SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6* Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I have AR's. Ok, moving on.

I want a nice, military-grade 5.56 that feeds from STANAG mags. I have a whole pile of mags, and I'm going to make it two or six piles before I'm done, with ammo to go with, so that's a requirement that rules out a lot of neat stuff. CZ Bren? X95? Galil ACE? ARX160? B&T APC? ACR? AUG? Hellion? Others? Sadly, I won't consider the Sig 556 because SIG doesn't support their products, which is a shame because my best friend had one that was amazing, but he was lucky to get one of the "good ones." If I open my requirement on the magazines, then there's always the traditional AUG and many others, I'm sure. In the same ballpark in terms of pricing, there's actual SIG options, perhaps.

However, I keep coming back to the SCAR 16. There's all kinds of aftermarket for it, and from what I understand, none of the problems that seem to dog the 17 are issues with the 16, like killing optics and having the rear hinge plate crack. I know those are caliber related, but still. In terms of parts and breakage, it doesn't seem to need much, if anything in the way of keeping spares on hand. This is a pretty solid endorsement in terms of reliability:

I've noticed some trends here in terms of the market. SCAR 17's pop up used for sale all the time. Usually $4.5-5k and loaded with aftermarket everything, but otherwise in new condition. I never see used 16's pop up for sale. The conclusions I draw from that are that probably a fair number of people think they want a battle rifle in a battle rifle caliber, then decide they don't need or want, or want to feed all that ooomph with the .308 in the 17. The other conclusion I've drawn is that the 16 is so good, that it's the kind of rifle you buy and never let go of. That, or they make so few of them that used examples sell immediately. Or maybe it's both. However, in the years I've been watching my local gun board, I've only seen a couple show up, and none of those were in the last year or so.

Prices keep going up. That's not a shock, everything's getting more expensive. I've checked with the local gun shops who can get FN stuff and asked if they could get a SCAR 16. Every time I've asked, they've checked whatever dealer portal it is they use, and they say "there's none available." This is also a few times since the non-reciprocating charging handle variants came to market. I know FN likes to artificially inflate their own prices by keeping production too low to match demand. If and when I decide I want to go ahead and snag one, I think it will be a protracted affair, with me sitting on the money for months until I get lucky. For something that's still being produced, this strikes me as absurd. I seem to remember JlJones was all about these some years back, then said he didn't recommend them anymore and I forget the reason why, but I recall that it made sense.

Or maybe I'm totally off my nut and maybe I should just "buy a BCM and spend the rest on ammo and training!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
From what I've read (take that info with a grain of salt) the 16 is supposed to be a very reliable & dependable rifle. If money isn't an option & it seems you really want one I see no need to look elsewhere.
That being said, IMO, the X95 is a fantastic rifle! Mine has been steller. No issues with anything. It takes a bit to get used to & a Geiselle trigger pack is a must (for me anyway) & lots of support.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I have a scar16 and love it. I shoot it more than my various M4/AR pattern rifles. Everyone who shoots it comments on the benign recoil impulse, the lack of barrel rise, and quick follow up shots.

I don’t like the stock. Although it’s comfortable (despite being ugly) the plastic latch and inability to swing it open quickly has a cheap feel to it. I have nothing to base this on except feel… but I think if I carried it around a deployment it would break. Maybe I’m wrong. For clarity, it’s just the latching mechanism I don’t care for. Once shouldered, the stock is great and I have no interest in aftermarket stocks for aesthetics.

If you find one, get it. I am not a collector or someone who buys guns as investments. I purchased all of mine to actually use them. That said, I have sold several guns that just did not work out for me or I did not like after owning. I do not think I will sell this. I like it, it’s fun to shoot, reliable, remains very clean, easy to maintain etc. Hope that helps you with your decision.

I also have an APC223, which I haven’t even shot yet so I can’t compare them. I have the old reciprocating CH, love it, no issues, and not getting the NRCH.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a SCAR16; got the ~13.5" barrel with long BE Meyers hider pinned. It was a very nice gun; accurate; a pleasure to shoot. I sold it years ago, and I don't miss it, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. If I still had it, I think I'd pin a direct thread can on it. If you're interested in one, I say go for it; they're good guns. Nowadays I'd be more apt to pursue something like an LMT, if I wanted a prestige piston gun; they retain the "svelte" profile of the AR. The SCAR is a very light gun though; it felt that way to me anyway.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I vote yes, for all the reason's you brought up. Get one!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Had one and sold it. It was a fine gun. It to me it didn’t do anything my ARs couldn’t do for half the money. I still have my 17 though as it is an improvement t over the AR 10 at least to me

Sounds like you really want one and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them so go for it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
You only live once. You deserve the finer luxury items that interest you.
With the Geisselle Super Scar trigger … The 16 is terrific.
BTW. I had my Scar 17 for 10 years . Bury it with me.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
As you said, you have ARs.

You could buy a different mag fed 5.56 rifle and have something different.

Or, for SCAR money....

You could buy one of the Savage Elite chassis guns in 6mm Creedmoor and go shoot out to almost a mile at a PRS match. THAT, would be different indeed!

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold all my AR's...I did not sell my SCAR 16.
If you can afford it, go for it. Not once have I regretted buying mine.

Posts: 638 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I love my Scar, it is now 10” with lots of PMM accessories and it’s perfect for shorter ranges.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine more than my ars, I do prefer switching out the rails on the front for PMM options, and the grip to something more vertical.

I do also think that they have gotten a little astronomical with their pricing which disappoints me for new buyers, but they are fantastic guns and likely the most durable rifles that are made.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Military Grade Stanag "not AR", HK 416/MR556 was my choice. Yeah it's AR based but quite a bit different, and it is being fielded by the Marines (and other groups) and you can get spare parts.

MCX Virtus is another choice that has been fielded.

The SCAR to me never really took off and lived up to the promise and hype. I'd consider one, but current prices in the $3500 range are a bit steep. Just hate the 16" barrel on the short piston action. Needs a 14.5 pin and weld at the longest not to look funny.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Garland Thumb just posted a video on the 16, definitely worth watching if your interested in buying one!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Galil Ace. It's as reliable as an AK. I prefer the features of the Gen 1 but they're getting hard to find.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Can you post the link?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think I need to look more into the Galil ACE and the 416. Due diligence.

quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
You could buy one of the Savage Elite chassis guns in 6mm Creedmoor and go shoot out to almost a mile at a PRS match. THAT, would be different indeed!

It sounds fun, but unfortunately, I don't think anything like that is in the cards for me. I have tremors. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
Garland Thumb just posted a video on the 16, definitely worth watching if your interested in buying one!

Yeah, such is my timing. I post this thread and the next morning, I wake up and open youtube because I can't even get it together to make coffee and that's the first thing I see. I'll be competing with his whole following now, lol. I was surprised to learn that the bolt doesn't reciprocate... until it does for the final round in the magazine. So it's basically still a thumb buster. Plenty have learned to live with that, I guess I can, too. The tidbit with the supressor voiding the warranty also surprised me, but it seems like half the pictures I see of them, there's a can on the end of it. Must not be that big a problem.

I wasn't totally settled on it before, and I'm still not. But the scale got tipped a little further in that direction since I posted this thread.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not shot a Galil Ace, but, in handling them, I'd say they are quite heavy and chunky, when compared to your other options. I also think short-stroke systems may have more to offer than long-stroke.

The silencer warranty thing has puzzled me since I learned of it. I never used a can on mine, when I had it, but I sure as hell would now, and I reckon I wouldn't care what the warranty says. Seems like a cop-out, on FN's part, when we're talking about a modern fighting rifle.

The cocking handle is pretty divisive. I am one of the people who isn't bothered by a reciprocating handle.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I have not shot a Galil Ace, but, in handling them, I'd say they are quite heavy and chunky, when compared to your other options.

SCAR 7.25 lbs. Galil ACE 7.5 lbs.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My internal scales are imperfectly calibrated, though ultimately not incorrect. Wink

Those guns are similarly configured? I know the ACE can be had a few different ways. The ACE not having an adjustable gas system pretty well kills it for me anyway, and ought to knock it out of contention for someone considering a SCAR. I know you can use a KNS adjustable piston, but I just don't understand why IWI didn't do it adjustable to start with.

posted Hide Post
That's funny KSGM. The Ace is chunky for sure IMO.
But in any case I have two things I consider 'collections'. First I own lots of sigs and second I own a decent number of stanag mag guns that are not AR's. Like nearly all of the ones that commonly can be bought in the US. Everything mentioned in this thread minus at the moment the hellion which I haven't seen in retail plus I have a few not mentioned. Of all of them my favorite is and has been the SCAR. Yes its expensive, and parts are something that can take time to get (but you rarely need) and you likely want to make a few changes to make it better (I would put Geissle and PMM rail updates in that list). But barrels are easy to get and change. Its totally easy to shoot and amazingly reliable and easy to maintain. Yes some of the other options are better in one specific way or another, but none to me have the balanced performance of the SCAR. You certainly won't regret getting and shooting one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post