SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOKYSig:
This would be used on the Tikka T3x TAC A1 20" barrel .308 WIN. purchased from EuroOptic.

Just now noticed your post. What‽ No range report after having had it for two months? Wink
What about the scope?

And as a separate issue about dry firing and snap caps. This is from the Tikka manual:

DRY FIRING/“DUMMY” ROUNDS
Dry firing is defined as firing a firearm with no ammunition in the chamber. Long term dry firing may damage the bolt.
“Snap caps” (chamber inserts that allow a firearm to be dry-fired without damaging the rifle) are available at most gun stores for those who wish to practice firing without live ammunition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir for this review! You cost me a few bucks (or I should say cost my lovely bride a few bucks as it was an anniversary present), but I’m quite happy about it. After twice ordering (two different vendors) a Tikka T3x CTR Stainless in 308 only to have it turn out that though the order was processed the rifle was already sold, I was beginning to wonder. Then after reading your review I ran across a TAC A1 in 308 in stock, spoke with a live person confirming stock, and ordered. UPS has confirmed that they intend to deliver to my FFL Wednesday, so I am optimistic. Life is good! Lots more to learn...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I ran across a TAC A1 in 308 in stock ....

Excellent. Smile

As coincidence would have it, I decided I wanted a fraternal twin to my 6.5 TAC and ordered one in 308 as well. In my very limited shooting thus far, primarily to get it zeroed, my groups with Hornady 155 grain TAP and Federal 175 grain Gold Medal Match are satisfying Tikka’s guarantee of sub-MOA groups with five shots. The last three rounds of the TAP I had available during the zeroing session were fired in a final group that measured 0.307" (0.293 MOA) center to center at 100 yards.
(Before anyone else says it, I fully realize that one group, especially of a minimum number of shots, doesn’t prove anything, but it was a nice wrap-up to the session.)

All the best with yours, and I will be interested to read your report(s).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,

My T3x TAC A1 experience mirrors yours. What a shooting machine! At about 500 rounds it just keeps getting better and better. Shooting a Nightforce ATACR 5 x 25 on mine and it's a match made in heaven...

Wes

Posts: 2424 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from another satisfied owner. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I love my T3x, also in 6.5 Creedmoor. Mostly shoot it at 600 yards and in, but I can take it it 1000 with no problem. At least when I can find ammo for it.

Posts: 31 | Location: TN | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
All the best with yours, and I will be interested to read your report(s).

Thank you!

It may take a bit for a report. It arrived and I inspected, did paperwork, and put it in jail last Wednesday. If the stars align, I may get to pick it up Saturday afternoon. I’m collecting bits and pieces in the meantime, but waiting to confirm the threading before ordering a brake.
Fun times!

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For those who don’t have one yet (notice from EuroOptic) Wink
“Tikka T3x TAC A1 .308 Win 24" Bbl 1:11" Coyote Brown Rifle JRTAT316L Now Available!”

https://www.eurooptic.com//Tik...ion&utm_medium=email

I had requested notice when the rifle came back in stock because I sort of would have liked to have one in brown finish. I also wanted one with a 20 inch barrel, though, and some tan gaffer tape takes care of the finish well enough.

And keep those reports coming. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nah, only $85, plus that’s the free one from Beretta for buying the T3x TAC model. Wink

Sadly, the free magazine deal ended at the end of February, but there are magazines available as reasonable as $64.99.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/ti...cmp-308-260-10r.html

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, the free magazine deal ended at the end of February ....

Yes, I just missed it, but I probably don't need any more anyway. Or do I? Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sadly, the free magazine deal ended at the end of February ....

Yes, I just missed it, but I probably don't need any more anyway. Or do I? Wink

I thought you always needed more magazines. Kinda like you always need more ammunition, unless your bunker is on fire. Wink

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New bit of information about operating the bolt with the safety engaged at the end of the first post in the thread.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
New bit of information about operating the bolt with the safety engaged at the end of the first post in the thread.

A neat feature that I enjoy on my Sako 85.

Definitely a reasonable alternative to the traditional 3 position Win 70/ Ruger 77/ Mauser M98 on the cocking piece.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Possibly of continuing interest.

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

That's a great review and I'm looking into this with interest.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, Sigfreund.

I was recently looking at a Tikka T3x TAC A1 and wanted to do some research before buying one. Wouldn't you know it... a long time trusted member has a helpful thread about this very model.
Gotta love this forum. Smile

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Sigfreund

Great thread. been lurking in the background while I try to decide between TRG and TAC.
Can you share your thoughts between the two ?

The TRG appears to have a heavier barrel...but obviously also means have to carry around the extra 3lbs.
have you had a chance to get them both hot to the point the groups starts to open up ? does the TRG hold up longer due to heavier barrel ?

Posts: 3 | Location: Charlotte NC | Registered: January 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I cannot give any good advice about which would be more accurate (precise) with heavy use because I (have) never exposed either to that sort of thing. I’ve fired up to 30 rounds or so at one session, but it was always slow fire.

Although my TRGs were excellent performers in my experience, I’m just happier with the features of the T3x TAC. The TRG is a pretty old design and Tikka did a good job (IMO) with the T3x TAC A1.

I wanted a 20 inch barrel for the 308 and that’s part of the reason I let the 26" TRG go even though I had an older T3 Tactical in 20". But in addition the Tikkas have folding stocks, adjustable grips, more easily adjustable stocks, and better, more modern ways of attaching accessories. All those reasons were why I switched from the 6.5 Creedmoor TRG to the Tikka in 6.5, and based on the precision of the rifles even without the other factors, I have no regrets for that change.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noobinacan:
have you had a chance to get them both hot to the point the groups starts to open up ? does the TRG hold up longer due to heavier barrel ?

Modern bolt action target rifles with quality free floated barrels are different animals than older non-free-floated rifles -- like AR15s and hunting rifles with skinny barrels. Target rifles generally have heavy enough barrel contours that the barrel's accuracy remains relatively stable during the heat up & cool down cycles.

I suspect that if sigfreund shoots his rifle rapidly enough that the accuracy goes noticeably south in a given shooting session, he will have caused immediate and irreparable damage to the barrel's throat. Even when the barrel cools down, its accuracy will have been compromised.

It is very unlikely that most people will shoot out a barrel in a given day, due to shooting a crap ton of ammo on that given day. More likely is that as one reaches the normal ballpark round count at which a given caliber goes south, the barrel's accuracy will subsequently and permanently deteriorate. Maybe quickly and noticeably, maybe more slowly and subtly.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post