SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Last Jedi --- SPOILER thread for discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Now that I’ve had more time to think about things, weaponizing hyperspace was pretty much the worst thing they could have done. Any Star Destroyer, Death Star, Dreadnaught, etc. can be defeated with the smallest hyper space able ship piloted by a droid. Defenseless Alderan would still exist if they had just hyperspaced a transport ship through the original Death Star.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was anybody annoyed at the beginning where the Verizon joke was being played? "Can you hear me?" "Can you hear me?"

Nice marketing there guys.

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
Saw it last night. Meh. I am not going to reiterate the flaws of the film, just saying I agree with most of them. Perhaps the flaws previously mentioned is why I was having a hard time sitting through the entire film.

What I don't understand is the disparity of the critic reviews vs. typical viewers. I have seen more movies this past week than I have all year (two). The Greatest Showman was enjoyable start to finish, a great musical in my opinion, and a great movie. Yet, the critics hated it as it glossed over or omitted "the darker" parts of Barnum's life - The masses liked it. As I said in my review here, it is a musical, not a biography.

As someone here said, it is about the writing. Suspending belief is about making it even the slightest bit possible to the point where you want to believe it is. With the continuity errors and poor scripting, I cannot believe the critics (who are so artfully above us plebes) could get past the pablum that TLJ served.

Because movie critics are fucking idiots. They are just the internet trolls that happened to exist before the internet. They convinced themselves that this would be a huge hit and they didnt want to be on the wrong side of a $1 billion dollar movie. Their opinions have no more weight or validity than anyone, and they are absolutely for sale and influenced by outside pressure. I hate movie critics, if it's not 3 hours long, boring, and British it's no good, and the surest sign for me to stay away is when all the critics fawn over some movie.

Of course they can't enjoy the PT Barnum movie, it's not pretentious and PC so it's bad.

Movie critics are like wine snobs, totally full of shit and in love with their own bullshit

When it comes to swaying the critic reviews, Disney seems to be much more heavy-handed than other entities. I'm not one to pile onto the anti-Disney diabtribe, but there will be backlash eventually.

This is an eye-opening read:
The Disney Media Ban Assault on The LA Times and Why it Should be Concerning

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I feel just like you Prefontaine. Disney has abused their relationship with the fans of the original films. We expected to be entertained with a well thought out story and paid well to see it at the theater. We took our kids or grandkids to watch in hopes that they would get to experience the awesomeness that was, instead, we got preached at and chided for being white and male. Honestly, I’m not sure Disney thought about who actually pays to watch their movies. While I am sure there will be some that will watch these movies regardless, I just can’t. Hopefully enough of us make the decision and Disney is smart end to understand why.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I feel just like you Prefontaine. Disney has abused their relationship with the fans of the original films. We expected to be entertained with a well thought out story and paid well to see it at the theater. We took our kids or grandkids to watch in hopes that they would get to experience the awesomeness that was, instead, we got preached at and chided for being white and male. Honestly, I’m not sure Disney thought about who actually pays to watch their movies. While I am sure there will be some that will watch these movies regardless, I just can’t. Hopefully enough of us make the decision and Disney is smart end to understand why.

The hard thing about getting older, or really just living in this time....everything is JUST about $ now. Used to, they wanted to tell a great story, and make the money. Not anymore. My artistic critique is the same as it has ever been. I was blown away by “Good Time” this year, and thought Blade Runner 2049 was stellar. But most of the big budget stuff is just shit now. Bad writing, bad directing, poor casting, name it. We got some good sci-fi in recent years so I guess I shouldn’t complain too much. Interstellar and Gravity were both quite exceptional. Gravity in 3D at the theater was mind blowing. Star Wars, Transformers, SuperHo Marvel/DC films, I’m hitting ixnay. I’m going to see Black Panther with an African-American friend as it will be the first black lead since Wesley Snipes in Blade. And that was almost a decade and a half ago. Ryan Coogler directed Creed, which I thought was good, and Stallone got an Oscar nomination for it. And he’s directing Panther. But that will be the last Walt Disney film I see in the theater. XD 3D is nearly $20 a ticket here now, and I’m just tired of spending that and walking out completely disappointed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeval
posted Hide Post
I usually don't care for this guy but I thought his review was spot on.
ET Canada Review

P226 9mm

Posts: 816 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How I rate the starwars movies. Keep in mind i have read most of the old lucasfilm canon books, that are no longer Disney Canon. I, like most fans understand the rich and diverse stories that could be told via film. This latest movie screams of a script by committee of 3 year olds.
>
>
Disney's cash cow has been providing sour milk. I would not have gone to see this if it were not for chaperoning a date for my daughter. I am seriously wanting a refund. I read the reviews, spoilers and all. Believing that inoculation would protect me from the "Disney Suck" as it would from a virulent virus like Small Pox.
>
>
I was wrong, so very wrong. Ben and Rey's characters were strong portrayals surrounded by a cast of buffoons from a small town improv troupe. The two did their best to be rid of the horrible dialogue they were saddled with.
>
>
This does provide me a glimmer of hope, Adam Driver is turning out to be a fantastic actor. Daisy Ridley, does a fine job as well.
>
>
Due to time constraints, my ratings.

V 98%
IV 90%
VI 80%

I 80%
II 75 %
III 65%

VII 70%
VIII 60%

RO 75%

The clone wars animated movie and tv show: 85%

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was really bad. I love SW. This was a travesty.

Too many problems to recount. That Canadian hit most of the high points.

Laura Dean in a prom dress is the Admiral of the Fleet. Fuck us all. (If she had briefed anyone on the plan countless lives wouldn’t have been lost).

Horrible. Seriously don’t waste your time or money.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedbladeBig Grinisney has abused their relationship with the fans of the original films. ...

So, since Disney acquired the SW franchise, they've produced one film (TFA) that was OK, introduced new characters but basically a re-set for the franchise. One film (R1) that was widely acknowledged as being in the top-3 in the franchise and now this film (TLJ) which is heavily split and receiving some severe negative feedback. Does one film ruin the entire bunch?
If anything, I'd request Disney to remove Rian Johnson and anybody else that bought into his 'moving on' ideas, and attach Gareth Edwards and the rest of the R1 team to make the ninth movie.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedbladeBig Grinisney has abused their relationship with the fans of the original films. ...

So, since Disney acquired the SW franchise, they've produced one film (TFA) that was OK, introduced new characters but basically a re-set for the franchise. One film (R1) that was widely acknowledged as being in the top-3 in the franchise and now this film (TLJ) which is heavily split and receiving some severe negative feedback. Does one film ruin the entire bunch?
If anything, I'd request Disney to remove Rian Johnson and anybody else that bought into his 'moving on' ideas, and attach Gareth Edwards and the rest of the R1 team to make the ninth movie.

I don't think the whole series is ruined, Rogue One was excellent and TFA was pretty good. This just sucked. you are right, they need to get rid of Rian for episode 9. I worry about the Disney-fying of Han in the new Solo movie. I doubt they will show him as the outlaw, drug smuggler he became and turn him into a loveable rogue type guy.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
they need to convene a committee of nerd-Cardinals to review scripts. There has to be a fabric of truth to that universe.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
quote:
FUCK YOU DISNEY! You have ruined Star Wars.

Star Wars was decimated several movies ago. It's now just sci-fi bubblegum pop. That we all go see. This time, I was surprised to find I enjoyed it.

And it will never end. I'm almost 50 and I will not live to see the Last Star Wars movie. I'm not looking forward to the next one. I have no questions I need another movie to answer.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It was really bad. I love SW. This was a travesty.

Too many problems to recount. That Canadian hit most of the high points.

Laura Dean in a prom dress is the Admiral of the Fleet. Fuck us all. (If she had briefed anyone on the plan countless lives wouldn’t have been lost).

Horrible. Seriously don’t waste your time or money.

This just about sums it up! I have zero doubt that three Star Wars megafans could have written and directed a better movie than this steaming turd.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge Star Wars fan and grew up with the original trilogy and EU books. Finally saw this last Friday and walked out feeling disgusted, irritated, and with no desire to see anything else passed off as "Star Wars" by Disney.

I'll stick with the OT and my Zahn/Stackpole books.

Posts: 237 | Registered: February 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
So I was watching clips of The Last Jedi, specfically the scene where Ren and Rey are fighting the Praetorian Guard. At one point, one of the guards blocks a lightsaber with his gauntlets. Yet every single other guard gets cut down by lightsaber slashes. If they had developed a non-energized counter to a lightsaber, you would think their entire armor set would similarly withstand a blow.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to throw in my two cents. I did like the movie. I can see the point of everyone who didn't, for me it was mostly Mary Poppins and the bombers. And the jokes, the first "can you hear me now" joke was over the top, and I was a little shocked they would go that far over the top, but I stepped back for a second and thought "well that is kinda funny", and then the light saber toss I saw how it was going to go and I was into it.

But here is what I DID like.

I liked the Luke/Rey interactions. I liked how Luke explained he disillusionment, about how things existed in the middle, and the absolutes were the problem. I can believe that and understand his point of view.

I really liked how Luke explained that what he saw in Ren was a boy that was shock and hurt by his mentor. I can completely see and feel that emotion, and I liked it.

I liked the Ren/Rey interactions, I thought it was very believable. I could see how each of them was trying to work their side and point of view on each other. I can see Rey's naivete in thinking she can change or fix Ren, and I can see Ren's conflict.
And I liked the way they portrayed his conflict, it's not wishy-washy...hes bad but I can see it, his rage fighting some grains of empathy.

Ren vs Snoke, I am glad and supprised he killed him. I would have expected that was an end battle as in XI, but I can see why he did it, and it fits his character. I did like the collaboration between Ren/Rey against the guards, it shows a higher level relationship.

The Del Toro character, I didn't like him, but I like how they used him. I was thinking he was going to be the Solo that turns good in the end. I was a little skeptical at first but they played into the Solo mold very well. But they broke it, and I'm glad they did, it wasn't typical or easy. Not only did he sell them out, he sold them out hard, giving up the transports when he didn't have to. I think it fit into the theme of the movie with Luke and his absolutes.

Luke/Yoda, I liked it a lot. It wasn't hokey CGI Yoda flying around, it was the wisdom of an elder. And shows why those absolutes are there.

So over all I liked the story they were trying to tell. Even with the rough edges.

I do take exception to Disney trying to use the franchise for their causes. I HATE the whole female lead thing, the way they protrayed the male characters with flaws and female characters as the heros. Why couldn't they have switched the Del Toro and Dern characters?? Have Dern play the asshole sell out. I'd say that is my biggest gripe.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
So I was watching clips of The Last Jedi, specfically the scene where Ren and Rey are fighting the Praetorian Guard. At one point, one of the guards blocks a lightsaber with his gauntlets. Yet every single other guard gets cut down by lightsaber slashes. If they had developed a non-energized counter to a lightsaber, you would think their entire armor set would similarly withstand a blow.

In the EU the Mandalorians develop armor called Beskar which can and does deflect Light Saber blows. Due to the stiffness of it, it only works on non flexible pieces of armor. My guess is Johnson kinda stole the idea for this film.

BTW I thought this movie was a dripping pile of steaming horseshit. Poe is the only character worth rooting for, and that ain't saying much.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Cortosis is also resistant to lightsabers.

But that is also EU which according to Disney is all crap now

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

In the EU the Mandalorians develop armor called Beskar which can and does deflect Light Saber blows. Due to the stiffness of it, it only works on non flexible pieces of armor. My guess is Johnson kinda stole the idea for this film.

That would make sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to apply to the Guard armor, because there are plenty of non-flexible armor pieces like chest armor and greaves that don't withstand lightsaber slashes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Orguss,

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cortosis is also what jedi armor is made of. Usually a weave into a hard plate. It can be seen in the clone wars shows. Obi wan wears it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post