SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post a Song/Artist (or Two) That You’re Pretty Sure Most Forum Members Are Not Familiar With Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Since I know it’s fruitless to ask that you don’t post a long list of songs/artists, I’ll just say that if you really want someone to listen, you won’t post a bunch (at least not all at once). I’d appreciate a few words about the artist, like where they’re from, do they write their own music, etc. I would say this is especially true if you don’t know how to embed, please resist just posting a YT link.

The first artist is Eilen Jewell, from Boise, Idaho. She’s a singer/songwriter and she does tour. Her guitar player is Jerry Miller, who was a founding member of the San Francisco band, Moby Grape. He’s a very tasteful player.

A Boy Named Banjo is a band out of Nashville. Three years ago (or so) we went to an outdoor Country music festival in Buena Vista, Colorado with our daughter and SIL. There was a main stage, and there was a big tent off to the side where the non-headliners played. When I walked into the tent this band was just kicking off this song; it’s kind of anthemic, and I liked it immediately. We were there a couple days and I spent most of my time in that tent.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Kurt Vile

He's a musician from the Philly area that used to be in the band The War On Drugs from 2003-2008. I really dig his lo-fi, retro-y sound, it's very cool to me:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/FlAyEN07JjI

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks PA, never heard of him, and I like it

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Caroline Movement - Highway Appeal

Sort of in the spirit of the Jayhawks or Pure Prairie League

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bob "Slim" Dunlap, Minneapolis guitar player. Played with Curtiss A, The Spooks, The Replacements

801 Live- one off live album, recorded in the late 70s, from a band including Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera, Simon Phillips.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sofie B. Hawkins.
Same song, two version as requested by record company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6r-k9Bk6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQpbRN1FrE

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Foy Vance is one of the best vocalists alive, imo. He's also a fabulous songwriter and just flat out one of my favorite artists around right now. There are times when I feel like I just listen to nothing but this guy for weeks at a time.

Irish guy who grew up in America while his father was a minister. Not religious music but obviously a big gospel influence. I have a hard time choosing which songs to post.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm sure a lot of you know who Ambrosia is. Did you know their albums contain stuff like this?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have posted thus far. I have listened to every song. Some, just didn’t appeal to me and I didn’t listen all the way through, others I really enjoyed.

I liked Bob Dunlap, I gravitate to spare, roots, performances.

I thought Sophie B was good too, although I couldn’t pick out much difference in the two recordings.

I thought Foy Vance was the best in the thread thus far. His voice is different, but his delivery reminded me of Van Morrison. Of the two I liked “The Sapling” best.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I liked Bob Dunlap, I gravitate to spare, roots, performances.

Here's a couple more from the same album.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Some, just didn’t appeal to me and I didn’t listen all the way through

Wink

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
oddball, I liked “Girlfiend” from Dunlap.

I thought Jackson Emmer was good; he reminded me a bit of Ryan Bingham, and that’s a good thing

When I listened to Wardruna and Aurora, I thought to myself, “This sounds like music to accompany Ragnar while performing a Blood Eagle on an enemy. Then I looked up Wardruna—-that’s exactly what it is Big Grin

Gee, I hope I’m not the only one listening to the songs submitted by your brothers in the Forum, there’s some good stuff in here.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Stan Rogers from Ontario, is a Canadian singer/songwriter. I guess he's kind of a Canadian icon, but I hadn't heard of him until I was searching for sea shanties several years ago and came across his song, Barrett's Privateers.

When Canadians were asked to pick an alternate national anthem, Stan's song, Northwest Passage, came out as the winner.

Unfortunately, Stan died in an aircraft fire in 1983 in Kentucky. His son carries on his legacy as a singer.

I'll leave you with two songs from Stan. The first is a song he covered by a Scottish folk singer by the name of Archie Fischer called The Witch of the Westmorland. Stan put his own spin on the song as he said to make it more understandable to his Canadian audience, but Archie's version is very good too and you should check it out.

The second song I find very relatable. I left a small town in Tennessee with many dying industries to move to north central Montana for a very good job. Many of the lyrics of this song are thoughts I've had myself. I don't like cowboy clothes and everything here is brown and dusty most of the year.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Can't embed from my phone but I wonder if anyone here listens to James McMurtry. Seems like he'd be a hit here. This song is awesome. Ray Wylie Hubbard also recorded it and his version is wonderful, as well.

Choctaw Bingo
https://youtu.be/AWEJPqJtZsk

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post