SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not that any has shipped yet but I picked up some odds and ends HD ammo that I had been putting off buying.

The one area I am actually hurting is 6.8spc for my hunting AR, my own fault really...since I have been out of state this last year it has not been a priority.

Our local cabelas is allowing 50 people at a time in and only 10 people at the gun counter at a time.

Plenty of normal "hunting" ammo in stock but no 6.8spc or anything resembling HD ammo.

One surprise was the amount of 6.5 Grendel and Creedmore. Looks like a Creedmore upper is in my near future.

They also had Zastava 48 sporterized mausers for $300, might pick up a couple for future projects.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in my local Cabela's earlier this week, and the pistol ammo shelves were bare. I actually took a photo it was so funny to see. Literally the only pistol caliber ammo left were two boxes of 38 S&W and some 45 Colt cowboy loads.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I do not have a years worth of loaded ammo in any of my go to calibers except 223, I DO have a 2 year supply of reloading components. I do not see this being prolonged after the virus burns out like the multi year .22 shortage of the Obama years. As I shoot more .22 than all other calibers combined ( NRL22 steel challenge bullseye pistol and general plinking) I am relieved for now it looks like .22 has not taken a major hit (yet?)
I do have enough .22 to keep going for a while and if nothing else there is alway premium ammo like eley and lapua that even during the Obama years was always stil available without much of any price change.
My visits to various gunshops in my area over the last couple weeks ( which the governor in Arizona has deemed essential business) shows what many are reporting- very little handgun ammo of any kind and zero defensive loads in the typical rifle and pistol defense calibers

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small (one owner) LGS that I frequent, to just talk about life. He has been very low on guns and ammo for over 2 weeks. He said that most of his customers are 1st time gun buyers.
He said many are worried about looting and rioting and just want something at home to protect their families.
He resorted to buying ammo from folks who have more than plenty and are able to part with a case or 2 so he would have something to sell to customers who bought a gun for 1st time. The biggest sellers were 9mm. and 5.56/.223.I have been squirreling away since 2013. I have alot of different handgun calibers (over 15) but I also have plenty of ammo for all of them. I don't keep alot on hand of odd calibers like .38 SW but I have a box or 2. The calibers that I use alot I have a hard time counting...not enough toes and fingers.

Shame on any gun enthusiast of any kind if they get caught short now and owned guns during 2013.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shame on any gun enthusiast of any kind if they get caught short now and owned guns during 2013.

It’s called War Readiness Materiel (WRM) in the military for a reason, and is NOT to be touched except for that reason. Same concept for civilians on guns and ammo.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it may be shame on me if I pick up another caliber, particularly since CA doesn't allow online ammo purchasing anymore. As long as I stick with what I have though, I have plenty for this lifetime.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a decent stock of carry ammo in .357 sig. I have a new 12 ga shotgun on the way and found 500 rounds for it the other day that I ordered online and can pick up as the place is local and not a lot of folks know about it. Gun stores have been hit pretty hard around here but some can be found with a little effort. I think around here, the riots across the country have caused more of a run than the virus.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Well I was stupid enough to pick up an other caliber last month, but have been lucky enough to find some ammo here and there and now have a few hundred rounds.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was able to supplement my supply last week with 500 rounds of 124 grain HST and 500 rounds of 62 grain Gold Dot. Rational prices too.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So here we are again......Neck Deep with the water’s a rising....And LDD called this almost five tears ago - as we Are living it today...This thread made me re-prioritize my spending several years ago and as a result I am not panic-ing. I continue to look for deals, which are few and far but when I find one I try and take advantage of it....Thanks Again LDD for creating this post so long ago....Because of you, I am prepared this time around....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I think Im pretty well stocked up on ammo but I couldn't get on the range Saturday. Place I usually go was "members only" for the rest of the day as there were lots of people waiting (members have priority). The backup plan had an hour wait (no gurantee I'd get on before they closed) and the original Plan A is a state run range and has been closed since beginning of the year (long story closed first by the douchebag new local sheriff, then the Scamdemic...). Need to get there early and queue up this weekend or go during the week.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Parts are flying off the shelves but being replaced and sold again.
Nothing seems to be drying up like last time (except ammo and components).
Are there that many more manufacturers than in 2013? Are the forges supplying the blank receivers putting out more?
Other than a JP bolt carrier, I seem to see everything in stock, intermittently.

What gives?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Went to an LGS (my first time to this particular LGS as its not convenient to where I live during the workweek).

Loaded with good quality AR parts (Harris bipods, CMMG LPK, tons of Magpul stuff). Was pleasantly surprised. Was expecting ca 1980's Soviet store on "left shoes only" day...

Walked out w/ a new CZ 457 American in 22 LR and a few mags for it and some 22 LR. I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope I'll be putting on it...cant wait to get out and shoot it! Its a beautiful thing!

Some ammo, didnt buy anything besides a box of 100 CCI 22 LR for 15 cents per rd. Should have inquired as to stock of other calibers.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walked out w/ a new CZ 457 American in 22 LR and a few mags for it and some 22 LR. I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope I'll be putting on it...cant wait to get out and shoot it! Its a beautiful thing!

Lucky dog.....

I've been wanting a bolt action rimfire for a number of years now and just picked up the search again. This is the rifle I plan to get but the words 'sold out' are all I find.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
quote:

Lucky dog.....

I've been wanting a bolt action rimfire for a number of years now and just picked up the search again. This is the rifle I plan to get but the words 'sold out' are all I find.

Gunbroker has one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893424564

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ thanks, I can wait for more reasonable pricing. Plus I would rather buy local.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I grew up on the old Winchester Mod. 67 single shot. I now have two but may purchase another.

Winchester 67

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Was able to find some not horribly priced 22 subsonic at KosherSurplus... found them via Ammoseek...

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
LGS is selling .223 for $1.50 a round.. smoking crack they are.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Today's market is why when I ended up with 10k of 22lr that didn't meet my needs pistol wise, I decided to save it and use it for no competition rifle training. Unless I take a class somewhere where they are selling me the ammo, all my training this year is going to be in 22lr.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post