SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka T3x TAC A1 chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor (and now 308 Win), a review.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3x TAC A1 chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor (and now 308 Win), a review. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what kind of shooting noobinacan is discussing or considering. These are bolt action long range precision rifles. Can't even imagine some scenario that this issue matters, but of course willing to learn. I've expended thousands of rounds through both platforms but never noticed any difference that I thought was thermal on the barrel.
I'm a TRG addict and have a pretty good 'inventory' in lots of calibers. But having a couple of TAC's at this point (all in 6.5CM if that matters) I can't imagine why anyone would want a TRG. Like none. I'm surprised its still available given all the various better options (that's not a sign I don't love mine, but time really has passed it by). Want a new precision rifle, there are so many better choices with better chassis, caliber changes, etc...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 9865 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I can't imagine why anyone would want a TRG.

I couldn’t bring myself to be blunt enough to say the same thing, but I must agree unless it’s for reasons that don’t have anything to do with performance.

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell

Posts: 44819 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I cannot give any good advice about which would be more accurate (precise) with heavy use because I (have) never exposed either to that sort of thing. I’ve fired up to 30 rounds or so at one session, but it was always slow fire.

Although my TRGs were excellent performers in my experience, I’m just happier with the features of the T3x TAC. The TRG is a pretty old design and Tikka did a good job (IMO) with the T3x TAC A1.

I wanted a 20 inch barrel for the 308 and that’s part of the reason I let the 26" TRG go even though I had an older T3 Tactical in 20". But in addition the Tikkas have folding stocks, adjustable grips, more easily adjustable stocks, and better, more modern ways of attaching accessories. All those reasons were why I switched from the 6.5 Creedmoor TRG to the Tikka in 6.5, and based on the precision of the rifles even without the other factors, I have no regrets for that change.

thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2 | Location: Charlotte NC | Registered: January 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had experience with the new 5 round polymer Tikka mags? Does this work for 6.5 C??

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/...tended-5rd-magazine/

Posts: 1926 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Tikka magazines are confusing, and the answer to your question depends on which model Tikka.

The one you linked to is, as the listing states, usable with 6.5 Creedmoor, but only with the older T3 rifles and with some of the T3x rifles. That style of polymer magazine does not, however, work with the T3x TAC A1, CTR (“Compact Tactical Rifle”), Arctic, or UPR models. Those four models use a staggered column 10-round steel magazine. And FWIW, Sako TRG mags will also work in those models, but not vice versa. Except for the models that use the 10-round steel mag, I believe magazines for the T3 and T3x are the same.

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell

Posts: 44819 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post