SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    True Detective s.4: Night Country
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Detective s.4: Night Country Login/Join 
posted
This does not look promising...

s1 was all-time epic, s2 was a flop and s3 was closer to the first season than the second but, had trying moments.

Posts: 14936 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I already got the word on Twitter I SAID TWITTER.

White men are bad. Women should be in charge of everything.

I watched the three previous seasons of the series.

Season one was superb, one of the best detective mysteries on TV ever; superb writing, and excellent performances all around, especially Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. I watched it again recently and it's held up.

Season two, I could take or leave. I barely remember what it was about. I didn't watch the last episode of the season because I knew where they were going with it and I didn't like it.

Season three was better. The premise is very good, and the ending of the season was melancholy but worth the ride.

Season four- uh uh. I won't watch it. They can shove it up their ass.

Posts: 108616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most unfortunate.

Is Pizzolatto still involved?

Posts: 14936 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Yeah this season is complete crap.

It took me three tries to get through the first show just to make sure it wasn't me and its not.

Its really sad after three great seasons for it to go to crap.

Posts: 18116 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen the previews on Max. Am I incorrect that one of the deputies, officers, whatever, is an African American lady with a big ass nose ring?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12795 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’ve seen the previews on Max. Am I incorrect that one of the deputies, officers, whatever, is an African American lady with a big ass nose ring?

She looks like she got caught eating out of daddy's tackle box. She's the ONLY redeeming character.

How ironic is Jody Foster with a pedophile lesbian adopted daughter that gets caught making child pr0n with an underage girl.

This is trying to be X Files meets The Killing meets Mare of Eastown.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34280 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

She looks like she got caught eating out of daddy's tackle box. She's the ONLY redeeming character.

How ironic is Jody Foster with a pedophile lesbian adopted daughter that gets caught making child pr0n with an underage girl.

This is trying to be X Files meets The Killing meets Mare of Eastown.

I think the deputy is full or part Iñupiat. She seemed knowledgeable of their customs at least.

If the deputy starts having strange dreams or one of them vision quests, we can throw in Twin Peaks into that mixed brew.

I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if it pans out.

Posts: 2687 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
HBO’s New Season of ‘True Detective’ is a Shallow, Woke Slap in the Face to the Series’ Fans and Legacy
quote:
Nic Pizzolatto, who wrote and produced the first three seasons, was not involved in any of the writing on this mess, which could explain why it lost identity just minutes into a single episode.

Pizzolatto created the iconic characters Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Marty Hart (Woody Harrelson) in season one — which premiered 10 years ago this week and has proved to be timeless.

The second and third seasons of “True Detective” are not as beloved by fans of the first season, but a case could be made that the third season was riveting, must-see TV.

Posts: 108616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I had this set to record. The night it was scheduled, my tv service inexplicably went down and it failed to record.
Two plus hours of black screen.
Sounds like I didn’t miss much.

Posts: 4145 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
I think the deputy is full or part Iñupiat. She seemed knowledgeable of their customs at least.

Reading through a handful of reviews, and finding more about the actors, Reis is part West African (Cape Verde) and part mixed-Native American (branch of the Wampanoag) grew up Rhode Island but, attended native events like pow-wow's. Was a professional boxer holding a few titles before getting into acting, part of the alphabet-people.

The studs in her cheeks are an indicator into how unserious this season is. Even the Village Public Safety Officers (natives tasked with assisting LEO & first responders) in Alaska aren't going to present themselves with facial adornments like she's got going on.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I watched the first three episodes of season 1 last night.

So far Woody makes you despise him and you feel for Matthew. Woody seems like the high school bully that got it all and Matthew was a good man that the world turned against him.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34280 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give Season 4 a chance, albeit with low expectations. Parabellum's take on the first 3 seasons was spot-on.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I was skeptical when I first saw it got released. Looked up some reviews and sure enough they all basically said "so great there are woman leading a male dominated show". All I needed to know, pass.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3618 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I had high hopes for it when I tuned in last week. Total shitshow-wokeass crap. They (HBO) took a winning idea and totaled it after three exceptional seasons. I've had the pleasure of meeting cops from Alaska and learning a bit about the policing and indigenous cultures up there. At a minimum, this writing is an insult to what undoubtedly those involved consider the utmost flyoverable of "flyover" country. I'm done with it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10242 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I am surprised at how bad Jodie Foster is in this show. And John Hawkes who is typically very good as a character actor, is massively underutilized.

That said, I thought the end of Ep 2 brought the show back to Earth a bit and set up what could be a solid story, including a couple of call backs to Season 1.

I'll give it another week. Personally, despite the fact that the two lead actors/police are women, the show has not had a bunch of woke rhetoric.

Also, Taylor Sheridan could have written a great version of this show, but he kinda already did with Wind River.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10534 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I had high hopes for it when I tuned in last week. Total shitshow-wokeass crap. They (HBO) took a winning idea and totaled it after three exceptional seasons. I've had the pleasure of meeting cops from Alaska and learning a bit about the policing and indigenous cultures up there. At a minimum, this writing is an insult to what undoubtedly those involved consider the utmost flyoverable of "flyover" country. I'm done with it.

It’s sadly the same thing they did with Justified.

It was so bad that I haven’t watched the last four episodes. And I have seen the first six seasons multiple times.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I am surprised at how bad Jodie Foster is in this show.

She’s a talentless twit so that explains it Wink. I know some folks here may like her acting, but I think she’s been horrible in everything she’s done.

Posts: 2845 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would have to disagree. Silence of the Lambs would be an example.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foster can be good but I cant buy her as a uniformed cop and certainly not as a Police Chief.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16274 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Foster can be good but I cant buy her as a uniformed cop and certainly not as a Police Chief.

She's crafted all her characters as academic-cerebral types, attempting be a police chief in this role, much less a cop in Alaska is pretty far-fetched and requires suspending all belief.