SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
I knew there would be some but didn't realize so much.

Nearly “off the paper” was significant, but in this case not as much as we usually might think. I dialed 0.6 mils or about 2.2 inches right to move the POI to where the pictured group ended up. I usually shoot other loads with that rifle.

Oh I see, well that's not much at 2.2". I didn't stop to think off the paper was relative to paper size and given I use small paper at 100yrd with 6 on each I should have known not to assume. lol

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh I see, well that's not much at 2.2".

Yeah: The things we don't think about when making comments. After you responded I realized that you didn't have any way of knowing what I meant and were probably thinking of something much larger. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47361 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,
Finally got my hands on a T3X Tactical 308, not the A1, and it's a beauty
Doing the barrel break in now.
Mounted a Schmidt and Bender 3-12X50
As soon as I'm done with barrel beak in I'm putting my Omega 300 can on it .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmoid,

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,

Did you ever get your code for the free extra mag?

I still haven't received one but Beretta has no problem at all spamming me with e-mails trying to get me to buy something.

quote:
quote:
You're welcome, just remember to follow their instructions exactly.

We shall see. The odd thing I experienced was in entering the purchase date.

When I filled out the form originally there was no problem with the date. I then uploaded the receipt, but before submitting decided to go back and highlight the serial number. I couldn’t, though, change what had been uploaded, so I closed the page and then started over. Every time I tried to enter the purchase date after that it kept changing to a different date. I tried several different times, including after closing the page and going back, but it kept doing the same thing. The date that was automatically entered was still within the proper period so I finally just left it, but it doesn’t match the date on the receipt. I suppose that could cause the request to be rejected. Time will tell.

But thanks again. It would be nice to have a spare magazine for free.

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Finally got my hands on a T3X Tactical 308, not the A1, and it's a beauty .

Very nice. Let us know how it shoots.

I haven't received the free magazine or heard anything.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47361 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Finally got my hands on a T3X Tactical 308, not the A1, and it's a beauty

Doing the barrel break in now.
As soon as I'm done with barrel beak in I'm putting my Omega 300 can on it .

Nice rifle.

I'm curious why you don't shoot with a can from the get go. Since I started using suppressors, from first shot to the last before scrapping the barrel, the can is screwed on.

What criteria do you use to determine when a barrel is broken in? Accuracy settles down? Copper fouling falls off? Carbon fouling falls off? Muzzle velocity stabilizes? Projected round count?

Posts: 7848 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Whoa, talk about a thread drift...
I subscribe to the John Krieger school of barrel break in
No can until I'm done with that
Once broke in I won't clean for at least 500 rounds or until accuracy falls off
Don't need to
I will post targets, but I've a feeling this Tikka is a driller....

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New 308 Winchester group at the bottom of the first post.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
T3x TACT A1 in lefty (JRTAC482L)
6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target

I had mine out for first site in the other day, shot sub MOA right out of the box. I'm pretty sure once I get more used to it those will be sub 1/2 MOA as most of the holes were touching.

I guess I like it :-)

-- Jeff

I don't seem to have permissions to upload in-line photos (or couldn't figure out how to), anyhow...

50yrd:

100yrd:

These were from my last outing where I had to lower my zero stop so I started at 50 then to 100yrds. All at 100 were sub 1MOA minus a couple fliers out of 7 five shot groups. This was the only one-hole though. I'm sure the rifle can do it every time if I can (unlikely). lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jxb,

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice groups.

As for posting photos:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6470098434

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Yeah I have to say I'm really impressed by the performance of the TAC A1. I'll be more impressed when "I" can do those groups most of the time at 100yrds and not 1/7th of the time.

As for posting images, I found a workaround for now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jxb,

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be more impressed when "I" can do those groups most of the time at 100yrds and not 1/7th of the time.

As our precision shooters here will tell us, at some point it really does come down to shooter skill and the techniques we use. I have confidence in my precision rifles, but I still struggle with getting consistent results due to that factor. Right now it’s cheek pressure on the stock that’s giving me fits.

I am curious how you were shooting: bench rest, bipod, positional—? I watch a lot of videos of people testing rifles and ammunition for precision and accuracy, and literally more often than not I think, “Yeah. I’m not surprised you didn’t do better,” and that’s at my imperfect level of knowledge and skill.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'll be more impressed when "I" can do those groups most of the time at 100yrds and not 1/7th of the time.

As our precision shooters here will tell us, at some point it really does come down to shooter skill and the techniques we use. I have confidence in my precision rifles, but I still struggle with getting consistent results due to that factor. Right now it’s cheek pressure on the stock that’s giving me fits.

I am curious how you were shooting: bench rest, bipod, positional—? I watch a lot of videos of people testing rifles and ammunition for precision and accuracy, and literally more often than not I think, “Yeah. I’m not surprised you didn’t do better,” and that’s at my imperfect level of knowledge and skill.

These were with bipod on a bench at the local range, rear bag was an old canvas shot bag filled with sand or maybe walnut media, I have two and they were made 20ish years ago, can't remember but something that getting wet doesn't bother.

Position is slotted bench, so as a lefty I was left side not face on (yeah I know, poor posture). Prior visits I was using a screw front rest with a stiff leather rear bag. Both work well but simply squeezing the rear bag as needed is quicker. I have it set up with an arca rail so the bipod is arca mount and that way I can use my tripods as well. I'm a photographer so I've been doing quick release arca (RRS) for more than a decade and noticed some videos where folks were using them, looks pretty handy for getting above the grass and more steady than the shooting sticks I've used for decades.

Keep in mind I didn't post the full six target 100yrd poster, most of my other groups were open or touching but stringing a little, but some had 3 and 4 shot one-hole groups others were as I dialed in the scope so of course mean nothing to the viewer. One was testing the scope and zero stop where I dialed up 1 mil so I could measure it later and below it a group where I would exercise the dial up/down full rotations to test if the zero stop was holding true. The 50yrd only had two groups, initial and the one shown.

Not the most comfortable place as for me the seat is too close to the bench top so I'm all scrunched up in the back. This day I was in right most slot 8 with all the slots filled and mostly with folks shooting 300 mags, including the slot 7 to my left. All I can say is it really forces you to disconnect and focus on the task at hand. Usually I squeezed right after the 300 mag went off so it wasn't tripping me up.

I've never shot bench rest or long distance as a discipline, but I used to go varminting a lot in the 90's with a portable bench as usually you need to get above the grass so prone is hit/miss depending on location. Very small targets at distance help hone the skills. After a break from shooting of about a decade (other than a few big game hunts) I was pretty rusty the first couple range outings earlier this fall but the muscle memory is starting to kick in.

Yesterday I finished sorting brass for each caliber by brand and appears I have found or replaced all the missing tools. So... time to get after some reloading, mostly for my varmint calibers but I picked up some 147gr ELD's and looking forward to working up a load that hopefully will work as well as these factory rounds (6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target). The goal being to reload for price reduction not necessarily improved grouping but I can't find (or afford the 147 ELD rounds) so making them is easy enough.

Needless to say I'll be prepping for spring on the dry side of the state, likely SE as there's more than enough room to find a spot with nobody around to put out ringers and let the Tikka stretch it's legs. Might get over there once/twice before then. I'm still looking for something on the east side that's closer, but it needs to be somewhere I can shoot past 1000yrds safely and without bothering folks. Closer as in 2-4hrs away, not 7+.

posted Hide Post
Sigfreund - Thank you for all the posts and detailed info.

I have owned a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM for a couple of years. Pulled the stock and put it in an XLR chassis. Switched out the trigger spring to bring trigger down to about 1.5 pounds. My results with factory Hornady ammo mirror yours - although I would say you're averaging approx. .2 MOA better than me, but that's probably attributable to the guy pulling the trigger.

Just bought a TAC A-1 because I shoot lefty and it's nice to finally have a LH precision rifle. Still sitting at my local FFL because I've been out of state for the last month, but really looking forward to shooting it.

And great info on barrel life. I always figured about 3000 rounds for 6.5CM. Probably have about 800-1000 rounds through my current Tikka.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and for those interested Eurooptic has a demo TAC A1 for sale for $1,700. I've purchased a couple of "demos" from them in the past and they have been indistinguishable from new.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s obvious you’re an experienced shooter, jxb, and thanks for your description of your shooting. I still get frustrated by not being able to shoot as well as I believe should be possible from different positions. Shooting over a heavy adjustable rest on a bench works best for me to obtain small groups, but the variations in pressure on the gun and perhaps other factors result in variations in group sizes and locations with respect to the point of aim.

You’re welcome, Houndog, and it’s good to know that at least a few members of a gun forum are interested in details about the subject. Wink

And thanks too for the heads-up about the demo; if I could justify another .... Smile

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Some from yesterday at the 100yrd range. Morning shoot starting about 37 degrees, ending about 45 degrees (Fahrenheit).

T3x TACT A1 in lefty (JRTAC482L)
6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target.

Upper left is where I started from a cold clean barrel, the one at 6 oclock is the 1st, maybe I pulled, maybe not. Then the other four with one being a flier. After this I decided to do one per target, each target is 2" with inner green 1/2".

last two groups, both 5 shot. I'm pretty cold by this time, I was cycling all morning between the TAC A1 and my old 22-250 700 Rem I had put a rail and new scope on. I'd let them cool until I could just still feel some warmth then switch. None of these are 22-250.

Needless to say I'm confident the TAC A1 can do one hole groups all day, just not with me behind it. Still, it's my most favorite to shoot as it's pretty much stick it on target and smile.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice. Smile

I also recommend trying some Hornady ELD Match ammunition.

But yours prompted me to post this from yesterday.
I was getting ready to test some penetration with my 308 Winchester T3x at 50 yards with Hornady 155 grain A-MAX Black, but wanted to ensure POI = POA. I marked a small red dot with a Sharpie, dialed the elevation for suppressor use, and fired the first shot of the day:

Yes, some chance at work of course, but it still brought a grin to my face.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Yours brought a grin to mine too, always nice when a plan works out.

"Hornady ELD Match ammunition"
I haven't found any of this, kinda gave up. I did pick up some 147gr ELD and I'll reload my norma brass with that but working up the load is kinda low priority. I'll get to it by spring.

Right now my reloading is focused on varmint calibers (204 Ruger, 220 swift, 22-250) now that I'm back into shooting I've got a lot of brass to process (thousands). When I quit shooting a little more than a decade ago I quit reloading too. Nice part is I have a bunch of once shot brass to process because towards the end I was just buying at shows and from HSM. Some might remember those days, back when everything seemed costly, but was dirt cheap compared to today.

posted Hide Post
Oh and BTW, I've talked to a few folks at the range that have either shot these or were planning to pick one up. Lots of interest and everyone that's shot one is super happy.

It's funny, people ask what it is and first comment after saying it's a Tikka is... oh that's the one with the butter soft bolt action right?

Wink