New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Expanse Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I didn't see anything about this but I binge watched it while I was recovering from surgery. It's been pretty good and reminds me a lot of what Sci Fi used to be with shows like Farscape. It seems the Canadians are taking the lead on new Scifi shows. Also a fan of Dark Matter.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7051 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like both as well. The Expanse's visuals are wonderful. 2nd season is meh on the story, but I'm reading the 2nd book now & figured out what is going on a little better than the show has done so far.
I'm really wishing the books were on kindle unlimited - 10$ a pop, but I'm too impatient to stop now.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me too. Binged the 1st season last week when I was down with the flu. Catching up on the 2nd season now. It was on my list for awhile. Wish I hadn't put it off so long. It definitely has all the things I like in a SyFy show. I think I like Dark Matter more, though. There is also something about the actor that plays Holden that I don't like. They did a good job with casting otherwise. Lots of familiar faces.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying the show as well. I hope Thomas Jane isn't gone entirely. Miller was the coolest character.

Posts: 6002 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like both the expanse and dark matter. I will have to wait until the season is over and watch them on streaming channels.

If you haven't seen it, watch "Ascension". It's pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love this show. we won't be able to watch it this week, and the wife set the DVR to super secret never delete code so my kids don't delete it while we are away

I have a strange affinity for Amos.....definitely a connection. Maybe that makes me weird, but I kind of view him as there but for the grace of of God go I

Plus I'm a browncoat and I loved Jayne...I think Jayne and Amos would enjoy telling some war stories over several mugs of muddsr's milk

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read it got renewed for season 3.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I've been enjoying the show as well. I hope Thomas Jane isn't gone entirely. Miller was the coolest character.

Well one of the fun parts of the books is how he haunts Holden. So I hope they keep it. Would be fun in the show.
The only real problem I had was my love affair with the Roci. I do not like the one in the show and had constructed it completely differently in my mind.
Also, Bobby is not how I imagined her either. I guess I can't have everythingSmile
I love the show and loved the books so I am definitely having fun.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3569 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I have a strange affinity for Amos.....definitely a connection. Maybe that makes me weird, but I kind of view him as there but for the grace of of God go

I really feel like they got his character right. He was also one of my favorites and they are doing a good job with him.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3569 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying the series

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53073 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I have a strange affinity for Amos.....definitely a connection. Maybe that makes me weird, but I kind of view him as there but for the grace of of God go

I really feel like they got his character right. He was also one of my favorites and they are doing a good job with him.

Yeah, not so much in the first season for me, but definitely in the 2nd season.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
I wonder when, or if, Gunney Draper will fully remember what she saw on Ganymede.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Dare I say this series harkens back to Babylon 5 with a good characters leading an interesting story that's interspersed with tremendous space battles? I'm trying to hold myself to watching only two or three episodes per night. Almost done with Season 1 and looking forward to watching Season 2.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading the fourth book, and they've been excellent. I read all four in about a week, just couldn't put them down. If you like "hard" sci-fi you might want to check them out.

The TV show I thought was excellent, though it does veer from the books. For example, the UN Under-Secretary isn't in the first book, but the show's first season covers half of that first book.

I thought the casting was fantastic, though. Miler and Amos are just about exactly how I imagined them. There's not as much height differences as in the books, but there's only so much you can do (morphological differences are basically the new "race" in the books, and they make a lot of "tall skinny Belter walks into a oom full of shorter, squat Earthers, gets stared at" kind of thing).

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started binge watching this series. Pretty good so far. Feels like movie production quality.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I watched the first season on Amazon and loved it. I'll watch any Sci-fi I can find and this show is excellent.

Impatiently waiting for 2nd season to become available on Amazon.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Agreed. It's a very good series.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love it. Anxiously awaiting season 3

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it on netflix?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished the last episode of season 2. All in all it's been a pretty decent watch. I could do with less of infinity-lasting face shots when somebody is serious or sad (which is pretty much the whole show), and I have a few other minor complaints (mostly military related) but I still like it enough to see what season 3 will be like.

One major gripe I have with the show, though, is the girl they miscast for the role of the female gunnery sergeant doesn't even come close to being a shadow of one. A Marine Corps gunnery sergeant - an individual that is a veteran of at least 12+ years active service and is the epitome of military bearing - being portrayed by a pudgy 24-year old is ludicrous. I guess I'm not the producers' target demographic for the show as I keep hoping she'll get killed off to spare viewers any more of her cringeworthy attempt at being a "soldier".

Yeah, that's another gripe. Characters in the show that should know better (like Marines) keep calling Marines - soldiers. I was Navy and it was emphasized to us that you call a Marine - "Marine", not "soldier". Nothing at all against Army soldiers, it's just the culture of the Corps and they've earned that right of respect.

Anyway - decent sci-fi show; could be better; but an interesting story and Thomas Jane's role is damn good.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post