SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
How do you guys carry ammo, mags, range finders, and other gear during matches? I see lots of you posting about packs, is that all you use?

My gear all goes into an Eberlestock X4 HiSpeed pack. LRF Binos are inside their case, in the pack. Kestrel is in a case w/PALs rigging secured inside the pack. Ammo is all in Lungpunch Rigging ammo binders. Some other small stuff is organized using ziploc bags. Bags (rear bags/barricade bags/etc - not the ziploc bags - those are all in the pack) are either attached to the rifle, or hanging on the pack from carribeaners.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Most matches I use a pack (Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Pack), which allows me to unload my gear and prep for each shooting station. I carry everything inside, except my larger rear bag is on the outside with a plastic carabiner. My tripod strapped on the side, and a velcro flap Admin Pouch strapped on the outer pocket which holds the tiny stuff like pens, pencils, allen wrench, ear plugs, lens wipes, etc. For those matches where you're runnin and gunnin, and on the clock even between the stations, I wear a 5.11 LBE (Load Bearing Equipment) Vest, and have all my gear, ammo, mags, LRF, etc. in Molle pouches. Zippered pouched for most things, velcro flap pockets for magazines. It works out well for me, and I don't have a pack swinging on my back when I'm running. It does take some getting used to when shooting from prone position with your gear being between you and the ground.

One suggestion, when searching for a pack, try them on fully loaded with about 20-lbs of weight. That will give you a good idea if it will be a good fit or not. Run or jog around with it a little, and see/feel how the the load carries.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
exx1976, congrats on the match win!

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:

Thanks!

And thank you to Jelrod and jlemmy as well, who also noted my recently improved shooting. Smile

I'm crediting it partially to taking that class with Jim See that was mostly about wind reading, and the other part to luck. Smile

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes! I should have posted that sooner. Must have made the drive home a bit easier.

Congrats!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

Yes! I should have posted that sooner. Must have made the drive home a bit easier.

Congrats!

RMD

Thank you sir!

The drive home from that match was one of the better ones, yes. Especially since it was only about 4.5 hours. Smile

I got one of these for my efforts (forgot to previously mention it) :
http://xsteeltargets.com/produ...-target-system-12x20

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Took the Armalite SASS rifle out today to get some time behind it at distance. It did pretty well out to 850 even with 175 match kings. Took a few shots, but even got a couple hits on the 1250 silhouette for fun. I'm liking it so far for a fun gun / hunter. That 308 sure kicks like a mule compared to those braked 6 and 6.5MMs I've been used to shooting. An APA LB brake is next for it for sure.

My buddy took along my old Manners/Atlas tactical gun in 6.5 creedmoor. I never warmed up to that stock and he liked so it became his. He mounted a Tangent Theta 5-25 on it and I got some quality time behind it too today. Great scope for sure. I really like the controls on it.

A look through the TT at the 1000, 1200, 1250, and 1520 targets.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jelrod1, how does the Tangent compare to your S&B?

I've FF 150rds on the re-chambered 6BR to Dasher 24" barrel so far you chambered for me. FF loads are shooting equal to the 6BR. Yesterday shot with 5 good friends. FF another 50rds (did some PRS training with those loads/speed drills..), started working up a load for the that barrel. At 100yds it's shooting extremely well!! Feeding perfect through our modified AICS mags. 3 shots/32.3 H4895/105 Hybrid jumped .010/CCI 450. I'll put that load on paper at 1000yds soon, see how it holds up, confirm the chrono numbers... little faster then what I expected.

I've posted this before. The 6BR is by far the most accurate caliber I've shot, so far this Dasher as well as the Dashers chambered around me show that same accuracy, silly easy to tune.....

Yet another target stand idea my buddy came up with. 2"x12" square tube, 9/16 hole drilled through the top, 1/2 rebar. Locks together well, rebar doesn't move, easy on/off....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I really liked the TT. Not had any time behind it in bad conditions to compare but in good conditions they look similar. The size of the elevation knob was a plus and I feel better spaced than the DT S&B. The click feel is similar. I'm quicker on the parallax knob with the S&B but more time behind the TT may would cure that. All in all I think I'd be completely comfortable behind it and don't think I'd be giving up anything. Probably gaining because of that elevation knob.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a Excel template for doing range cards ? A cyber monday sale has me back in a pc Big Grin

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Anyone have a Excel template for doing range cards ? A cyber monday sale has me back in a pc Big Grin

What is your primary use for the range cards?

I have two fairly similar cards templates bases in Excel:
- One is streamlined for hanging off my rifle scope. Yardage from 100 to 1300 (for 6.5 Creedmoor), elevation needs, wind holds for 5 and 10 mph. The numbers are based on a specific Density Altitude.
- The other is more detailed, which I keep in my rifle data book. Similar to the one above, but with more data for holds with movers, and velocity at various distances in Mach.

I developed both types from JBM data output. I just painted the grid-type output from JBM, copied, and pasted in Excel. I then play a bit with formatting in Excel to get my preferred fonts, grid lines, data organization, and color highlights. I might add that I spend a good portion of my work day in Excel, so I'm pretty comfy with the program.

Posts: 7998 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:

What is your primary use for the range cards?

I have two fairly similar cards templates bases in Excel:
- One is streamlined for hanging off my rifle scope. Yardage from 100 to 1300 (for 6.5 Creedmoor), elevation needs, wind holds for 5 and 10 mph. The numbers are based on a specific Density Altitude.
- The other is more detailed, which I keep in my rifle data book. Similar to the one above, but with more data for holds with movers, and velocity at various distances in Mach.

I developed both types from JBM data output. I just painted the grid-type output from JBM, copied, and pasted in Excel. I then play a bit with formatting in Excel to get my preferred fonts, grid lines, data organization, and color highlights. I might add that I spend a good portion of my work day in Excel, so I'm pretty comfy with the program.

Thanks Fritz, I wanted to do a data book sized and wrist strap size. Was going to print off the various DA's and just switch out as necessary. I have zero experience with Excel which is why I'm looking for templates. I can run the numbers in Ballistic AE and enter them in Excel.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can send you the two templates I have, then you can decide if they may work for you. Or give you some ideas.

Or you can always hit the <delete> key. Wink

Posts: 7998 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I can send you the two templates I have, then you can decide if they may work for you. Or give you some ideas.

Or you can always hit the <delete> key. Wink

Most appreciated !!

posted Hide Post
jlemmy -- you have mail. BTW the file with the bigger printout is sized for the larger of the Impact Data books. I believe that's same size as Storm Tactical, too.

Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted Hide Post
exx, any complaints thus far with your Razor cerakote job from CGC?

My turn in line has come up, and I was going to send him a new A5 for a camo finish, but there's a hang-up with it.

Contemplating sending in the Vortex instead. Would prefer he be able to cerakote black the turret markings as well, but can't imagine it's even that noticeable?

Coffee cup ambush

Posts: 4340 | Location: Somewhere North of Here | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Nope, no complaints. Cerakote is holding up very well. No chips, flakes, none of that. It's been beat up a bit from matches, but just scuffs. No scratches through it.

I agree, cerakoting the turret markings would be slick, but if he can do it, it's likely to be very expensive. You'd have to re-paint all the lines and numbers so you knew where your adjustments were!

I think it looks fine as-is, YMMV.

Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted Hide Post
Cool, thank you.

There was a guy on the hide that posted one for sale that has been cerakoted black by CGC. Finish almost looked a little gummy, but I'm sure it's just lighting. It had peeled a bit where the rings contact, but I'm assuming that has more to do with some improper torquing or whatever else by the user. (DTA mount)

He said that he can cerakote the turret markings, but can't fill them due to how shallow they are. (Only scopes he's been able to do it well with are S&B's)

Thanks again.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...k0kx7rk.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...dv6d3qs.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...cv7cxzi.jpg~original

Coffee cup ambush

Posts: 4340 | Location: Somewhere North of Here | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yup, looks like someone got overzealous with their screwdriver when tightening those rings.

The finish on mine is perfect. Branden does excellent work, I can't imagine he'd let one go out the door "gummy". He does excellent work, and I wouldn't hesitate to send anything else his way. So, I agree - probably just the lighting.

If he's not able to fill them, I'm not sure I'd want the turrets cerakoted them. I would think it'd be too difficult to read the markings.

If you do decide to have them covered, be sure to post a pic. I'm interested to see what that might look like.

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

I have been following this thread since it started and your signature gets me every time. I used to have that same thing printed out in my office at a job a few years ago Razz

congrats on the win. I am slowly compiling a list and the equipment to get into this type of shooting. If you have the time, would you mind me shooting you an email with a few questions?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post