Notify
Tools

The Expanse Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Awesome series and great finale.

Spolier...

One question. So did Naomi know at the end that her son had actually survived? I'll have to re-watch that scene but was hoping someone could clarify that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

One question. So did Naomi know at the end that her son had actually survived? I'll have to re-watch that scene but was hoping someone could clarify that.

Nope.

FWIW Pete Peppers has done a great job covering the series on YouTube. Your question is answered in context in his video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEj6AsfOJw

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16224 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the book Fillip doesnt get on ship when they head out to Medina station...and is never heard of again in the books.. They ended like I thought they would...Laconia will be another series.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just starting Adaddon's Gate. I'm enjoying the books. I remember complaining about Avasarala's potty mouth in the 4th season. She's pretty much like that throughout the books so far.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Pulled of another site.

That is tremendous! Cool

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They did a pretty good job with this episode. I can’t wait until the next season.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
They did a pretty good job with this episode. I hope there's a can’t wait until the next season.

Fify

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
I noticed the Telemetry board for the Marines involved in the airborne attack showing a couple of familiar names. First it was Hudson, then Ripley.
Funny coincidence. Then I saw a still of the completed board and the gang is all there -
Ripley E.
Hudson W.
Hicks D.
Vasquez J.
Plus, Conner S. and Deckard R.
Kinda threw everything up there.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2174 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Already discussed on the previous page:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...120094884#1120094884

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
- sigh -
That's what I get for skimming threads.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2174 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm greatly enjoying the books. Wish Amazon had 4-6 boxed like 1-3.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16189 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just finished the fifth book last night. The books do some things better, and the show does somethings better. I'll read the sixth and take a break for a bit.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I'm greatly enjoying the books. Wish Amazon had 4-6 boxed like 1-3.

I'm a little over halfway through Abbadon's Gate

A few more deviations between the book & show as it progresses. Not sure why they swapped Michio & Camina on the show. Drummer hasn't even been mentioned yet in the books.

Need to get book 4 ordered, as I'll likely finish 3 by the end of this week or next (I read for an hour or so before going to sleep).

Also, a compilation of the novellas is being published next month.

I think this [book] series has become one of my favorites after the Ender's Game/Shadow series.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The character Drummer isn't introduced until #5 Nemesis Games, and is referred to as "sir" a couple of times.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The character Drummer isn't introduced until #5 Nemesis Games, and is referred to as "sir" a couple of times.

Michio (Pa, as referred to in most of the book so far) is referred to as Sir quite often as well. I assumed it was just military-like address.
The same happened in the series with the captain of the Donnager when the Roci crew arrived on board. She was referred to as sir.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a common trope in a number of sci-fi series.

For example, female superior officers in both the Star Trek universe and Battlestar Galactica universe are regularly referred to as Sir.

(Captain Janeway from ST:VOY was a notable exception, with her specifically requesting not to be referred to as "Sir".)

I guess it's supposed to highlight the gender egalitarianism in these futuristic settings.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished Abaddon's Gate last night. Should have Cibola Burn later today.

More deviation between the book/show through book 3. Draper & Bull, specifically.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Finished Babylon's Ashes. Drummer is a very minor character.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

The show and books don't 100% mesh. More like 80% with most plot points meshing completely. IMO it looks like they are going to put books 7-9 into one more season.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:

The show and books don't 100% mesh. More like 80% with most plot points meshing completely. IMO it looks like they are going to put books 7-9 into one more season.

This is what I've noticed too.
Book 1 is really close, 2 a bit less so. 3 took it further from the show, with some character deviations, but overall hit the main plot points.

Not sure if I missed it on the show, but got the preview of Cibola Burn at the end of Abaddon's Gate that Basia (from Ganymede) was part of the landing pad bomb on Ilus.
Wasn't until they mentioned Katoa that it clicked. I don't remember that tie being made in the show.

Hoping a TV continuation gets approved. Would like to see the point of the Laconia arc. I'll probably have all 9 books & novellas read by the time a 'final' season airs.