SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried the EHT 4 Grain?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
No CEHT Four Grain, but I've been guzzling down a lot of Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain lately. WSR & OGD114, 3:2. Nicely refrigerated and served cold in my Yeti Lowball - great bottle emptying blend for cheap & easy drinking! Don't knock it until you've tried it . . . . . . Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ You're killing me (refrigerated *and* a home made blend/vatting of high rye and wheat).

What's up is down.

As long as you like it...

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ You're killing me (refrigerated *and* a home made blend/vatting of high rye and wheat).

What's up is down.

As long as you like it...

Smile

Ha, ha - but I don't like MM, Larceny, Rebel Yell 10, FRY, and a whole bunch of other Beam juice. That's the beauty of booze, eh? Everybody has different palates. Big Grin

And if I put the bottle in the fridge, I save on ice (heh, heh). Cool

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile. I was able to pick up a B and a T tonight at Total Wine while beer and wine shopping. Now I need a Pens win tonight to go along with these.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Nice score

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jigray I will be trying it this weekend. I'll let you know. There is a review on breakingbourbon.com though.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
coworker brought a box of these back from a Ky trip last week (we have a big project underway in Lexington.) Oh. My. God. They are incredible.

https://makersmarkshop.com/16o...rbon-chocolates.html

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10468 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't like most liquor/liqueur chocolates, but I'd like to try those.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Jigray I will be trying it this weekend. I'll let you know. There is a review on breakingbourbon.com though.

Thanks, Deq. I entered the lottery, and results will come out Thursday. 270 bottles for VA and demand is down because it's spring. so I figure better than a long shot. I hadn't caught the review on BB. interesting write up. Review sounds like a decent bet particularly at $70 here, but your opinion will seal the deal.

I decided not to enter for the Old Rip 25. I don't think I could begin to appreciate bourbon at $72.00 a finger.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Second go at the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Quite good, cooled off a bit. Great tobacco flavor at the front, citrus notes, and the finish is longer than my first round. One thing Im disappointed on is the very thin, watery mouth feel.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10468 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Second go at the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Quite good, cooled off a bit. Great tobacco flavor at the front, citrus notes, and the finish is longer than my first round. One thing Im disappointed on is the very thin, watery mouth feel.

agree if it were a bit higher proof itd be a serious winner. But I think overall it was the best showing in awhile for the OFBB.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Success on the EHT. 2 bottles of the 4 grain and one single barrel so far. Still waiting for all precincts to report in, and waiting on Deq to confirm the 4 grain is worth the $70 admission.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Trying tonight. Remember my reviews are extra snobby so if its good u know its real good! Lol

Distributor said next year small batch will most likely be allocated. Hype or truth i dont know but i got small batch and it was all gone in a day.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Did a Total Wine and More run yesterday and picked up some more Woodford Reserve which I really like and a bottle of one called Redemption to give a try.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Woohoo! Success on the EHT. 2 bottles of the 4 grain and one single barrel so far. Still waiting for all precincts to report in, and waiting on Deq to confirm the 4 grain is worth the $70 admission.

remember i am very snobby but this eht 4 grain isnt worth 70 bucks let alone 45. it tastes like a bland over oaked lot b with zero complexity. Id have told you this whiskey is 6 years old if I didnt read the breaking bourbon review. I dont get any of the fruity notes or tastes and I have a very good palette. It's very rye heavy and nothing special. I would tell you 1792 high rye is better. I would go against buying more than 1 if you are dead set on it but consider me unimpressed.

i drink my whiskey neat and let it sit for quite awhile and even added a drop or two of water. I give it a ho-hum of 2-5 stars. if the price were 30 bucks id say maybe 3-5 stars but I would pass on this all day at 70$

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Deq. When you get over about $50.00, there are not many worth it.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ya only other thing to consider is u liked lotb over ORVW and i was visa verca so it could be u love it but it want spectacular by any means and i wasnt the only one with that opinion.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I think we were talking about different releases for the Lot B/ORVW, and I wasn't in love with either. Mine were both Fall 2015.

I have been in this situation before, and you're right, if I decide to buy I definitely want to sample one before picking up the second.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
OK, I just picked up an EH Taylor Single Barrel I won in the lottery, and it may not be the Barrel Proof, but it is FUCK ME good. Desert island bourbon, IMHO. It had been a while since I had any, and I felt like if anyone held a knife to my throat and asked, it would be in my top five or six. People sometimes say the small batch is better. Well, it isn't. And, it ain't even close. Worth the extra $30.00 all day long. I have a couple of bottles downstairs from 2015, and I can't say whether they're this good, but don't miss this latest release.