SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes jigray. Most get a little better. And sometimes there is a nice surprise and extremely better. Could be the food pairing as well.

Picked up a bottle of 4 roses elliots select SB 2016 barrel strength limited edition 56.6% 14 yrs OESK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Question for you guys: anybody ever have a bourbon morph from something they didn't care for to something they really like. I have a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel that changed dramatically over about 6 weeks.

Absolutely. The OESF 4 Roses Single Barrel that GA Gator and I posted about a few pages back... The butterscotch at the front is still there, though slightly tamed. But when I first opened it it had a medicinal flavor (herbal yeast) that I really didn't like. A month later, that has all mellowed into a more floral and dark fruity finish. Nowhere near as harsh and doesn't taste like Flexall 454.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
(the distiller's select, not the Double Oaked, which is, along with Blanton's, to my taste buds the finest readily available bourbon being produced today)

You mean the double oaked is some of the finest bourbon? I am also a huge blantons fan, also hooked on the Elijah craig SB. So I guess I should try some double oaked, the spec's around here alwasy has it in stock and on sale, the blantons and EJ is scarce though.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Yes jigray. Most get a little better. And sometimes there is a nice surprise and extremely better. Could be the food pairing as well.

Picked up a bottle of 4 roses elliots select SB 2016 barrel strength limited edition 56.6% 14 yrs OESK.

Congrats on the 4 Roses LTD. Only 10,244 bottles of that floating around this year. I haven't opened mine yet. Too many open right now, so when you crack the seal, please give us a report.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice. I've asked for one of those bottles, too. I hope it works out. Still waiting to hear back.

And yes, I've had many bottles that got better after x-days of being opened, but it's usually good to better. I don't think I've had one that I first didn't like but then loved later. ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Will do on the 4 roses. Maybe tonight. I finally got back into liking bourbon now that it is cooler. That blantons gold did the trick!

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
What's the consensus on weller antique 107. My store has a barrel select they just got it in they have like 10 cases. I am not a big wheater fan so I passed. I am contemplating picking it up, it was $39.99

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Meh on 107. A barrel select might be good. However im somewhaf in the anti weller clan too. And i dont believe 40 bucks is a good price. Should be 25 i think.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
What's the consensus on weller antique 107. My store has a barrel select they just got it in they have like 10 cases. I am not a big wheater fan so I passed. I am contemplating picking it up, it was $39.99

I have the Special Reserve, OWA 107, and Weller 12. I like the 107 best, but all are pretty good and getting harder to find. Wheaters aren't my thing, but I like a Weller. None in VA in a while, and I'm told none in the immediate future.

That's about $15 more than retail, but I've had really good luck with hand picked barrels. I find they are often much better values than the much more expensive limited releases. If you like wheaters at all, I'd suggest you buy one and try it. If it's good, $40 may be a bargain relatively speaking, and you can stock up. Supposed to be the same juice as Pappy, not as old certainly, but if it's hand picked, who knows? A good price for Weller 12 these days seems to be about $50.00.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Gents: is blood oath worth the 89$ tag? Thoughts on IW Harper? Thanks!

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

blood oath is orphan barrel, its a crap shoot. ive had a few of thiers, wasnt impressed but some like it. most likely not worth 89$

Which IW harper? the 15 yr us decent at around 75$ the 6 year or whatever it was i heard is crap.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Old Weller Antique (OWA, 107 proof) is a solid "wheater" bourbon that shares the same mashbill as the Pappy Van Winkle (PVW) line. But the resemblence ends there. Different age(ing), different barrel locations in the rickhouse, different bottling selection process for barrels, different everything (but the juice, kinda'). Our price OTD up here is $21.99/750ml and is semi-easily available. A nice, easy, everyday pour that is very popular and cases sell out quickly! Just bought another for the bunker last night! Wink

It's a solid step up from the Weller Special Reserve (WSR, 90 proof, $19.99) and a decent substitute for the currently unobtainable W. L. Weller 12 ($28.99). Other states have seen recent deliveries of W12 in reasonable quantities and my Buffalo Trace sources say there's more in the pipeline for us New Englanders. Razz

However, no way OWA is in the same class as the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) William Larue Weller (WLW) or the PVW line. Now those bottles are pure Unobtainium for most (if not all) of us common folk! Eek

JMHO, as always. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Weller 107 is essentially the same as Pappy 15, just 4-7yo vs 15. Obviously, the WLW and VW are the pick of the litter in the ways described above, same exact juice/white dog, but different environmental factors and selection. I definitely prefer Weller 107 to regular Makers Mark, for instance, but will take the Barrel Strength Makers over the Weller 107.

I like it, but I like Wheaters. And beyond WLWeller Barrel Proof, it's the only Weller I buy if I have a choice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on who did the selecting. If the guy at your shop has a good palate and it aligns with what you like it could b something great. One of my locals picked an OWA that was over 9yrs old and essentially an Old Rip minus a few months. Some of us prefer it to Old Rip. I'd buy a bottle or figure out a way to get a taste.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blood Oath is overpriced crap created solely to take advantage of the current market and folks who don't know any better.

The 15 yr Harper comes in a pretty bottle and isn't bad. A touch overpriced and too watered down but something I'd purchase again. The younger Harper should be avoided.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
What shop Gator? Green's again or somewhere out in the burbs?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

blood oath is orphan barrel, its a crap shoot. ive had a few of thiers, wasnt impressed but some like it. most likely not worth 89$

Which IW harper? the 15 yr us decent at around 75$ the 6 year or whatever it was i heard is crap.

Actually, I think Blood Oath is Luxco, Orphan Barrels are produced by Diagio. Same general idea, so that may be your thinking.

I am surprised to see support for the 15 YO Harper. I did not care for it, and felt it was way overpriced. Even if it's not my palate, it stuck me as very one dimensional - lots of dry oak. Before spending $75.00 on a bottle, I'd try to find a dram somewhere to sample.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
quote:

Actually, I think Blood Oath is Luxco, Orphan Barrels are produced by Diagio. Same general idea, so that may be your thinking.

I am surprised to see support for the 15 YO Harper. I did not care for it, and felt it was way overpriced. Even if it's not my palate, it stuck me as very one dimensional - lots of dry oak. Before spending $75.00 on a bottle, I'd try to find a dram somewhere to sample.

Thanks for the clarification on Blood oath.

I would agree on overpriced and one dimensional. I find it quite thin, but much better than most overpriced brand.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, I'll spend my money on something better!

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
What shop Gator? Green's again or somewhere out in the burbs?

Smoke Rise Bottle shop 78 & Hugh Howell exit.

They consistently have the best bourbon selection I have found.

They also have baby Saz a bit overpriced at $32.99

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post