SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Just saw a note today that there will be no 13 year old Pappy Van Winkle Rye sold this year. Distillery only has 12 year old inventory, so rather than remove the 13 year old label, they are just skipping the rye this year.....


I skip that one every year, lol too hard to find!



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Just saw a note today that there will be no 13 year old Pappy Van Winkle Rye sold this year. Distillery only has 12 year old inventory, so rather than remove the 13 year old label, they are just skipping the rye this year.....

It's been coming, with the ever dwindling of the 13yo inventory at ~250 cases per year.

I'll have to catch up on the skinny, but I wonder if the 12yr is Buffalo Trace aged and just not ready yet, or not ready-enough yet, given the standard it'll be measured against. From a brand perception and value perspective, releasing the replacement prematurely could be catastrophic. It definitely makes sense to skip x-years until its ready.

The 13yr set the bar very, very high, and none of that juice was from BT nor had been distilled in a long time, IIRC, the juice itself was more than 25yrs old, in terms of its Distillation dates (and it was a mix of, IIRC, more than three batches/sources).

This transition, from the preBT 13yr to its BT replacement, will be interesting.
 
Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I suspect it may if its like the saz 18. Luckily i know a friend with an unopened 2012 bottle



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I suspect it may if its like the saz 18. Luckily i know a friend with an unopened 2012 bottle

I'm interested to hear what you think about it after y'all drink that one.

It's not remotely "bad", it's quite clearly "good whiskey" and a "tasty rye", but I found its ROI, so to speak, grossly disproportionate to its cost and hassle to chase down, and definitely, to me, not worth 5+x BabySaz. Ultimately, I think my beef with it is partially one of proof. Nowadays, to me, a 90 proof bottle of hooch has to be very, very good to really grab my attention, as all but the most amazing seem a bit (and are literally) just a tad too watered down for my taste.

To me, for example, the 4yr 110p Willett rye was 3x better than Saz18, at half the price, and it's a much more robust flavor, proof aside.

ymmv

Smile
 
Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I suspect it may if its like the saz 18. Luckily i know a friend with an unopened 2012 bottle

I'm interested to hear what you think about it after y'all drink that one.

It's not remotely "bad", it's quite clearly "good whiskey" and a "tasty rye", but I found its ROI, so to speak, grossly disproportionate to its cost and hassle to chase down, and definitely, to me, not worth 5+x BabySaz. Ultimately, I think my beef with it is partially one of proof. Nowadays, to me, a 90 proof bottle of hooch has to be very, very good to really grab my attention, as all but the most amazing seem a bit (and are literally) just a tad too watered down for my taste.

To me, for example, the 4yr 110p Willett rye was 3x better than Saz18, at half the price, and it's a much more robust flavor, proof aside.

ymmv

Smile


Im surprised you say that about the ROI. I mean IF and of course IF you can find it at retail for 60 bucks I heard its well worth it which puts it in range of the Willett 4 year and well under the 6yr EHTaylor.

Secondary market or not so much.

I agree the lower proof stuff is tough for me. seems too watered down.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Picked up my 6 bottles of Weller 12 tonight, and surprise, they are 1L bottles.




"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
 
Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Picked up my 6 bottles of Weller 12 tonight, and surprise, they are 1L bottles.


Nice score.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Plan to trade some of it, but efforts in the past prove that's easier said than done. Guy I trade with wants to trade price for price, but scarcity and taste preference matter more, IMO.




"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
 
Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Plan to trade some of it, but efforts in the past prove that's easier said than done. Guy I trade with wants to trade price for price, but scarcity and taste preference matter more, IMO.


says the guy with the lower dollar amount hooch Razz Smile

Thats the problem with W12. While everyone wants it, people would rather spend their 90 dollars a bottle on BTAC or something else. After all its just weller twelve and goes for nearly 22 a bottle. As far as scarcity, well you got a case, so its not that scarce. Not many walking around with a case of pappy, BTAC, Heavenhill, Willett, these days.

Until buffalo trace raises the price I don't think people will see the value that you do. But I could be wrong. And besides you got a nice drinker for cheap if a trade doesnt work out.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Those Weller 12s are what you drink and share casually and without much care as most others are freaking out, overpaying, and chasing its cousins. It's a good Wheater, priced fairly. It's "awesome well/middle shelf/socializing whiskey", at it's regular price. But, to me, there are too many other options if it starts to climb higher, in the $50+ range.

But it's never been that hard to get for me, either, so there's that. I'm sure there are lots of folks who have never even had VW 12+, and for them Weller12 is a rare treat that at least gets them in the ballpark of its more famous cousins. I bet it has extra value in those circles, and in other locales with lotteries and such, much of which is foreign to me.
 
Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I ordered a case almost 3 years ago. I got 1/2 a case, 6 bottles, although liters not fifths. When I ordered, it was suggested getting special orders filled stood a better chance if I ordered a full case. When they informed me VA got maybe 4-5 cases a year total, I figured I wouldn't hold my breath.

I can't begin to explain why some states get more of some stuff than others, but we seem to get very little of the good stuff that people really want, and some things we just don't get at all. No Willet ever, for instance, so, scarcity is apparently relative. Suffice it to say, Weller 12 in VA is apparently more rare than almost anything you can name here.




"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
 
Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
That suprises me. You might go to bourbon exchange and post a for trade.

As far as the number I know since the high end BT stuff is allocated it depends on how much sazerac sales your liquor store does. More sazerac sales, im talking shit vodka etc, = more pappy, weller and btac.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Remember, Deq, we are single channel distribution. So BT has one customer here, the Commonwealth of VA, and I would assume that makes them a large and potentially powerful customer. Whether ABC chooses to wield that power (which I doubt), or how allocations are determined in an instance like this is a mystery.

I heard from my local store manager that this Weller came in as a result of a customer in Virginia with a reputation at ABC for being a nuisance getting a hold of someone at BT with influence and complaining that VA wasn't getting any Weller. Lo and behold... Weller. If true, was this an example of the inefficiencies that arise when the state engages in private enterprise? Bureaucrats doing a job instead of working in the best interests of their customers?




"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
 
Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Allocations are purely about money and politics, IME.

Most of the great whiskey that ends up in Louisiana, for instance, goes to the casinos and fancy restaurants who can and do charge big bucks per drink/shot, and whose reputations depend on such wares, with the remainder being fought over by the little people.

Same with most everything else, really.

I doubt a single call from a whining customer can have much effect on how it goes. In my past personal emails with Julian VW, all he did (which I appreciated) was clear up who (which Distributor) got what, so that I could at least call around with some knowledge of what went where.

As I recall, the Distributor has the most say in the matter, and they service their biggest and most important customers first and foremost. And by federal law, the 3-Tier system ensures the Manufacturer, Distributor, and Retailers remain separate/independent.

In VA or any State with State Stores, the 3-Tier system remains, the State just runs all stores, but they still have to buy it from the regional/State level (private) Distributors, IIRC.
 
Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The producer decides how much of anything to sell to each distributor and the distributor decides how much of anything to sell to each shop, bar, restaurant, etc. Perhaps a control state could stomp its feet and demand more but Los Angeles County has more residents than the Commonwealth of VA.

I had the NorCal distro sheet for BTAC a few years ago. There were small shops that probably got a bottle or two more they deserved based on sales but relationships matter. The info didn't yield any better hunting results but it was nice to know which shops fed a line of bullshit when asked about BTAC and which shops could be skipped because they didn't get anything.
 
Posts: 4291 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Damn 46n2 with the name drop Cool



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Shit, I'm lucky he bothered answering my messages at all, but it was nice, and happened over a couple of years, all before their popularity skyrocketed. I wish I could claim he was in my cell phone contacts... but he wouldn't know me at all in person, unfortunately.

Like Berto said, about all it accomplished was helping me avoid places that got zero. I think I scored four extra bottles one year. One distributor wouldn't tell me shit, one at least told me which stores were getting some, and another even gave me bottle qtys.

What it taught me was that it's not "fair", not even meant to make sense, nor be consistent, and if you aren't a big player in your area, you'll get no advantages, and maybe no juice. Most of my success came/comes from friendly retailers and their employees/buyers.

But now the whole thing has gotten wayyyyyyyyy out of hand, popularity wise, so I've adjusted my priorities and quit giving a shit as much. Years of paying retail or barely over it have spoiled me. If I had to live in an ABC/lottery state I'd probably switch to weed.

Smile
 
Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Shit, I'm lucky he bothered answering my messages at all, but it was nice, and happened over a couple of years, all before their popularity skyrocketed. I wish I could claim he was in my cell phone contacts... but he wouldn't know me at all in person, unfortunately.

Like Berto said, about all it accomplished was helping me avoid places that got zero. I think I scored four extra bottles one year. One distributor wouldn't tell me shit, one at least told me which stores were getting some, and another even gave me bottle qtys.

What it taught me was that it's not "fair", not even meant to make sense, nor be consistent, and if you aren't a big player in your area, you'll get no advantages, and maybe no juice. Most of my success came/comes from friendly retailers and their employees/buyers.

But now the whole thing has gotten wayyyyyyyyy out of hand, popularity wise, so I've adjusted my priorities and quit giving a shit as much. Years of paying retail or barely over it have spoiled me. If I had to live in an ABC/lottery state I'd probably switch to weed.

Smile


I'm getting over the chase recently. We get a lot of good stuff this way but I am barely drinking it. I think I'll stick to the BTAC which means sheer luck since I don't buy enough.



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Plan to trade some of it, but efforts in the past prove that's easier said than done. Guy I trade with wants to trade price for price, but scarcity and taste preference matter more, IMO.

It would be worth a trip to Richmond to buy 2 bottles. Email me.
 
Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged a Stagg



What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
 
Posts: 8231 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 129 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...

© SIGforum 2024