SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
Anyone see Stagg Jr. batch 16 in the wild yet?

Not yet. That is a unicorn around here.

Do you watch the monthly Unicorn Auction on-line? Lots of really nice bottles, many bringing a premium.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Not yet. That is a unicorn around here.

Do you watch the monthly Unicorn Auction on-line? Lots of really nice bottles, many bringing a premium.

No, I’ve never heard of that, and it sounds like I should be afraid! Idaho and Oregon are the only two states I’ve bought anything in and both are state controlled/fixed pricing and allocation. Idaho does a lottery for the BTAC and some of the other ‘rare’ liquors. We can’t buy online and have it shipped here, but I’ve never tried.

Years ago I received a bottle of Basil Hayden via Karma when I still lived in Texas, that’s my only interaction. I thought it was illegal to ship liquor?

I’ve only bought at MSRP, so when I saw you post about not leaving Blanton’s on the shelf at $100-125, I was shocked. I have a hard time justifying it at $59.95, what we pay here. Stagg Jr is a unicorn here too, from what I can tell. I do t know how I lucked into a bottle, but I love the stuff, and it’s $49.95 here. I’d take it over Blanton’s every day of the week.

The only Weller we can get is 107 Antique. No special reserve, full proof, CYPB. The 12 is a lottery draw.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How did you like it?

I have tried the 1910 and 1902, enjoying both very much.

1897 is still on my list to try.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I like it, it’s a little on the bananas foster side, but I like it. If it were more practical, I’d gladly get some for you and we could swap for that Weller which is so much more available to you. Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
First time making clear ice. It worked!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Nice! What method did you use?

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Distilled water in a Coleman 6 pack cooler. leave top off and place it in the freezer for 24 hours.

Remove it from the freezer and place upside down in a large pan and wait for it to drop free.

the bottom inch or so will not be completely frozen. bust it open and allow the water to drain and remove the sharp edges with a large serrated knife.

Score the ice with the serrated knife and use a rubber or wooden mallet and the serrated knife to cut the ice into the size and shape you want.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube.

Amazingly, mine came out pretty darn good.

My wife thinks I am an idiot. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

My wife thinks I am an idiot. Smile

Same thing I get when I'm making big balls of ice.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this time tomorrow I’ll be able to add a Baker’s 107 to my collection.

Anyone had it? How does it compare?

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
A good score on my latest trip to SFL this week.

NRA Life Member

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Is that the pigskin batch of Bookers?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Tagalong. It's fucking HOT.

NRA Life Member

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
I've got a bottle of the Tagalong, excited to try it sometime this fall. I'm actually looking forward to the Baker's my nephew picked up even more. I've had Booker's before, but never the Baker's 107.

Is Buffalo Trace hard to come by for some of you? Seems to always be on the shelf here. Confused

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Since this is back at the top... I'll step in... my bourbon is Wild Turkey 80 proof but my store has not had the 750ml bottles for well over a month now and I've had to switch to Bullet... (sp)

As a side note... I've got an order in for some Pappy VanWinkle for this November... but that is going to some friends I owe a good bit to. I actually tried some years ago and did not like it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A Pappy auction

ETA: I have no affiliation with this, a friend ( he has no affiliation either) sent me the link and I bought a ticket

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/ar...3-b8c3-e2ab8489bae0?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Buffalo Trace hard to come by for some of you? Seems to always be on the shelf here. Confused

Yes, at least here in Orlando. I have better luck in SFL but a 1.75 can range in price from $39-$80 depending on the store.

NRA Life Member

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh how nice it was when Pappy 15 was only $50/ea and the 20yo was only $90.

Last time I bought a bunch of their Rye I paid about $50/ea and Lot B was regularly $45 (in TX and CO).

Gawd, popularity has thoroughly fucked up this scene.

That's really just ~$500 worth of whiskey at regular prices, for years. before everything went off the rails, now valued at "$18,000".

Pure craziness. People are so weird.

(poor kid, I hope the auction helps that family. Will gran a ticket to help.)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully this time tomorrow I’ll be able to add a Baker’s 107 to my collection.

Anyone had it? How does it compare?

I really like the new version of Baker's and find it a reasonable value, especially given the ridiculous markup in price that Beam hit Booker's with.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had Booker's before, but never the Baker's 107.

Within the broader Beam lineup, Bakers and Basil Hayden are the same juice, aged differently and at different proofs, and both are of their High Rye mash, separate from Beam White, Black, Knob Creek, and Bookers who are borne from their normal mash but all at different ages and proofs.

Bakers is good, if you lke higher Rye expressions, such as Four Roses, Bulleit, etc. The only complaints I recall hearing about Basil Haydens or Bakers is that Basil is a touch pricey for its lower proof expression.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post