SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Has any movie / TV show cost you sleep ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has any movie / TV show cost you sleep ? Login/Join 
posted
Or given you a nightmare ?

Mine was Jaws,
And the Telly Savalas Twilight Zone about Talking Tina.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Mine was American Werewolf in London, which a friends father took us all to see for his birthday because the movie we were supposed to see was sold out. I was 10 years old, and that movie freaked me out. I also remember being disturbed by the TV mini series WWIII about the same time frame.

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, about 11yo, my mother let me go see a Vincent Price double feature: The Oblong Box and Scream and Scream Agsin.

In the second feature, a man falls ill while out jogging (IIRC), wakes up in a hospital, finds his legs have been amputated… later, he awakens again and his arms are gone.

I did not sleep one minute that night. My mother never let me see a horror movie again.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I sounds crazy, but I couldn't be in the same room with my wife when she was watching "Yellowstone", or with my daughter watching "Last of Us".

Both shows triggered something in me that gave me pronounced nightmares and loss of sleep.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Alien when it was released in 1979. Saw it in a packed theater and the audience (and I) were freaked out during the various scenes, for me, more horrifying than John Carpenter's Halloween. Couldn't sleep afterwards.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A Thief in the Night

A movie shown at church when I was about 5-6 years old about the Rapture. Scared the holy shit out of me for years. Borderline child abuse

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
None that come to mind. I have a high tolerance for scary movies. I've seen a lot of them, but I can count on one hand the number of films that caused me any sort of unease, most notably The Exorcist when I saw it the first time in my late teens.

But even then, it's nothing that lingered, or caused any lasting fear effects like nightmares.

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I sounds crazy, but I couldn't be in the same room with my wife when she was watching "Yellowstone", or with my daughter watching "Last of Us".

Both shows triggered something in me that gave me pronounced nightmares and loss of sleep.

Last Of Us I can understand. It's a postapocalyptic zombie(ish) show with some frightening scenes and scenarios.

What was it about Yellowstone that triggered you? I wouldn't say it is even all that exciting, for the most part... let alone "scary". More of just a character drama.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a young child for some reason my Dad thought me watching the black and white classic silent film Nosferatu would be fine. It was not.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Sybil.

Saw it when I was a kid. Extremely disturbing. Not a movie for kids to see.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Salems Lot 1979 Window Scene

+1000 - I was in about the 6th grade and saw this mini series - I didn't sleep for a week! Eek

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Had a school buddy who couldn't watch the Wizard of Oz because the witch freaked him out when he was little.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
When I was 4 or 5 (1958/59) I saw the original King Kong.
I had several dreams after that of a giant ape chasing me and me hiding from him in the basement.

Nothing has affected me since then.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, the Wizard of OZ scared the crap out of me. It was the flying monkeys, mainly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Oh yep, good one. Them flying monkeys were creepy to the max to a little kid. Not even sure why.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I said movies and tv , but I read Animal Farm when I was 15 and that had me frazzled for about two months.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, the FBI show would keep me up, at 10 or so, the bad guys behind every door

now, not so much

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
What was it about Yellowstone that triggered you? I wouldn't say it is even all that exciting, for the most part... let alone "scary". More of just a character drama.

Don't want to answer for someone else, but I've heard this comment before. Something about excessive violence, which is odd given the graphic nature of many shows today.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Don't want to answer for someone else, but I've heard this comment before. Something about excessive violence, which is odd given the graphic nature of many shows today.

For me it was some of the "realness" of the violence. Particularly involving the Son and his Native American wife (I don't know their names). Even not paying attention to it directly, something about their voices and tones of urgency that just hit.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80s, my brother-in-law and I watched The Evil Dead. I thought it was an awful movie and laid in bed that night wondering what kind of sick person could think up that kind of trash.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post