SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive. Login/Join 
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
After we finished washing a car, my Father in Law remarked that it was "Shining like a dime in a goat's ass!".

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More slippery than a minnow's dick.

Posts: 18 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When referring to something very heavy...
"Careful boy, that thing's got a lot of gravity in it!"

And when referring to poor, rocky ground. My Dad would say...
"The only thing that land is good for is to stop a hole in the ground."

And often heard from a former male co-worker...
"That beats anything I ever pulled my skirt up to"

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSlaug
posted Hide Post
Madder than a wet hen.

Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Posts: 135 | Location: Flower Mound, TX | Registered: July 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Couple have already mentioned our ubiquitous New England "wicked".

"Whereabouts are you?" for FTF deals is another.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

"Take and" do something, such as "take and cut this board" or "take and go to the store".

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father used to say Its going to be a bad day at Black Rock. You knew you were in trouble then.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Its raining wet sun shine.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A few others...

"Can't find his ass with both hands."

Referring to someone's intelligence; "softer than a sneaker full of shit."

When someone is being stubborn/mulish/cognitively impaired; "you're being thick."

And from my father, who is a living example of the breed...

"You can always tell an Englishman, but you can't tell him much."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Drunker than a hundred Indians.

Shaking like a dog shittin' peach stones.

Sweating like a whore in church.

Posts: 20104 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Yinz.

Plural for a group. Are "yinz" going to church? Are "yinz" going to the game?

Pittsburghese...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother in law when my kids were infants you to exclaim "You're such a pistol," when talking to them.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123Big Grinuring the earlier days of the internets for me, 1994 or so, I saw "uff da" or "unf da" but I never heard it spoken aloud and I surely have no idea what it means.

Uff Da is the typical spelling. It's probably Scandinavian in origin, but I don't think it is a real word in any language.

It's usually a response to someone who has just told you about a nasty predicament which may or may not involve the speaker or listener directly(but often does). It is a socially acceptable way for everyone from ladies in the church basement to the town mayor to say: "How in the flyin' fuck do you expect to fix that?" The meaning is understood and no one is offended.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not sure what region I picked it up in, but "shittin' pink twinkies".

"See the look on 'ol boy's face? He was shittin' pink twinkies".

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainin like a cow pissin on a flat rock

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
That dog won't hunt

Which has nothing to do with a dog.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
You're more useless than tits on a bull.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Something my uncle(RIP) used to say when he was leaving - "I'm off like a velcro prom dress."

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard occasionally around here in 'Pennsyltucky'. . .

"You're noth'n but a heevahava!"

"Throw the cow over the fence some hay now." (must be said in a PA Dutch farmer dialect drawl)

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Bless your heart.

So much in three words.

^^^^ For the south.

So crooked he could hide behind a corkscrew.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post