let's go ask my dad" in 3 minutes flat.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand how they managed to make a battle episode slow and boring. I believe episode 6 is it for me, too painful to watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOW, did the Numenorian's know EXACTLY where to sail up-river, and then travel overland (mass cavalry charge the entire way?) to this hamlet, that was under siege by orcs?

Good lord the script writing is bad.....

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOW, did the Numenorian's know EXACTLY where to sail up-river, and then travel overland (mass cavalry charge the entire way?) to this hamlet, that was under siege by orcs?

They sensed a disturbance in the force?

Dirt Sailors Unite!

to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They sensed a disturbance in the force?

Because they were led by Super All Knowing Mary Sue Galadriel. That and super crap writing.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. Just what in the fuck is this plot arc with the sword? What a convoluted, Rube Goldberg meets Deus Ex Machina plot. We need to dump a whole lake full of water into Mount Doom to set it off? Couldn't Sauron just do that with some evil magic or something? Why is this assclown Adar leading the effort on this one if he hates Sauron?

This entire episode was boring. The writing is just so awful. I didn't watch it yesterday, very nearly didn't watch it tonight. I'm strongly considered being done with this shitfest.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War was on sale recently for like, a dollar, so I bought it with all the DLC and everything. Far and away, the writing, plot, and action of a videogame that was released five years ago makes this show look completely Mickey Mouse in comparison. It's scratching the Tolkein itch, and exactly none of it is canon and has probably the same type of license as this show does. However, it is so in line with the writing that you wouldn't know the difference, and it shows just how good this could have been if they'd hired good writers who cared about the source material instead of simply using it as another vehicle for social engineering.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So Amazon paid 60 million an episode.....is this one huge tax write off or my original idea that someone embezzled the hell out of it?

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What the heck is this? Someone’s vacations slide show?

And here we are loading the ships, and here we are storming the castle, and here we are walking through the woods, and here we are when the volcano erupted, and here we are pulling a cart through the meadow…

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post