SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Did a little Bourbon tourism on the way to the Outer Banks last month.

L-R
Smooth Ambler Founders Cask Strength Batch #5 6 years old, 126 proof (this is 100% made in WV)

Smooth Ambler Double Cask Finish. Aged first in sherry casks and then in cognac casks Batch #1, 6 years old, 117.6 proof

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Weller Special Reserve (unobtainium in MI)

Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream

Honey aged in Woodford Reserve barrels

Bourbon Trail haul by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
What's funny is I was just fixing to take and post a picture of a half full (half empty?) bottle of Woodford's double oak I bought last week to share with some friends.....

Wild Turkey 80 proof is my every evening friend.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I sampled Woodford Double Oaked, Bulleit and Four Roses tonight. Really didn’t care for any of them near as much as I like regular Woodford.

On a different note, I really liked Whistle Pig 10 year.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Finally scored one of those elusive Eagle Rare bottles. It wasn't cheap. Hoping to enjoy it soon. I got the last one on the shelf.

Finally took my first shot. It was very nice. Flavorful and smooth.

But BT is about $20 on sale (2-3 times a year?) and about $25 normally but the ER is about $50. I'm not sure ER is 2x better than BT.

There was one bottle of ER left on the shelf today for $50; BT is on sale right now for $20. Decisions.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Finally scored one of those elusive Eagle Rare bottles. It wasn't cheap. Hoping to enjoy it soon. I got the last one on the shelf.

Finally took my first shot. It was very nice. Flavorful and smooth.

But BT is about $20 on sale (2-3 times a year?) and about $25 normally but the ER is about $50. I'm not sure ER is 2x better than BT.

There was one bottle of ER left on the shelf today for $50; BT is on sale right now for $20. Decisions.....

Eagle Rare was $28 forever and ever. Everything is inflated. But if you think of bourbon as dots on a linear graph of price and quality (perceived) then you'll probably just drink one bourbon for the rest of your life. And there's no fun in that.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
It's full on hunting season here, just waiting for the next big drop! What has everyone found lately?

Side note, where is a good place for pictures? I've had some good stuff lately, just not having luck with the old photobucket account...

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had a couple Bulleit Rye Old Fashioned at a co-worker's going away party. Quite good.

Should have a bottle of Ranger Creek inbound from a vendor seminar.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My favorite stores have been sold to Patel and friends Frown

Elmer T Lee $349

Weller 12 $399

Plain old Sazerac $69

Willet Rye $199

Assholes!!

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
It's full on hunting season here, just waiting for the next big drop! What has everyone found lately?

Side note, where is a good place for pictures? I've had some good stuff lately, just not having luck with the old photobucket account...

I have not had the opportunity to hit very many stores recenlty. However, there was some Eagle Rare and Blantons in the Cincinnati area over the past couple of weeks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
My favorite stores have been sold to Patel and friends Frown

Elmer T Lee $349

Weller 12 $399

Plain old Sazerac $69

Willet Rye $199

Assholes!!

That is crazy. There are just so many good bottles available for less.

Elmer T is on my short list, but not at that price.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A liquor store near me allocates hard-to-get whiskey by lottery. I got drawn for a bottle of Weller (green label) and the best part is that they charge the MSRP. $40, and it is a really nice drink.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
The State does the same thing here. Only been drawn once so far. A bottle of Weller Single Barrel for $50.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Daughter came to visit us from MI today.

She brought me a late Birthday present, a barrel pick of Caribou Crossing.

I am thrilled beyond words.

I went back into afib today, so I will not be enjoying this bottle this evening, even though I am now back in normal sinus rhythm.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
Had my first drop in over two years a couple nights ago. Laphroaig An Cuan Mor, cut with some distilled water. It was enjoyable. My wife can't stand the smell though, so I'll be enjoying it on a very limited basis. The An Cuan Mor is my favorite, and is reserved for special occasions, as it's kind of hard to get. My regular go-to is 10yr Glenmorangie.

I realize now that my comment had nothing to do with bourbon. My apologies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Had my first drop in over two years a couple nights ago. Laphroaig An Cuan Mor, cut with some distilled water. It was enjoyable. My wife can't stand the smell though, so I'll be enjoying it on a very limited basis. The An Cuan Mor is my favorite, and is reserved for special occasions, as it's kind of hard to get. My regular go-to is 10yr Glenmorangie.

I realize now that my comment had nothing to do with bourbon. My apologies.

Scotch, pretty close to Bourbon.
You're in the same game, just the ballpark next door. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the big Tequila craze about 20 years ago. Tequila became really main stream, and people found out that there was something out there more than Jose Cuervo.

Prices of Tequila went up, then (allegedly) Mexico was worried about an Agave shortage, oh and let's not forget the poor Jimadors (farmers that harvested Agave for Tequila), and how they were a dying breed, tradition not able to be passed on....
Prices of Tequila went up again.

Bourbon is back, and has been for a few years now. True, for some of us, it never went anywhere.
I'm just hoping that
A) Vodka or Gin becomes "en vogue" pretty quickly!
B) Forbes magazine would stop publishing their "Top 10 Bourbons" list!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Well, if you want to get the attention at your local liquor store, just go buy $1000 worth of booze for a party and the goodies from the back start rolling out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nice score

Are you in the garage because you have yet to ask for forgiveness? Big Grin

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Nice score

Are you in the garage because you have yet to ask for forgiveness? Big Grin

Haha... I only bought the MM and the Weller FP on my dime. Everything else the company bought. Smile

I'll keep the leftovers from the party.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice score!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve