SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What does the title of the yellow highlighted column "UVP CHF" mean?

Perhaps a recommended selling price?
https://context.reverso.net/tr...isempfehlung+UPE+UVP

And thanks for that; an interesting list.
I noted, for example, that only one model TACT A1 has a metric muzzle thread.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YW, yeah I have been hoping that Tikka will add to their lineup in 2023 and have been watching for changes but haven't seen any. I'm not sure this file for 2023 means there won't be any new offerings, just was a hit for a search I was doing and like you I found it interesting. Super handy for looking up by feature since I can sort by column.

I think I had the address wrong for the city, it's actually
San Vittore
Grigioni - Switzerland

however that is read :-/

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual, I suppose, the manufacturer lists models that no one here seems to carry. At one time the TAC A1 model was available in 223 Remington. I was not seriously tempted, but considered it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I was originally thinking, oh .223 would be cheaper so maybe get something in that and the 20" barrel looked interesting. However what I found was that while there's lots of cheap .223 out there, the target/match stuff is nearly the same price as the 6.5 Creedmoor I shoot so I'll just stick with that.

Here's some from Jan 2023. I was a bit off, but all still <1moa, all five shot groups. The top one was the clean bore fouling shots, it only seems to need 1-2 to settle in which is surprisingly low compared to anything else I have. I actually shot these center of row out, so yeah I'm kinda all over the place and needed to focus better.

T3x TACT A1 in lefty (JRTAC482L)
6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target

Bench rest, 100yrd, bipod and rear bag. It was a cold day, but not as cold as previous outing.

This is simply to provide folks more info supporting these as consistently sub-moa from a factory rifle shooting factory ammo. I have not tried other factory ammo yet or handloads so I don't know if it's this consistent or simply likes that ammo. Also so far everything I have shown here and previously is from the same case of ammo. -- Jeff

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jxb,

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice. It's good to see these groups.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Nice. It's good to see these groups.

Another outing 26-Feb where I was getting a couple new to me Ruger No. 1's on paper. At the top is after that where I spent some quality time with the TAC A1. I was cold (4" slushy snow) but so happy with those groups I stopped after three 5 shot groups. I think I'm sold on these Tikka TAC A1's. The top group is a cold and clean bore, first shot at the bottom and it came right in after that.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
happy with those groups

I would be too. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Next I'm going to try some Norma 143gr bondstrike to see how they group compared to these 143gr match. Then I'm going to load up some Hornady 147gr ELD and see if I can work up a group. If I can't I know it's all me cause clearly the rifle is up to the task. On working up loads, if you have any tips or suggestions not mentioned above, I'm all ears.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of 6.5mm bullets, a big batch of Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass, primers, powder, and loading dies for the cartridge. I have never so much as looked up a starting load.

I keep telling myself that if I retire, retire for good and finally get bored enough with YouTube videos and run out of books to read, I’ll have the time and motivation to start handloading for the round (and some others), but that’s as far as I’ve gotten with the plan.

But I will be following your efforts. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
ROFL, it's almost like I said that. Most of my reloading and gun related stuff is so I have what I need going into retirement because I'll have regular but very limited funds (unless I work longer than planned and the market makes some magical change, neither of which I'm about to plan for).

My 6.5 Creedmoor thus far has been buy the ammo, it's not cheaper than reloading but close enough that I see no reason to reload for it. What I do will be strictly for curiosity. My reloading is more for my varmint rifles, those I can reload far cheaper and generally I'm just looking for sub 1moa from them.

I only recently got primers in enough numbers to think about doing any requiring large rifle which is most of what I have. Last fall I finally got stocked up on powder and I've now cleaned the hoards of brass that's sat around with my reloading gear during my over a decade break from shooting (much) and reloading.

So yeah, I'm right there with ya for the most part. Except I do little youtube and almost no books. I do have another shooting interest that was keeping me busy, photography. That's waning and as you know rekindling my other shooting interests. Smile

posted Hide Post
I recently got a box of 143gr Bondstrike wondering how POI would differ from the 143gr Target being they are both Norma. You'll likely need to click on this to view, but you tell me which is which, give up yet? These are all 5 shot groups from my TAC A1. I have to commend Norma for pulling that one off. I can't remember ever finding ammo from the same manu in the same weight where two different offerings gave the same POI.

100yrds, cold and very wet day at the range so I grabbed this target. Bad idea but that's a different story.

Now I'm thinking get some of those bondstrike bullets and some Norma 204 (if I can ever find any) and see if I can replicate their load. Looks like it's the one in their reloading data so I'm thinking it's doable.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good on finding the match, and good shooting. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
yeah I was really surprised. Bondstrike(2) are on the left with target on the right(3).

posted Hide Post
jxb -- nice shooting
quote:
I have to commend Norma for pulling that one off. I can't remember ever finding ammo from the same manu in the same weight where two different offerings gave the same POI.

It's rather common with good ammo at a short zero distance of 100 yards. A few hundred yards down range is an entirely different matter.

I haven't shot all that many types of ammo through my 6.5 Creedmoor, which has a Defiance action and multiple Bartlein barrels. The following factory ammo types all have the same POI at my 100 yards. Or better stated, any differences in POI are smaller than my accuracy capabilities.
Hornady -- 120 Amax, 140 Amax, 140 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, 147 ELD-M
Prime -- 130 HPBT

I've shot a bunch of different factory ammo types through my Defiance/Bartlein 308 Win. Ammo with the same POI at 100 yards:
Federal -- 168 GMM, 175 GMM
Hornady -- 168 Amax, 168 ELD-M, 168 HPBT
Black Hills -- 168 TMK, 175 TMK
Lapua -- 155 Scenar, 167 Scenar
Fusion -- 165

Hornady 155 Amax prints 1/4" high
Lapua 185 Scenar prints 1/4" low
Corbon 155 Scenar prints 1/4" high
Corbon 190 Scenar prints 1/4" low

My list for 223 Remy is even more extensive -- across AR15s and a bolt action.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Good info Fritz.

Yeah I have read a few places from the LD shooters that they found they must tune/test for the distance they are shooting because it could 1/2moa at 100 or even further out, but much different at 600 or especially 1000.

I can't remember exactly how they described it in terms used, but it's like there's grouping nodes at different ranges.

I did plan to test at different distances when I get out to the dry side (Eastern Oregon). I'll be sure to crono both of those and make up drop charts before.

I need to read up on this more. Generally in the past I've only shot out to <500yrds.

If you have any info or URL's to share, would be appreciated. I mean other than just test groups at distance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I have read a few places from the LD shooters that they found they must tune/test for the distance they are shooting because it could 1/2moa at 100 or even further out, but much different at 600 or especially 1000.

Whether one rolls their own or shoots factory ammo, accuracy should be evaluated at typical target distances.

A number of years ago, I stopped getting overly excited about 100 yard groups. I now rarely shoot at 100 yards -- mainly just to confirm my zero is still good. Many rifles, substantial types of ammo, and quite a few shooters can print good groups at 100 yards. Especially if the shooter cherry picks.

Now good groups at 100 yards are good indications that the ammo will perform well further down range, but not a guarantee. I'll leave the technical details to others -- I've heard it, understand it, but don't care to memorize it or repeat it. I've just seen boatloads of ammo types for which the accuracy falls apart a few hundred yards down range. Handloaders can futz with a number of factors to make a difference. Those of us who use factory ammo must either track manufacturing lot numbers or switch ammo, if accuracy at distance sucks.

When I test ammo for accuracy at distance, I primarily consider vertical dispersion. I rarely shoot in calm conditions, so horizontal dispersion that deviates dramatically from vertical dispersion is almost always due to my errors in wind calls. Of course this assumes the ammo has low variations in muzzle velocity.

Handloaders test ammo for the muzzle velocity nodes. You just have to experiment with what works for a given barrel -- again, at the expected target distances.

In my experience there isn't any magic pixie dust for evaluating accuracy at distance. You just have to get out there and do it. IMO the most challenging part is (1) knowing that your marksmanship fundamentals are strong and repeatable and (2) acquiring the skills to know when fliers are caused by the equipment or your own slop.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice write up, thanks Fritz.

I really need to relocate to somewhere I can get into a long range or shoot open areas. I kinda gave up looking here locally as it literally takes years to get into a range. Eventually we'll retire and move or at least get another place on the dry side. That will make shooting as far as I like super easy.

posted Hide Post

sigfreund: keeping your most excellent thread going ;-)

I added a GRS bipod, this actually required getting my local machine shop to mill one more pic slot on the end as the hanger needs to be flush with the end and the front hole in the adapter was too far forward. Since it was simplest to mill another slot in the forearm that's what we did. Easy as pie.

Funny part is I can't use this at my normal range cause their tables are too short, but on the ground it's pretty sweet.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Great on having someone to do it; looks good. And thanks for the update that might help others.

Top-mounted bipods have a distinct following and I've often wondered about using one myself, but never made the effort to find out. I will be interested in learning how the setup works for you.

My precision rifle shooting has been limited to a couple/three very short sessions per month during the winter, but the temps are getting into the 40s and snow is mostly gone from where I shoot, so I'm looking forward to some better days. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Bringing this back up for those who may still be interested in, or who are just now discovering Tikka rifles.

I have developed a course of fire for intermediate range shooting with precision rifles that a friend and I shoot from time to time. It involves shooting at different targets from different distances and positions, and I usually include a “confirmation” target that consists of five circles engaged from the prone at 100 yards. The outside circles are 3 inches in diameter and the inner with the aiming crosses are 2 inches in diameter.

Pictured is yesterday’s target using the T3x TAC A1 chambered for 308 Winchester and shooting Hornady 155 grain A-MAX TAP ammunition. Because the prone position is difficult for me to assume and quickly becomes uncomfortable to maintain, I broke position slightly between targets to raise my head and stretch my neck. Although I’m not certain, that may account for the somewhat different positions of the two-shot “groups.”

I say “groups” in quotation marks because normally of course two shots don’t prove anything about precision or accuracy. But in this case and firing five of the groups in succession gave me a pretty good confirmation that the rifle and sight were properly zeroed for 100 yards (when shooting from the prone, anyway, and I may dial one click left to see what that does next time).

As for what the session demonstrated about the rifle which was the original purpose of this thread, these were the sizes of the groups in each target:

1. 0.388", ~0.37 MOA
2. 0.611", ~0.58 MOA (Second shot was somewhat rushed.)
3. 0.343", ~0.33 MOA
4. 0.040", ~0.04 MOA
5. 0.401", ~0.38 MOA

And as I’ve said before, I am perfectly satisfied with this rifle.

6.4/93.6

— Plato