SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about getting a 308
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about getting a 308 Login/Join 
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted
Deleted this caliber but now considering getting back into it. These are the 4 im looking at.
1. Sig AR tread 2. Tavor 7. 3. DSA Fal. 4. Spring Field Scout M1A1. Leaning towards the Tavor or the FAL. Ive heard good things about the Sig Tread model AR. Coolest handling is the Tavor but I don’t know anyone with real experience with them. This will just be a range rifle and I need some help deciding. However, the Tavor with a good optic would be a nice tight package I think. Anyone know if the Tavors hold up well?

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Kinda like a 223, a 308 is almost essential in the collection. I have the hunting rifles then a few semi’s, M1A, FN-FAL & others.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
A .308 battle rifle is calling out to me. I'm leaning towards a PTR 91 in the stock G3 clone version. But from your list, the AR-10 (modern) or the FAL (Cold War vintage) sound the best. I would want to try a bullpup before buying. And as a Garand owner, I see the M1A/M14 as redundant.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
The PTR-91 with the picatinny rail is probably the most affordable option. Plenty of affordable surplus magazines out there for them.

Probably the most accurate would be an AR-10 variant for a semi-auto.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to have a 308 but I ended up with a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I need a semi too, but this thing is a nice tank of a rifle. I bought my Marine son a SA M1A1 and that is in the house so technically I guess I have one-ish.

I think if I went 308 for real I would save my pennies and go SCAR.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ruger SFAR.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Check out the Ruger SFAR.

This is what I am going with.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked for a new .308, and I've got a few.
I chose the POF Rogue and it is super accurate, lightweight , and has the recoil of an AR-15!

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Socom 7.62 is a a blast to shoot.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 30PlusRetlaw
posted Hide Post
Build an AR-10. Buy good parts you like little by little and customized to your liking. Is fun to do and you can build different uppers for different situations.I build an AR10 using Aero Precision upper and lower and it came out great.

"What I would die for?
My faith, my family, my friends, my freedom and my flag" Tony Zinni

Posts: 3291 | Location: Some where close to some one | Registered: March 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Didn't you used to have a FAL? I'm no fan of the bullpups. I'm sure the Tavor works fine.

The Sig Tread seems like a good value.

For just shooting paper I like the M1A sights. Unless you want small groups, the scoped AR10 would be better.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The right arm of the free world.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
308 is a must. I recently took the plunge and built an AR10 with a builder set from Aeroprecision. Love it so far.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, a .308 is one of those common/standard calibers that everyone must have.

I'm not a bullpup fan, so the Tavor wouldn't float my boat.

I'm betting you already have an AR in 5.56, so you're familiar with the platform- Sig AR.

If not an AR platform, hard to beat an M-1A style! I have a Springfield standard that I love. Nice tight groups at 500yds. One of these days I'll even toss glass on it.

Ahh... The FAL- I don't own one, but have shot my friends. Another great battle rifle that's been proven. And far as DS Arms, I have nevertheless heard a bad thing about any of their products. They stand behind their stuff 100%!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Didn't you used to have a FAL? I'm no fan of the bullpups. I'm sure the Tavor works fine.

The Sig Tread seems like a good value.

For just shooting paper I like the M1A sights. Unless you want small groups, the scoped AR10 would be better.

Yes, and I had both a Para and 16 inch model both DSA’s. I like these but I do have a friend selling one. Wish I’d kept both.

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So....no SCAR?

Posts: 3036 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
While I have owned both the FAL and HK91. I found I shot the M1A best. Im going to focus on shooting all 4 over the next couple of months. Im leaning towards the Sig but I also have a friend who has a PSA AR 10 and loves it. Thanks for the comments

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My choice: https://www.dsarms.com/p-17476...enal-refinished.aspx

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have an Imbel inch pattern FAL and a M1A Scout Squad. The M1A is undeniably more accurate, and easier to mount optics. It also has a pretty good cool factor, and can be modified to be more accurate by following Benny6's recommendations, or having him work it over.

The FAL is a workhorse. Iron sights, reasonable accuracy. It's not much of a group shooter, but don't stand down range and wave your arms around, you will get hit. Cool factor is off the charts. I mean, what other gun can you drop a long sling on, put on a camo shirt and a beret, and be mistaken for a Nigerian border guard or old school merc?

I have not shot the 7.62 Tread, but have shot both the Ruger 716 and the Palmetto State AR .308 offering. Both are amazingly accurate and gentle to shoot. These rifles made me look good; and with my eyesight and 57 years on the clock, I am NOT an exceptional rifleman.

I have no experience with the Tavor, but it certainly wins the "Modern Cool" competition.

Good luck, and have fun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve found the HK/G3/PTR family to be pretty heavy compared to a AR-10. Also you have the no bolt hold open on last round and a clunkier mag exchange mechanics to deal with. I shot a lot of G3s with our German sister unit when I was stationed there. Back in the day we all wanted them for the greater firepower.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post