SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What movies cannot be remade?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What movies cannot be remade? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Star Wars.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What are you talking about? It was remade with Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

I nominate Big Trouble in Little China.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Correct, but I was taking the first two installments of the final (for now) trilogy as a whole. Strong out of the box, but then a complete fail.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I am struggling to come up with a remake that was actually better than the original.

Any takers?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I am struggling to come up with a remake that was actually better than the original.

Any takers?

The 2004 remake of Man on Fire with Denzel Washington was much, much better than the 1987 original with Scott Glenn.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Any takers?

The 2004 remake of Man on Fire with Denzel Washington was much, much better than the 1987 original with Scott Glenn.

I would agree with this.

The Maltese Falcon (1941) was much better than the 1931 version. Never saw the 1936 version but I hear it was not as good as the 1931 version

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Correct, but I was taking the first two installments of the final (for now) trilogy as a whole. Strong out of the box, but then a complete fail.

I was being sarcastic but it seems like you consider the latest trilogy to be a reboot rather than actual sequels to the previous trilogies.

quote:

Any takers?

The Thing

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine if Double Indemnity with EG Robinson, Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray we’re remade in today’s Hollywood Frown ...not to mention The Birds

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I was being sarcastic but it seems like you consider the latest trilogy to be a reboot rather than actual sequels to the previous trilogies.

I know, and so was I for the most part. I don't think it should be a reboot, but it should be true to its DNA. TFA basically was, TLJ was decidedly not.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I think The Island of Dr. Moreau was better than The Island of Lost Souls.
The 1977 version of King Kong was better.

The Sand Pebbles can't be remade. Gallipoli can't be remade. Also The Right Stuff.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3866 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my choices already mentioned, so I'll add:

Charade.
Great story, perfectly cast.

And...I had to come back and edit when this popped in my head; as good a nominee as any could be, I think...

The Silence of the Lambs.

I'm only stopping to honor OP's guidelines. I could think of dozens of movies that couldn't be made better than the original.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
this is a great ten minute clip on some of what makes Casablance such a great film.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullitt

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
Bullitt

Tell that to Chad McQueen and Gas Monkey Garage. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGiwESoX4Gc

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Animal House

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any takers?

Heat.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12113 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Dr. Strangelove

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Airplane! Of course.

Forget it was a remake of Zero Hour....

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Black Scorpion and other equally horrible horror films of the 1950s. The special effects with a giant rubber scorpion attacking the denizens of Mexico City was incredible. It was different because the giant scorpions were not caused by radiation but were released by a gigantic volcanic erruption. Much better without silly computer graphics.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Some great movies in this list.

I’ll add “Pulp Fiction” to it. The original cast was as much the movie as the script.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post