SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My wife and I finally saw it today. From the postings here I was expecting a disaster. But both of us actually liked it. Found it reasonably entertaining, but I'm not looking at it as a Star Wars junkie. I don't look for continuity issues. I don't really break down and analyze the snot out of someone else's make believe. It either works for me or it doesn't; this one works well enough.

And I like it better than the Abrams' homage to Episode IV, despite some slow spots and some apparent Disney-inspired weirdness.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Why can’t they just do Zahn’s Thrawn trilogy? Mrs. BB61 hated all the Disney stuffed animal marketing ploys in the movie. I agreed. They were in the movie solely to get the kids to demand them for Christmas.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Why can’t they just do Zahn’s Thrawn trilogy? Mrs. BB61 hated all the Disney stuffed animal marketing ploys in the movie. I agreed. They were in the movie solely to get the kids to demand them for Christmas.

There is so much good EU material they could have used

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
So I just saw the movie, and want my money back. That said, I don't think I saw this point made so speak up if I missed it.

When Leia is blown out into space she was on the bridge of the cruiser, but when Po mutinied he was also on the bridge, was there a second one on the ship?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
So I just saw the movie, and want my money back. That said, I don't think I saw this point made so speak up if I missed it.

When Leia is blown out into space she was on the bridge of the cruiser, but when Po mutinied he was also on the bridge, was there a second one on the ship?

Leia was on the main bridge. Admiral Prom Dress piloted the ship in the kamikaze attack from the secondary bridge.

So, yes, there were 2 bridges (this makes sense, as some modern warships have backup controls in case of battle damage).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Leia was on the main bridge. Admiral Prom Dress piloted the ship in the kamikaze attack from the secondary bridge.

So, yes, there were 2 bridges (this makes sense, as some modern warships have backup controls in case of battle damage).

In many Sci/fi series, a ship has a main bridge and a battle bridge. Star Trek for example has both.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admiral Prom Dress. Ha.

Posts: 7496 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
The wife and I saw this at a matinee yesterday.

5 minutes in I am shaking my head, thinking to myself, "This is a movie made by a committee of Social Justice Warriors from ABC/Disney."

It was as if the writer(s) or the suits said: "Ok, let's check the boxes. Young female pilot, fat old guy pilot, dark-skinned pilot, another female pilot... and then, LIZARD pilot just show we aren't species-ists either!" If they could have signalled one the pilots was gay somehow they would have done that, too. I was expecting to see "Will" from Will and Grace in one of the cockpits.

Then it got worse from there... much worse. Bad jokes, stupid plot lines, plot lines that went nowhere, improbable chance meetings, poor or no character development. I said to the wife "It's as if they had 12 committees and gave each one 12 minutes of the film."

I do not care what happens next. I really don't.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings...how is it Leia could survive in outer space and float back to the ship??

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
They also had to be able to put some force field around the damaged bridge, or when they opened the non airlock door to the bridge to let Leila back in, they also would have all been spaced, and we would have Leia Marry Poppins part deux

Again, this also, like the battle bridge concept, shows up in sci-fi so I didn’t have as much an issue with it

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
If they could have signalled one the pilots was gay somehow they would have done that, too.

There's some speculation floating around that Poe is gay.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
If they could have signalled one the pilots was gay somehow they would have done that, too.

There's some speculation floating around that Poe is gay.

don't care,

but do think the actor that plays him is not that good an actor,

of course, with a crappy script, guessing that is to be expected

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Well, I just saw it and I liked it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Much meh but Daisy Ridley is certainly cute.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phantom229,

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This write-up has a lot I agree with about TLJ, take a look if you feel like it.

He nailed EXACTLY why I walked out of Force Awakens feeling so saddened:

quote:

When The Force Awakens came out, a movie I loved, I bemoaned this fact. My childhood heroes had won their war against the Empire in the original trilogy, but TFA showed that they didn’t bring peace to the galaxy. The New Republic Leia fought so hard to establish was broken even before it was destroyed. Luke’s attempt to bring back the Jedi ended in such tragedy that he had been living in self-imposed exile for years. Han Solo not only failed to keep his son from the Dark Side, he was murdered because of it.

I hated learning that their hard-won accomplishments in the original trilogy were for naught, that after the end credits of Return of the Jedi their futures would be filled with disappointment and pain. But when The Force Awakens ended, despite Han Solo’s death, there was still hope. The Resistance survived. The battle against the First Order had just begun. Luke Skywalker had been found.

Good point here:
quote:

The Last Jedi is a direct, not-even-slightly subtle message to hardcore, original trilogy-obsessed fans like myself that Star Wars is more than those three movies (or the three prequels that served as one long, terrible prologue to them). It completely resets the battle between good and evil, putting good in more dire straits than we’ve ever seen in these films. It introduces several brand new Force powers. It expands the universe in ways no one expected (or in ways purists like me wanted). And it removes the old heroes to fully make way for the new.

It proclaims boldly it’s time for a truly new Star Wars saga, for a new generation of kids to fall in love with, just like I did. That Star Wars can be more, should be more, than the original trilogy and its prologues and epilogues. That the franchise belongs to more than just those born in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. That it’s time for me, like Rey, to let go of the past. It has been that time for awhile now.

And here:

quote:

The Last Jedi was made with other fans in mind—especially the new ones. This isn’t only a good thing, it’s the right thing. If you grew up with the prequels, or your first Star Wars experience was The Force Awakens or TLJ, you almost certainly wouldn’t have latched onto the original trilogy heroes in the way that my generation did. How could you? Why would you? If you were born in 2007, why would you be any more sad about Luke dying than we were when Obi-Wan sacrificed himself in A New Hope? Rey, Finn, and Poe are the heroes now. And whenever Episode X rolls around, maybe in 2021 or so, another new generation of heroes will emerge, for a new generation of kids to be inspired by.

The Last Jedi Killed My Childhood, and That's Exactly Why It's Great

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
Mixed feelings...how is it Leia could survive in outer space and float back to the ship??

Just saw it yesterday, and yes mixed feelings as well, and this also bugged the crap out of me.

Posts: 478 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People seem to focus on how she can survive being in the vacuum of space--something that has been theorized is possible--yet ignore the concussive forces of the munitions detonating on impact with the bridge.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This write-up has a lot I agree with about TLJ, take a look if you feel like it.

Understand all that but you still must have an excellent script, complete with great dialogue, story, acting and directing. This film lacked that. So why I understand the reset, that this film was for millennial and younger. It just wasn’t a good movie at all.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly.

In my previous post, I stated this movie reminded me of any Walking Dead episode from recent years. My college aged son called the dialog "cringy".

Good real estate is "location, location, location".

Good film is "script, script, script".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post