SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about getting a 308
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about getting a 308 Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
If I had an itch for a 308, I’d buy another 6.5 Creedmoor … softer shooting, inherently more accurate. Most all manufacturers are offering it in their line, except the he HK & FAL clones, but you could always have one built if you really want one of those designs. Not sure if Tavor or any bullpup offers a 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I'm a .308 guy. I fired most of them, but not the SCAR, so I'll reserve judgement there. Of all of them two stand out as winners. The FN/FAL and the M-14 have stood the test of time and continue to serve world wide. While they are "dated" and some think because of this they are no longer valid platforms. I would counter that is not the case, but that they are "PROVEN"!

Here are mine two favorites. Give the pick I would take the M-14 hands down and I do love my FAL.

The shown M-14 is a forged LRB action and all USGI parts build about six months ago. I really like it as a run and gun platform and as a general purpose rifle. While I have five M-14's this one gets used the most, lately...

My favorite FAL is this "shortie" with folding stock and optics. It's a real peach...

Either type would do you well.

Enjoy!

Wes

Posts: 2426 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the Zastava M77, it's a solid choice as well.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about this one as an excellent .308 battle rifle:

https://iwi.us/product/gar55/

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The SCAR 17 checks all the right boxes for me.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
The SCAR 17 checks all the right boxes for me.

Agreed. My SCAR 17 would be my go to 308 rifle.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only have one rifle in 308 and one rifle in 5.56, both are SCARs. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Posts: 644 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyingtime:
Deleted this caliber but now considering getting back into it.

An AR10 has the best accuracy potential of this type of rifle. The Sig Tread may not be the most accurate AR10 out there, but it should still shoot circles around your other options. And the options presented by others in this thread.

For a range rifle, I don't see any advantage of a 308. As kimberkid noted, there is less recoil and greater accuracy potential with a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR17 with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 3 1X10 Scope and a SOCOM RC2 Suppressor.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PTR and an AR-10 clone. They are both pretty heavy when compared to an M4 obviously but I would give the edge to the PTR just because it will feed anything. Its about 2 pounds lighter than my AR 10. AR 10 is more of a bench or field precision rifle.

I dont have much experience with a SCAR H but the SCAR L is a nice platform. I have heard the SCAR H can really abuse your glass. Does anyone have experience with this?

Posts: 585 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ I had a Leupold Mark 4 on mine for several years without any problems. Recently switched it out for a PA SLX Microprism that I like a lot better. I think that the "scope killer" aspect applies to cheaper optics and mounts. While there is a harmonic effect on the rifle, quality optics and the right mounts make it a nonissue.

I added a Sandman suppressor awhile back and it's my favorite rifle.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
the right mounts make it a nonissue.

What would be the right mounts?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bordeth, no issues with my Vortex scope on my SCAR Heavy.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
the right mounts make it a nonissue.

What would be the right mounts?

To be honest, it's been some time since I was researching it. Some do better at reducing/eliminating the harmonic produced by the rifle. I put an American Defense Manufacturing one on mine and had no problems at all.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have the American Defense mount on my SCAR 17 and have never had a issue with the Swarovski Z8i - 2.3-18x56 optic.
I have always been impressed with the out of box accuracy the SCAR 17 delivers for a battle rifle with a short 16" barrel.
At the club I belong to I can shoot out to 600 yards, the SCAR and the 308 cartridge has little problems being useful out to that range.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like all the ADM mounts are one piece, so I would think that might help with some possible issues.

I don't have or expect to own a SCAR, but I like to keep up with things like this when possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larue has their AR-10 uppers and lowers available again. They will sell you a 6.5 barrell to go with the .308 upper.

The Ar-10 has been around a long time and in the SR-25 garb has been proven as well.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield M1A (standard) it does everything I want in a 308. I have the fiberglass stock vs walnut so it’s a little lighter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If it fits your budget I would choose the SCAR. It's a whole lot of .308 firepower in a compact, lightweight, accurate, and smooth shooting package.

It appears like the scope issues are largely in the past. The quality name brands seems to have figured it out since the SCAR has been widely used for over a decade now. I've never had one eat any of my optics from Trijicon, Nightforce, Aimpoint, or Vortex.

I think the Reptilia AUS mounts are currently the best fit for the SCAR. They are light at only 5.6oz, very rigid with the raised center I-beam, clamp tightly to the rail without shifting around, and are very low profile so they don't interfere with the charging handle.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
My SCAR is also in the hard to find black color.

I changed the stock trigger to a Geissele and that was a great improvement.