SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
They should change their name to reflect their business practices...

"Lower Than Dirt"

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Looks like Cheaper Than Dirt is already up to their old tricks. Roll Eyes

This is from 8:10am today: MAY THEY ROT IN HELL

I honestly think it's funny as hell.

There is no impending gun control.

There is no impending anything.

People who are stupid enough to buy a case of $175 9MM for $700 deserve to be parted with their money.

They are fucking FOOLS.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
They should change their name to reflect their business practices...

"Lower Than Dirt"
Or maybe "Cheap is for Fools" Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
True, but I seem to have developed a knack for bringing a new caliber on board at the worst possible times. Bought my first 9mm handgun in 2008 and bought my first 10mm handgun just a month ago

You’ve had it for a whole month and you don’t have ten cases laid in? What SGAmmo and Target Sports America don’t ship to Michigan? Smile

Well, the plan was to first shoot the gun to see how I liked it, before acquiring a boat-load of ammo for it. Then Wu Flu hit, our retirement account started taking hits, and now we are where we are.

I'm unconcerned. I've sufficient on-hand in my usual SD and range practice calibers. The 10mm was more "because I could" than anything else Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
If those are actual prices for Cheaper Than Dirt offerings this week, then shame on them.

Pre-crisis, three weeks ago, I bought 1000 rds Blazer Brass 115 grain 9mm from Natchez Shooter Supply (a company I would give a high rating to) for $.17 a round (including shipping).

Everyone's needs are different... but it makes sense to me to have about a year's worth of practice ammo on hand... and enough SD ammo on hand for a zombie-apocalypse last stand. "Hoarding" is a bad word right now, but its not "hoarding" if it done gradually and during times of plenty - then it is just prudent.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
True, but I seem to have developed a knack for bringing a new caliber on board at the worst possible times. Bought my first 9mm handgun in 2008 and bought my first 10mm handgun just a month ago

You’ve had it for a whole month and you don’t have ten cases laid in? What SGAmmo and Target Sports America don’t ship to Michigan? Smile

Well, the plan was to first shoot the gun to see how I liked it, before acquiring a boat-load of ammo for it. Then Wu Flu hit, our retirement account started taking hits, and now we are where we are.

I'm unconcerned. I've sufficient on-hand in my usual SD and range practice calibers. The 10mm was more "because I could" than anything else Smile

If it wasn’t obvious, my post was in jest. It took me some month to lay in 10k rounds of 10mm. Now 9mm & 45ACP, that’s a different story. Wink

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it wasn’t obvious, my post was in jest.

No worries. I'd figured that out Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Looks like Cheaper Than Dirt is already up to their old tricks. Roll Eyes

This is from 8:10am today: MAY THEY ROT IN HELL

Yes, that is from their website.

Their website is now down for "MAINTENANCE ". Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Funny enough, a couple friends of mine are now suddenly very anxious to become first time gun owners.

As much as I'd love to rib them about it, I'm going to try to be a resource and teach them how to be safe and how to enjoy recreational shooting as well as realize the advantages of responsible personal protection.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just happened to go to my nearest Cabela's today; no .223 to be seen, and the only 9mm I saw was CCI shotshells. Lots of 380 and 38 Spl in WWB for range use, but most handgun calibers in SD loads (even 40) were getting real thin. Buffalo Bore stuff in stock. 10mm fans, they had good stuff and bulk packs of SIG FMJ.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I advised a co-worker of mine to purchase a Sig P365 and a Remington 870 Police magnum trade-in last week from SOS. He got them at normal prices as well as 1000 rounds of 9mm from PSA and 00 buck reduced recoil.

He listened and got enough to last through the panic as a first time gun owner.

I personally dropped about $1k to top off my reloading stash this week. Bought an 8# jug of W-748, an 8# jug of IMR-4064, an 8# jug of IMR-4895, a 5# jug of RL-15 and a 4# can of H-Universal.

Also just picked up 200 175gr SMK's, 200 Berger 175gr OTM's and 200 Berger 175gr LR-Targets. That should sustain me through a year of shooting and customer rifle testing.

I've still got over 10,000 to maybe 15,000 primers between large rifle, large pistol and small pistol.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I just happened to go to my nearest Cabela's today; no .223 to be seen, and the only 9mm I saw was CCI shotshells. Lots of 380 and 38 Spl in WWB for range use, but most handgun calibers in SD loads (even 40) were getting real thin. Buffalo Bore stuff in stock. 10mm fans, they had good stuff and bulk packs of SIG FMJ.

Cabelas here in PA is closed until further notice.........so if you didnt get your guns n ammo yet---you're not going to

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Went by a local gunshop yesterday, was interested in a specific model of a Sig P365, but price on it was so much higher than the standard model he had in stock. I had planned on ordering one, but instead went home with the one I saw. Not a panic buy by any means, I have a couple of CCL, Then went on line to look at some defensive ammo and was surprised at how many places were out of stock.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkingrph:
... Then went on line to look at some defensive ammo and was surprised at how many places were out of stock.

See, I don't get this. Ok, zombie apocalypse: Sure. Takeover of the government by a hostile entity (*cough* Democrats *cough*): Sure. But a virus?!?! Have you ever tried to hit one of those suckers? Particularly while it's on the move?

posted Hide Post
Aim low.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, I don't get this. Ok, zombie apocalypse: Sure. Takeover of the government by a hostile entity (*cough* Democrats *cough*): Sure. But a virus?!?!

It's not about the virus, it is about the panic.

quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
...first time gun owners.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
...as a first time gun owner.

From what I hear, most of the folks standing in line to buy guns are first time owners. They're scared, uncertain, all because of the craziness happening now. I say BRAVO. WE have more gun owners now. Prepping has become part of the mainstream.

People are starting to realize that they themselves are responsible for their security.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, I don't get this. Ok, zombie apocalypse: Sure. Takeover of the government by a hostile entity (*cough* Democrats *cough*): Sure. But a virus?!?! Have you ever tried to hit one of those suckers? Particularly while it's on the move?

Load Purell into 12g shotgun shells.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:

Cabelas here in PA is closed until further notice.........so if you didnt get your guns n ammo yet---you're not going to

Got a few rounds of 44 and 357 Mag (not that I need any, tripping over 9mm as it is), headed out but did notice some of the S&W M&P models had none on display. Didn't get to look at Glock or others.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
See, I don't get this. Ok, zombie apocalypse: Sure. Takeover of the government by a hostile entity (*cough* Democrats *cough*): Sure. But a virus?!?!

It's not about the virus, it is about the panic.

You left out the part where I wrote "Have you ever tried to hit one of those suckers? Particularly while it's on the move?" That was kind of a clue that

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
One of my customers in Connectistan described how many local folks in his VERY well-to-do area came in wanting to buy guns getting QUITE upset to find out that they couldn't without a CCW. These are very liberal folks who were shocked to find out that they couldn't just do what the media proclaimed and buy a gun like a pack of Marlboros.

My dude just replied to their cries of "how will I protect my family" with "where the fuck were you when we voted on this shit"?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
One of my customers in Connectistan described how many local folks in his VERY well-to-do area came in wanting to buy guns getting QUITE upset to find out that they couldn't without a CCW. These are very liberal folks who were shocked to find out that they couldn't just do what the media proclaimed and buy a gun like a pack of Marlboros.

My dude just replied to their cries of "how will I protect my family" with "where the fuck were you when we voted on this shit"?

Wow, that is a really crappy situation! In the People's Republic of Kaliforniastan, anyone can walk in, pick out a gun from the ever shrinking okay to buy list, fill out a 4473, pay their money, and go home to wait for ten days to find out whether or not they can actually have the gun they bought.

The funny thing about a CCW in that context is that a CCW holder can walk into the gun store legally carrying up to three loaded handguns concealed on her person when she comes in to buy her next firearm, but she still has to wait ten days to come pick it up. Sigh...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post