SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 231
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
The figure floated was $180 million per year for Newey

Eek Holy cash cow Batman, that is crazy!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, there will not be an American racing at the Australian Grand Prix this weekend. I wonder if their spare chassis got lost in that Excel spreadsheet...

https://racer.com/2024/03/22/w...p-after-albon-crash/

quote:
UPDATE: Albon to take over Sargeant’s Williams at Australian GP
March 22, 2024 5:20 AM ET

UPDATE, 6AM ET: Williams has now confirmed that it will have to withdraw the car crashed by Alex Albon in the opening practice session for the Australian Grand Prix. Albon will take over Logan Sargeant’s car for the remainder of the weekend. More details to follow.

Williams is down to one entry at the Australian Grand Prix after Alex Albon’s crash in FP1 that damaged his chassis, as the team lacks a spare this weekend.

Albon crashed exiting Turn 6, the car bottoming out after he ran over the outside curb and hitting the wall on the inside of the track, before then sliding across to the opposite wall ensuring damage to three corners. The team soon confirmed that he would not be taking part in the second session as it analyzed the extent of the damage.

Williams then confirmed to RACER that it doesn’t have a spare chassis at this point in the season, meaning if the chassis cannot be repaired overnight then the team will be down to one car for the remainder of the Melbourne weekend.

“There’s not much that can be salvaged,” Albon said after FP2. “So we’re going through it now, looking at where the damage is. It’s going to be tricky, that’s for sure. Obviously very frustrating for that reason.”

Explaining the crash, Albon says he was surprised by the car bottoming out again on landing back on track, after hitting the exit curb hard.

“Just exploring a little bit, went a bit wide, had a bit of an aggressive kind of curb strike and it lifted up the front. I honestly didn’t think anything of it at the time, I thought, ‘OK it’s fine, I’ll just back out and let the car land.’ But when I did land, I bottomed out pretty badly, and when it bottomed out, it just kind of spat me.

“So, frustrating. And obviously just feel bad for everyone back at the factory and here at the track. Did a lot of damage, so let’s see if we can get it repaired.”

Albon scored 27 points compared to a solitary point for teammate Logan Sargeant in 2023, and was running in sixth place in Australia last year when he crashed out of the race at the same corner. The Thai-British driver admits he is unsure if he could take over Sargeant’s car for the rest of the weekend if required.

Williams has yet to score this season, with Haas the only of the bottom five teams with a top ten in the opening two races courtesy of Nico Hulkenberg’s 10th place in Jeddah.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A bummer for Sargent, but suppose you'd want the more experienced driver in the car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Well, there will not be an American racing at the Australian Grand Prix this weekend. I wonder if their spare chassis got lost in that Excel spreadsheet...

https://racer.com/2024/03/22/w...p-after-albon-crash/

quote:
UPDATE: Albon to take over Sargeant’s Williams at Australian GP
March 22, 2024 5:20 AM ET

UPDATE, 6AM ET: Williams has now confirmed that it will have to withdraw the car crashed by Alex Albon in the opening practice session for the Australian Grand Prix. Albon will take over Logan Sargeant’s car for the remainder of the weekend. More details to follow.

Williams is down to one entry at the Australian Grand Prix after Alex Albon’s crash in FP1 that damaged his chassis, as the team lacks a spare this weekend.

Albon crashed exiting Turn 6, the car bottoming out after he ran over the outside curb and hitting the wall on the inside of the track, before then sliding across to the opposite wall ensuring damage to three corners. The team soon confirmed that he would not be taking part in the second session as it analyzed the extent of the damage.

Williams then confirmed to RACER that it doesn’t have a spare chassis at this point in the season, meaning if the chassis cannot be repaired overnight then the team will be down to one car for the remainder of the Melbourne weekend.

“There’s not much that can be salvaged,” Albon said after FP2. “So we’re going through it now, looking at where the damage is. It’s going to be tricky, that’s for sure. Obviously very frustrating for that reason.”

Explaining the crash, Albon says he was surprised by the car bottoming out again on landing back on track, after hitting the exit curb hard.

“Just exploring a little bit, went a bit wide, had a bit of an aggressive kind of curb strike and it lifted up the front. I honestly didn’t think anything of it at the time, I thought, ‘OK it’s fine, I’ll just back out and let the car land.’ But when I did land, I bottomed out pretty badly, and when it bottomed out, it just kind of spat me.

“So, frustrating. And obviously just feel bad for everyone back at the factory and here at the track. Did a lot of damage, so let’s see if we can get it repaired.”

Albon scored 27 points compared to a solitary point for teammate Logan Sargeant in 2023, and was running in sixth place in Australia last year when he crashed out of the race at the same corner. The Thai-British driver admits he is unsure if he could take over Sargeant’s car for the rest of the weekend if required.

Williams has yet to score this season, with Haas the only of the bottom five teams with a top ten in the opening two races courtesy of Nico Hulkenberg’s 10th place in Jeddah.

Pretty damn sure that Andretti-Cadillac would have had a spare chassis. And last year Vowles was one of the TP's on Sky last season confidently talking about Andretti needing to prove themselves and show what value they'd add to the sport before they'd be allowed to enter. Meanwhile William's barely even made it to pre-season testing this year, and due to lack of parts, are only capable of entering one car for the Aus GP...

Posts: 479 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure whythey don't have that chassis they need but that's a different question. I suspect the chassis shortage is due to a funding shortage.

Last season Albon scored all but one of their points, and the one that Sargent did score was a bit of a fluke. If Albon had scored ten times the number that Sargent scored, Williams would have been last.
Albon also out qualified him in every event.
So far this year, Sargent hasn't shown any obvious improvement in results although he looks a bit closer.

For all the talk about Andretti, they haven't been killing the competition over in Indy cars.
That's a series that is domestic, runs a several year old spec car sourced from Dallara that requires essentially tuning, no design, development, or building capability, and they have been doing terrible for the last several seasons. They’ve never been involved with a new, ground up engine from a company that has never been involved in this sort of racing before. Instead they’re intending to run another brand for the first year that is understood to be the least powerful on the grid.
Will they do better in a much more demanding environment? Who knows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
For all the talk about Andretti, they haven't been killing the competition over in Indy cars.

They've also never arrived at any race they've participated in during any series missing key components. That's a management issue, not a resource issue. If Williams really is that desperate, they could have run last year's chassis as a last resort instead of the clown show they've ended up with.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

They've also never arrived at any race they've participated in during any series missing key components. That's a management issue, not a resource issue. If Williams really is that desperate, they could have run last year's chassis as a last resort instead of the clown show they've ended up with.

Comparing their preparation level is apples and oranges.
F1 teams are required to design, develop and build most of their car in-house, unlike Indycar where they run a spec car (the same basic car for the last decade or so).
Each year the F1 cars are substantially different so pulling out a car from last years inventory isn't a practical consideration. You would also need to have enough matching spares on hand to run the two different configuration cars.

This is not unlike what happened to Haas when they were running Mick Schumacher.
He had a big crash where he was perfectly healthy to race but he didn't, really because they were short on parts. This is different because the guy that crashed isn't the guy that doesn't get to race.
That just happens to the lower budgeted teams on occasion.

While I agree, they should have been more prepared and I would have thought the FIA would have some sort of requirement to prevent something like this, there's no comparing the two series this way. You or I or anybody else, with a check for the required amount, could call up Dallara and have a chassis or two and spares in a week.

Another example, the Indycar series was going to introduce a hybrid kit this year, much of which would be developed by the two engine manufacturers (Honda & GM). They've had several years to develop this and could use the F1 experience as at least some guidance even though it's a much different specification.
They ran a few preseason tests and have put it on hold as they were behind on pulling it off.
Doing all this isn't as as easy as it looks.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each year the F1 cars are substantially different so pulling out a car from last years inventory isn't a practical consideration. You would also need to have enough matching spares on hand to run the two different configuration cars.

We're not in a different rule set. Last year's car is still legal. Is it slow? Yes. Will you look as incompetent as Williams looks right now? No. Besides, there's been more than enough examples of teams bringing radically different upgrades to the track for one driver while the other is still saddled with the old chassis etc.

quote:
This is not unlike what happened to Haas when they were running Mick Schumacher.
He had a big crash where he was perfectly healthy to race but he didn't, really because they were short on parts. This is different because the guy that crashed isn't the guy that doesn't get to race.
That just happens to the lower budgeted teams on occasion.

So your excuse to give Williams a pass is by saying another team on the grid that "looks like a bunch of fucking wankers?"

Regardless of their car setups and strategies, there has not been a professional category that Andretti has run in including IndyCar, IMSA, Formula E, Extreme E, or Australian Supercars where they have shown up without a backup plan to run all of their cars.

quote:
Another example, the Indycar series was going to introduce a hybrid kit this year, much of which would be developed by the two engine manufacturers (Honda & GM). They've had several years to develop this and could use the F1 experience as at least some guidance even though it's a much different specification.
They ran a few preseason tests and have put it on hold as they were behind on pulling it off.
Doing all this isn't as as easy as it looks.

You're excusing managerial incompetence with more managerial incompetence of which IndyCar management can give Doctorate Level classes in. Just like telling iRacing to piss off for Motorsport Games for a game they have no ability to produce, IndyCar hired Mahle to design a hybrid system and met with delay after delay before telling Chevy and Honda to figure it out without even giving them a rule set at the last minute. I can't even remember if they've had an oval test for the super capacitor or figured out how they're going to regen for certain.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You may want to review my earlier posts on this^^^.

I'm not excusing what happened with Williams at all, simply explaining what may have happened to cause this.

And again, I'm also a little surprised the FIA doesn't have some sort of requirement for the teams to prevent this from happening. The seem to have a rule for just about everything else and not being able to present two cars on the starting grid would seem to be a violation of some sort, short of some exceptional circumstances.
This accident on Friday wasn't an exceptional event. In fact it was relatively normal for a team to have this at any event and go on, business as usual. This happens (a chassis change) at some point, several times each season.

My original point was that to compare Andretti's recent Indycar team and the operational challenges they face to what any F1 team faces with the huge worldwide logistical issues and claim they would easily outperform the Williams team if they were on the grid next year, (or 2026) was not a valid comparison.

In Indycar, if your teams spare inventory happened to be short of a component, you can walk over to the Dallara support trailer with your checkbook and they'll take care of you.
All the major components, like the tub and suspension (except for shocks) are made by Dallara as per the rules, and are the same.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Today definitely ruffled some feathers.
The first 2 retirements were a shock. The last could've been much worse.
And, a massive facepalm for excessively long pitstops...Might've been on the verge of points otherwise.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I didn’t hear it, but I’ve heard that a commentator or Sainz himself said “This may help me get a job next year.”

If Sainz didn’t say that, he should have.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
And Alonso ends up with a 20 second penalty for his last lap driving, that the stewards blame the George Russell accident on.
Sounds like a B/S call to me.

Looked like George was laser focused on closing the gap to Alonso by late braking so much he wasn't watching Alonso. Then over reacted.
Meanwhile Alonso was backing off a little early to get a good exit out of the corner as it was the last lap.

The accident looked worse than it was due to the car position. It went through the gravel trap and bounced off the wall but the broken suspension sort of tucked under the car as it slid back out into the track, ending up on it's side.

The video from both cars. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpwvjmi3eg

posted Hide Post
I think I am going to cheer for Carlos this season. Ferrari is making a huge mistake. Hamilton cannot compete in the competitive era. He needed Mercedes and their massive spending to keep him winning. George Russell is Driver 1 at Mercedes.

Posts: 674 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
F1 has an analysis of the Alonso penalty.
They said he coasted & braked earlier than all prior laps, got back in it then braked for the turn.

To paraphrase.

From F1.com:

quote:

The stewards went on to state that telemetry showed Alonso lifted “slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race”, as well as braking “very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing)” before downshifting at a different point to usual.

He then upshifted again and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner. Alonso explained that his plan was to slow earlier but that he had got it "slightly wrong" and “had to take extra steps to get back up to speed”, but the stewards said that this manoeuvre had “created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars”.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason the car went over was the retention of the wheels. Had they separated and rolled away the car would have likely remained upright. Fortunately they didn't and thus cause additional hazards and the car tipping up on it's side clearly didn't cause any injuries.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Was anyone else cheering when Max's wheel imploded and you realized he was done for the day? Lap 4 of that race might be the most exciting thing I saw in all of 2023 and so far in 2024.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Nice to see a different winner but the race was still for 2nd and back.
Great to see Carlos rebound so well after the appendix surgery took him out of the last event.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked he's performing at such a level after any kind of -ectomy surgery.
The fact he was in the Saudi pits for the race, maybe 18hrs post-op, was shocking.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the longshot odds are of Sainz pulling a Hill.
Win the WDC & lose your drive.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That was a fun race to watch. We were traveling this weekend, so had to make effort to avoid any social media until we got home and watched race Sunday evening.

Settled into a drowsy well-this-WAS-fun in last couple laps then BAM!!! I don't doubt that the stewards actually saw what they saw to penalize Fernando; looks like the old fox just outfoxed himself a little bit this time around!

The failures of several cars was certainly unusual, but maybe not so much so early in the season. A bit after the Max incident we realized that if that brake had exploded 5-15 seconds later, someone(s) could have been seriously injured in his crew right there taking the wheel off. Lucky timing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12437 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post