SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6* Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I’m not sure what it weighs but being all plastic it’s not much, I know the ACR stock has been adapted to the SCAR 16 & 17, the AK the Bren 805 & Scorpion EVO as well. I would be interested in comparing the weight of my 11” 805 to your 11” gen2 when you get it

Yeah, fair enough. I'll weigh it before and after I change out the parts. The aluminum parts shouldn't add much, being tiny.

quote:
I’m curious about the safety on your trigger pack … will it not stay on or are you disengaging it on the right side?

No my video, but I think he's just disengaging it from the right side with the side of his trigger finger.

quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Who are you guys using for photo hosting?

https://postimages.org/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
After a couple hours fiddling with it… I already like it.

HBI trigger and Neoteric Designs safety will go in eventually, but good gravy the factory trigger is good. I’m gonna go ahead and order that extended bolt catch and wait until I’ve got time to install all of them in one go.

No time to get to the range this week, or this weekend. It may be a bit before I can get to go shoot it, but I’m looking forward to it more than any gun I’ve bought since the FS2000 back in 2015. This one was built in 2021, so it's basically new.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the direct mount option for the light with the HBI handguard, keeps things clean and simple.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Handy little sucker

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I did the direct mount option for the light with the HBI handguard, keeps things clean and simple.

Nice. It's hard to argue with direct mount.

quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Handy little sucker

Oh, it really is. I like it even better after getting to handle it and dry fire it some more. Really, really light little gun. Well-balanced. This may sound silly, but it reminds me of an M1 carbine.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be interested in comparing the weight of my 11” 805 to your 11” gen2 when you get it

Ok, as set up, and unloaded, the kitchen scale says six pounds, four ounces. That’s with a Strike Industries Link angled QD on the left side. I forgot to weigh the gun before I changed any parts, but I don’t think I added more than an ounce or two. It is light, and very handy. I like it a lot. That HBI trigger takes the very good factory trigger the extra bit, and it’s now excellent. I sorted through all my ammo and mags and have a whole pile of Russian steel cased stuff to take to the range to burn up. Oh, and the gun was made exactly a year ago, and shows just the merest signs of being shot. I think I got a pretty damn good deal for $1,650.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My kitchen scale only goes to 3 pounds so I had to use the digital bathroom scales Roll Eyes
The 805 with YHM QD mount, bottom hand guard picitinny rail cover, ACR stock, retro magwell & factory CZ sights weighs in at 7.2 pounds

But I shoot it with a Vortec Razor 1-6x24 which scope & 1-piece mount bumps it up to 9.0

In someways we’re comparing apples to oranges but I really don’t want to strip it down to weigh the bare gun, I’m sure there are specs somewhere … I’ll find my box tomorrow and it most likely has the owners manual in it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nearly a whole pound. I wonder how much of that is the stock. I like the way the ACR looks better in general, but mounting options on the Bren 2 are either a short adapter (DH) that screws to the receiver, or a long adapter that mounts like a factory stock, but looks like ass (LI). There’s a gun shop in Phoenix that has a bunch of 922R kits in stock, and another guy on Gunjoker who does also. Probably just grab one of those and call it good.

On the fence about what to do with the handguard. Apparently it’s not unheard of to snap a screw head off while torquing the HBI handguard down, leaving the screw in the barrel, it’s common to need to leave one screw untorqued so the bolt carrier rides freely. People don’t have that issue with the factory hand guards. There’s also these, which fit the factory handguard and give back a lot of the look of the military issue version, if they ever come back in stock:

https://www.p2tactical.com/pre...picatinny-rails.html

Speaking of the 805, there’s a guy selling an 805 8” for $1,450 with a brace mounted and a stock included for getting it SBRed. Gonna be a damn good deal for someone. If I wasn’t moving, I’d probably try to pick it up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
factory CZ sights

Those look so low as to be unusable.

Posts: 2088 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Found my box and owners manual this morning ... it said the pistol weighs 3050(grams) or 6.7241 pounds.

I looked up the weight of the gen 2 and it says it weighs 5.6

So the difference between the guns without a mag is about 1.1 pounds.

That's not enough of a difference for me to go out and buy a 2nd gen in 5.56 ... but I would like to have one in 7.62x39 and its only available in 2nd gen!

Did they ever get the quick change barrel/caliber accomplished or is it vaporware like so many other companies who claimed they would have the 2-3 calibers and one host?

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
factory CZ sights

Those look so low as to be unusable.

They probably are with the ACR stock, but I do have other taller sights I'd use if I needed to have them. When target shooting I can't see anything but a blur past 25 yards so I have a scope on nearly everything.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So while the 5.56 guns have a reputation for running like an old Singer sewing machine, the 7.62x39 guns have been completely hit or miss. Some guys report running thousands of rounds through them without a single hiccup, and yesterday I read a report from a guy that he averages five failures to both feed and extract out of ten. That’s with the new gas regulator that CZ sent him. That’s abysmal.

What I’m reading suggests that CZ built the 7.62x39 guns to specifically run the brass cased loading that GIGN uses, and didn’t account at all for the absurdly wide range of ammo one might encounter in that caliber. But at the same time, the guy I mentioned with the failures says he was having rounds hang up in the ejection port just manually cycling the bolt. Working it quickly, they would just barely clear it, and slowly, they’d jam altogether at the chamber. He asked others with known good guns to try it and report their results, and one guy said he was able to do it both quickly and slowly, and everything cycled and ejected. This suggests that it could be an extractor/ejector issue.

CZ has re-released a “fixed” version of this gun in the 9” and 14” barrel lengths, and the 11” hasn’t yet made it to the US, but I have no idea if these are actually fixed or not. My suggestion at this point would be to avoid this gun in this caliber for now until it’s fully sussed out whether there’s a fix. It’s a shame, too, because one of the guys who has one of the good ones says it’s head and shoulders better than his Galil ACE Gen 2 in all categories. CZ could own that segment of the market if they got their head out of their ass.

As for new calibers with a barrel, bolt and magazine change, that’s still vaporware, unfortunately. The magazines I have are marked 5.56/.300, and supposedly the Czech military wanted a .300 Blackout suppressed version. I don’t think they got it. I remember reading that someone asked a CZ rep about it some time recently, and supposedly this is still in the works. I guess we’ll see. There’s a guy on Reddit who had someone convert his 8” to .300 Blackout and that seems like a fun gun. They have a 7.62x51BR (for “battle rifle”) version that they’re not importing to the US, and reportedly have no plans to. Also a shame to not have a direct contender to the SCAR 17 on the market here. Again: head>ass.