SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Saw that Wynn's Casio is offering an "All Access Pass" for next year's Vegas Race.

Anyone up for splitting the package ?? Only $167,000 each x 6.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Pricing for Vegas is going to be insane, unfortunately.
And, unlike somewhere like Monaco, it's not like you can stay 'nearby' [Nice] and travel to/from for the events.

I suppose you could go to some of the fringe hotels & uber/walk/taxi to the 'track'.
If we go, we'll likely either stay at Southpoint or at my mom's up toward St George.

Edit: Looked at the link, for $1M it says almost nothing about the actual race accommodations.
But hey, you get a bottle of champagne, show tickets, golf/spa access & airport shuttle. Roll Eyes

quote:

Exclusive Formula 1® Experiences
Each $1 million package provides admission for a group of six people to a collection of official F1® activations not available anywhere else.

Packages include all-access to the most exclusive VIP spaces along the track such as the ultra-exclusive Wynn Grid Club located within the Paddock Club™, as well as once-in-a-lifetime F1® events and experiences throughout the weekend.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Pricing for Vegas is going to be insane, unfortunately.

Yeah, I was looking at tickets last week. American Express had a "Pre-Sale", but it was through Ticket Master, which I despise.

Started at $500 (probably plus their FEES) per person and you were only allowed within one small area, couldn't roam around at all. Thought about buying a pair to flip as the race got closer, but was afraid of getting stuck with them.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm fingers crossed for some insider access tickets via a contact involved in the preparation.

Supposedly the city was looking at having some free access areas (similar to Monaco?) where you could have circuit visibility without having track/facility access.

I suppose some hotel rooms might have visibility/line-of-sight, but most will be bundled & priced out of reach for the majority of people.

COTA was a $1k weekend (tickets/lodging) the 2 years we went & we enjoyed both years, but Austin has a lot to do outside the track & in town.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Looking like Sergio definitely blipped the throttle pre-Apex at Monaco a la Nelson Piquet Jr.

None of his other laps demonstrate that kind of throttle response; no other driver does that either if you watch all the replays.

Horner and Marco knew according to the reports, therefore, Max knew.

After watching the replays, it’s pretty cut and dried; disappointing, Perez.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Looking like Sergio definitely blipped the throttle pre-Apex at Monaco a la Nelson Piquet Jr.

None of his other laps demonstrate that kind of throttle response; no other driver does that either if you watch all the replays.

Horner and Marco knew according to the reports, therefore, Max knew.

After watching the replays, it’s pretty cut and dried; disappointing, Perez.

All over the internet, everyone's become an expert on the subject of data analysis. The truth is that it's not that cut and dried.
Two simple explanations for that trace that may not be obvious on the video.
One, he misjudged, turned in slightly early, which would result in going front end into the outside barrier at the exit so he tries to induce some rotation with the throttle. Just a little too much.
Two, he anticipated exit oversteer because he pinched off the exit (because of the too early apex) that would result in going backwards into the outside wall and tried to use the stand on it approach to lessen the impact.
I've seen lots of data of two different drivers with totally different traces that would lead the untrained eye to think one is way faster or slower when they are actually turning the same lap time.

Unless something else comes out to verify these claims, I wouldn't put too much faith into these media stories.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
View the Monoco quali race footage for yourself, and tell me what conclusions you arrive at.

IIRC, Checo was even on WDC points at this point in the season.

It’s fairly blatant to me… ymmv

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
This is why F1 needs to adopt the IndyCar rule about bringing out a red flag in qualifying: Deletion of top 2 times and automatically out of the next qualifying round. Going fast is irrelevant if you crash.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
One other item they conspiracy types don' seem to be talking about, Alonso also crashed that lap. Alonso's crash would have stopped any better laps too and Max would know that the Perez crash didn't actually cost him anything.

I do agree, they need to adopt the Indycar rule.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, with Hulkenberg in a Haas, they get to keep 1&1 as a sponsor since they want a German driver in the seat. I wonder with Nico and Kevin will play nice with each other since supposedly they weren’t too friendly.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Kmag made the comments that:

1: he didn’t really know Nico and was open to him as a competitive team driver and 2: he always respected hulk as a race driver.

Gunther made the comment about being interested in seeing the result of Hülkenberg pressuring KMag to do better.

~Robert A. Heinlein

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Great. More Drive To Survive “reality…”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Well, with Hulkenberg in a Haas, they get to keep 1&1 as a sponsor since they want a German driver in the seat. I wonder with Nico and Kevin will play nice with each other since supposedly they weren’t too friendly.

I read that they've since buried the hatchet after the "suck my balls" incident.
Both are pretty solid/consistent drivers, so should be good for the team. Neither really has a history, that I can recall, of getting too hot under the collar.

The Haas has been a decent car this year, with flashes of brilliance, hopefully they keep up with development & give the 2 a good car for '23.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
No surprised for qualifying. Red Bull 1&2, Ferrari 3&4, Mercedes 5&6. And there’s more rumors floating around with Ricciardo going to Red Bull as their Reserve Driver. It also circles back to his last 4 years of futility. Why leave your seat at Red Bull just to come back disgraced and as a simulator driver?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Remember back a few years ago. They made it pretty plain that Max was the future and anybody in the other car would be the #2, no matter what they said other wise.
Also they were offering Daniel in the $6-8 million range and Renault was giving him two years at $20 million per. Then he was well compensated at McLaren and they are even paying him next year to not drive at all.
Somewhere in all that, money does factor in, even though fans just want to think it’s only the competitiveness.
Yes, he took a shot that Renault and then McLaren would bring him more luck with a better car and a chance to win. But either way, he’s a wealthier guy as things turned out.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Hope he saved wisely because his pay next year is going to be peanuts compared to what Red Bull was paying him in 2018. And now he gets to carry Max AND Sergio’s jock strap…

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Hope he saved wisely because his pay next year is going to be peanuts compared to what Red Bull was paying him in 2018. And now he gets to carry Max AND Sergio’s jock strap…

He had a three year deal with McLaren and they found they couldn’t get out so they agreed to pay him a somewhat lesser amount to not drive in ‘23. Still, I recall something like $15 million.
After that, who knows.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s another snoozefest at Abu Dhabi again. Red Bull still doesn’t have a total domination season with Perez unable to overtake Leclerc. Ferrari managed not to fuck up a 2nd in the Constructor’s to Mercedes while Lewis soundly beaten in the points by George Russell like I predicted. Finally, Alpine managed to hold it together to beat Lando Norris in the Constructor’s for 4th place. It’ll be interesting to see what McLaren can do next year with 2 drivers competing for points.

Overall, can we please go back to having the Season Finale in Brazil? (I know we can’t because of all the oil money, but let me dream).

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Logan Sargent confirmed to Williams for 2023

US driver on the grid & 3 US races. Hope Williams can bring some upgrades in the off-season to bring them up the grid.

And with that the 2023 grid is set, barring any off-season surprises.