SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Has any movie / TV show cost you sleep ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has any movie / TV show cost you sleep ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I can't say they induced nightmares or left me permanently scarred but when I was about 11 or 12 I saw a double header based on Edgar Allen Poe stories that creeped me out for a while

Premature Burial
The Conquerer Worm (Vincent Price)

I was older when I saw it but also The Exorcist.

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall it costing me sleep, but I found Blue Velvet to be pretty disturbing.

Posts: 713 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I was 4 years old (1957) my sister took me to a Dracula movie. I couldn't go down to the basement for years at night. Kept me awake many nights. To this day I don't watch horror movies.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4026 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Or given you a nightmare ?

Mine was Jaws,
And the Telly Savalas Twilight Zone about Talking Tina.

I don't think I've told this story here, but I may have.

Went to see Jaws at the base theater when it got to Japan. The seating was the sort where the bottom of the seat is spring loaded and flips up when you stand.

When the shark first struck, I jumped so bad the seat flipped up and I landed on my ass on the floor. My buddy missed the next several minutes of the movie because he was laughing so hard.

Dick... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

Salem's Lot window scene
Not the movie, but the book. It was the mid 1970s, I had never heard of Steven King, but bought the book, which my wife and I read.

My wife was working an evening shift at her job, getting home around 2:00am. I was awakened by something tapping and scratching at the bedroom window. I looked out, and there was my wife, outside the window, with vampire teeth that she had bought at a novelty shop. Scared the shit out of me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31125 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My shit for brains older sister knew I was freaked out about the talking Tina doll on twilight zone.

Her and her best friend just about killed me.

Our back door from the kitchen to the back porch to inside had a 9" x 9" window.

We were eating pizza at midnight when Ceal went somewhere.

There was a bump on the back porch, I looked at the window and there was my sister's Tina doll head staring at me.

Didn't sleep for two nights.

( Bastards)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55012 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Mine was American Werewolf in London,

That one got me as well. I was near the same age and wasn't supposed to be watching it.

Posts: 7456 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Shining

Saw it in the theater when I was 12, left during a ghost skeleton scene, and haven’t finished it yet.

Posts: 11352 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? No exorcist ?

Posts: 55012 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
A Thief in the Night

A movie shown at church when I was about 5-6 years old about the Rapture. Scared the holy shit out of me for years. Borderline child abuse

Your parents did that to you as well?

I thought it was just my crazy super conservative Christian parents that thought it was appropriate taking an eight or nine-year-old kid to a movie where Christians are being guillotined, and the Mark of The Beast is being handed out. I guess they thought they would scare me straight or something? JEEZ

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was maybe 4-5, I’d stand behind the couch when the “Hulk” went through his change - lol - freaked me out.

As an adult, “Saving Private Ryan” with the knife scene as the American soldier begged for his life and the German soldier said “Shhh” and slipped it in - that was brutal - won’t watch it again.

MDS

Posts: 393 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
As a child of around 7-8 yrs old, I saw Riki Tiki Tavi. It is a movie about a boy in colonial India who rescues a mongoose. His plantation is invaded by two cobras who want to lay eggs, so they need to kill all the pesky humans. Mongooses, of course, are the natural enemies of cobras.

It's a good story, but the animation and CREEPY music (it was made in 1975) freaked the heck out of me. I was terrified these huge cobras (they, of course, towered over the mongoose) and afraid they would attack me. To this day, that is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

A close #2 is the 1980s Fright Night. When Charlies girlfriend turns around and she has the 'vampire face' with the weird eyes and HUGE mouth, it startled me in a way no other movie scene has before or since.

Neither has bothered me since the 1980s, though (but I won't re-watch either of those films).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21896 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Showgirls

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34280 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
My Dad & I would watch scary movies every Friday night when I was a kid. This is the one that made an impression on me, mostly because they could gnaw through walls!

Posts: 4825 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Only time I've lost sleep over a TV show is when I end up bingeing something and the last episode is over at 3:00AM.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3541 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Only time I've lost sleep over a TV show is when I end up bingeing something and the last episode is over at 3:00AM.

This happened to me back in the VCR tape days.

I'd heard Lonesome Dove was a great "movie" so I got a copy. I started watching it around 9pm, figuring it would be over by midnight at the latest.

Around 1am, I realized it was a mini-series, not a movie, but I was so into it I kept watching and finished close to 4am. I was a zombie the next day at work. Big Grin

Posts: 6521 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What? No exorcist ?
Mine was The Omen, which caused me many sleepless nights when I was less than ten years old.

The Exorcist had a more lasting effect on me well into adulthood. When a bound up Regan met Karras for the first time, she demanded he "kindly undo thses straps!!!" Now, whenever someone requested I "Please kindly...", I hear it in that gravelly voice and take it as a veiled threat. Red Face

Posts: 2687 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Went into the family room last night, the wife was screaming at some show on TV:

She said: "Stop! Don't Go in there, Don't Do it! Stop! It's a big mistake!

I asked her what horror flick she was watching and she said "our wedding video....."

Posts: 23954 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
When I was a kid, the Wizard of OZ scared the crap out of me. It was the flying monkeys, mainly.

Yep, those SOB’s cost me more than one nights sleep. If I’m honest they still sleeve me out a bit.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5204 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TV show The Invaders ?

Anyone ?