SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ahsoka on Dinsey+ (Yet another Star Wars)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ahsoka on Dinsey+ (Yet another Star Wars) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Geez, what dreck this show is. It’s so slow with all of the long dramatic pauses between every…single…word because it’s all…so…important. You could have cut this week’s episode run time to under 20 minutes, and still tell the exact same (uninteresting) story. Only Disney could make Thrawn so uninteresting. Aside from the pudgy body, his voice is so gentile that he’s not very credible as a villain.

They’ve ruined Ahsoka, Sabine, and now Thrawn, from how their characters were introduced in Clone Wars and Rebels. It isn’t a question of wokeness, it’s just poor writing and bad storytelling.

I agree. I started rewatching Rebels and got sucked into rewatching more than I had planned to because it’s fairly good. Rebels tells three times the story in half the time as Ahsoka does. Ahsoka’s writing reminds me of a middle schooler who stretches 3 sentences into 5 paragraph essay.

Ahsoka is showing some real growth though, I think she crossed her right arm over her left this time and *spoiler alert* she smiled today. Definitely, getting away from all things Skywalker, Anakin is only in half of the episodes.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Ep 3, bad guy fighters are shooting at hero ship. They hit it several times, but of course, only inflict minor damage. SmugGirl in tail turrets hits bad guy ship a single time, and it asplodes immediately. Finally, capital ship opens fire with big guns, which finally cripples hero ship.

From a Hollywood perspective, this has always been a thing. Random bad guy mook gets shot, he gets blown across the room and lies unmoving. Hero gets shot, they keep fighting with just a flesh wound, unless it serves the plot for them to be seriously injured or killed.

From a Star Wars perspective, this also tracks. In the SW universe, single-man fighters are typically unshielded, relying on speed and skill to prevail, while larger vessels have shields. (The Alliance is the exception to this, with them purposely fielding shielded fighters in order to better preserve their limited spacecraft and skilled pilots.) But while a small-to-medium sized craft's shields might be effective against shots from small fighters for a while, they won't last long against a capital ship's much more powerful armament.

quote:
So far, Grand Admiral Thrawn looks to be pretty cool, though I can't get past the notion that he is just an emotional blue Data from Star Trek)

He's one of the greatest strategic/tactical mind in the universe, focused primarily on facts and data. The Chiss race in general is known for being highly intelligent, calm, and logical, kinda like blue Vulcans.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aside from the pudgy body, his voice is so gentile that he’s not very credible as a villain

This deserves some comment. I agree with you on his physical presence. My gist from the books and Rebels was that Thrawn was imposing due to his racial makeups, but also his physical height and the way he held himself.

What I liked about the Rebels version was that his gentle voice gave him menace, and his calculating nature gave that menace even more potential.

Again, for me, back to how things translate from book/cartoon to live-action, the fact that they used the same voice actor from the cartoon- the man who was terrifying in his intent and neigh unstoppable in his strategic vision- for the physical live-action character made him look silly. He does not strike a commanding presence and he should, maybe even moreso than Baylen Skoll.

Ultimately, in this episode, when his forces had to pull back because it was a stupid idea to do what he did because HE SAW Baylen wasn't at the scene, he was like, "Derpy derp. This is ackshooally a win because losing is winning since we're still loading the U-haul. Derpy snort derp." This delivery was made worse by the fact that it was delivered by the man with the physical presence of George Costanza.

I think I will probably enjoy this series as a whole, but only because it's an extension of the Clone Wars / Rebels properties.

I think the series will be an epic fail though, mostly because the characters DO NOT translate well to live action. Like Zeb's cameo in Mandalorian Season 3, it seems off in so many ways primarily because you can't replicate the animated characters in real life to the extent that you would feel like you're a part of the story.

Thrawn was the most important one too, IMO. Ahsoka was fine, and her episode in Mandalorian Season Two is EXCELLENT. Ezra and Sabine are good enough. Ezra even nailed some of the character quips and movements. The crap written around him was dumb though, and felt like a cartoon episode.

Shit, even the pod/crab aliens felt like they would have worked better in a cartoon vs. a live-action show.

Search your feelings. You know I'm right.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Aside from the pudgy body, his voice is so gentile that he’s not very credible as a villain

Search your feelings. You know I'm right.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I wish I knew how to imbed Mal's "speachless" GIF here.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I wish I knew how to imbed Mal's "speachless" GIF here.

At least you're not swearing by Grabthar's Hammer. I'd be looking over my shoulder.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Once a rebel, always a rebel'. Wow!!, such original dialogue.

Posts: 44 | Registered: April 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how Thrawn should look and speak.

https://youtu.be/YEMh8ZZbZQM

Live action Thrawn isn’t cutting it as far as being menacing goes, regardless of whether it’s the same actor.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

This deserves some comment. I agree with you on his physical presence. My gist from the books and Rebels was that Thrawn was imposing due to his racial makeups, but also his physical height and the way he held himself.

What I liked about the Rebels version was that his gentle voice gave him menace, and his calculating nature gave that menace even more potential.

Darth Vader is an interesting comparison. In the first movie (Ep 4), he yelled a lot (YOU ARE PART OF THE REBEL ALLIANCE AND A SPY TAKE HER AWAY!!!!).

In Empire Strikes Back, I don't think he ever raises his voice. His calm demeanor made him even MORE terrifying than in the previous movie. "Apology Accepted, Capt Needa" after choking him out. Or, when Lando complained at Cloud City, "Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?" and "I have altered the deal - pray I don't alter it further." The man OOZED menace and terror. Of course, he had a bad-ass suit and was over 6' tall.

I've never seen Rebels, but the live actor in this show has the looming presence of an exceptionally boring tax accountant. . . I've heard about Thrawn, but this is the first I've ever seen him in any media. His reputation made me think he would be an amazing character. Unfortunately, this is one more thing the show falls flat on.

As mentioned above, Baylon has an amazing screen presence. He carries himself with power, and his portrayal makes him my favorite character in the entire show. I really like him and Blond Wednesday Addams - I really hope both survive the show. The 'heroes' don't really do anything for me. I hope purple hair girl dies, I'm entirely underwhelmed with Ezra in the one episode I've seen him in, and Ahsoka is fairly good. General Tight Pants (whatever her name is - girl with the tentacles and goggles) reminds me of a young Linda Carter, so I'll give her a pass.

Oh, they HAD TO bring in c3po last episode. O M G I HATE THIS GUY SO MUCH!!!!!! They even had this swelling orchestral music score to introduce him, as if every single person watching would immediately swoon with gushes of geekly delight. I guess it works for some, as I've read on facebook how some fans liked seeing him again. I've stated in other Star Wars threads how much I LOATHE c3po (this has NOTHING against the actor, Anthony Daniels, by the way - I hate the character; not the actor). It's as though they think that in every single show/movie, all they have to do is trot out an original character (Luke, Leia, etc) and the fans will just go nuts over it. Maybe they do. I don't.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait to get to a computer to reply to your post, HD. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Dropping in C-3PO is a typical Disney fan service deus ex machina. Just something to get the fanboys hard and talking about the show on social media.

What’s the deal with Ezra? Does he know that Thrawn is on the same planet? Not care? He hangs with the turtle people and Thrawn sits up in his old ship and they agree to ignore each other? He seems very passive for a while. The bad guy red riders attack his turtle wagon convoy, and he doesn’t seem to do very much to defend his turtle buds, other than circle the wagons like in the old westerns. Shin shows up, lightsaber in hand, and Ezra doesn’t take an offered lightsaber to fight her. Don’t need it, I’ve got the force! What Jedi ever said that?

Another Rebels character ruined by Fioni. While Ezra was very annoying and cocky early in Rebels, he matured later on. Now, he’s like some old hippie, just hanging out.

P.S. I guess the Empire fighters have inherited the Stormtrooper’s bad aim when the plot requires it. They’re initially a threat, enough to chase Ahsoka’s shuttle into the debris field, but when the shuttle heads down to the planet, they can’t hit a thing.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post