SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite regional phrase that is colorful and descriptive. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate my baby brother.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robotoid:
spoda

spoda be on da other side of 8 Mile

Since we are doing Detroit area: The Inner City Grand Prix. With references to The Lodge Expressway.

If you have driven those you would understand....Think far left lane, posted 55 mph traveling 80 or more and at the last minute cut across three lanes to make the exit.....

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
"Yuns jag" is Pittsburghese for "You're lying/annoying/teasing/BSing". Yep, it's different there. They even put French fires inside their sandwiches!

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Skin 'er back

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don't know whether to shit or go blind.

Drunker than a waltzing pissant.

Colder than a well-digger's ass.

Posts: 26907 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in North Cackalacky, after a hard days work in the sun, I'd hear brick tenders say,"I'm slap give out!"

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
From my old man. "Busier then a 21 year old hooker at a baptist preachers convention on a Saturday night."

"Colder then frog pussy out there."

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
"Yuns jag" is Pittsburghese for "You're lying/annoying/teasing/BSing". Yep, it's different there. They even put French fires inside their sandwiches!

"YINZE" Pittsburgh for "you'ins".

Gum Band - Pittsburgh rubber band.

dahntahn - Pittsburgh for down town.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Busier'n a one-armed paperhanger.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Don't know whether to shit or go blind.

Drunker than a waltzing pissant.

Colder than a well-digger's ass.

Which reminds me of two more:

Didn't know whether to shit or go blind, so I closed one eye and farted.

I'm so confused I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my ass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A couple from SE PA/Philly I can think of:

"Awhile": "Can I get you some drinks awhile" said the waitress
"Jeet": Did You Eat?
"Jew eat": variant of Did You Eat? ( was in school in NY state and said that to a guy in my class who was Jewish, and he actually thought I was fucking with him)
"Down The Shore" or "Downashore": at the beach in New Jersey
"Yuze": You all (Philly equivalent of Pittsburgh "Yinz")

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luckier than a woman with no pants standing in front of the bar at closing time!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's so confused, he don't know if his ass was punched or drilled.

He's/She's so ugly, he's gotta sneak up on a mud puddle to get a drink of water.

Well I can't dance and it's too windy to pick rock, might as well have a beer.

She's so pretty, I'd be on her like a duck on a June bug.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
Can't say it's regional, but a few of my favorites from my grandpa:

Boy, you are ATE UP with the dumbass.

Son, you have to be at least 10% smarter than the hammer.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
How skanky is she?

"I wouldn't fuck her with your dick".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:

"YINZE" Pittsburgh for "you'ins".

Gum Band - Pittsburgh rubber band.

dahntahn - Pittsburgh for down town.
Some of the folk around here use yinze but I've never heard the others.

Two other West Pa-isms:

Overdare = over there
Up air = up there

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fixin to open me a can of Whoop Ass.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I traveled WI & the UP, as a greeting, I'd hear, "ya hey, dare!" Being from Oklahoma, I was told it's the same as' "Howdy!"

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Uglier than a hogs butt sewed up with a loggin chain.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That chili I ate gave me the green apple splatters.

Don't eat the chili. It'll give you a seious case of the mexican two step.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post