SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about getting a 308
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about getting a 308 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
And now back to our regularly scheduled program

quote:
Originally posted by Dyingtime:
We’ll finally bought a 716 tread.
Since i have only AR’s I thought it best to keep with a similar platform

Sound reasoning.
Have you shot it yet?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I have virtually identical 6.5 CM and 308 Win rifles. The 6.5CM's recoil is noticeably less. It's easier to keep 6.5CM sights on target, to spot my own impacts, and to spot my own trace. Coupled with the 6.5CM's superior flight ballistics, this is why 308 Win cannot compete against 6.5CM on the range.

Are there muzzle brakes that reduce .308
muzzle movement enough to keep sights on target, spot own impacts, and spot own traces?

( ummm, maybe that should be a separate thread, if there's not one already?)

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
There's been several tests of different .30 cal brakes. Doubtful any will allow zero movement to be able to keep sights on target.
https://precisionrifleblog.com...-field-test-results/
https://www.thetruthaboutguns....8-muzzle-brake-test/

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:]
<snip>
Are there muzzle brakes that reduce .308
muzzle movement enough to keep sights on target, spot own impacts, and spot own traces?

( ummm, maybe that should be a separate thread, if there's not one already?)

JP Enterprise also has a line of effective brakes. I bought a 223 and a 308 their original Recoil Eliminators probably 25 years ago. The all the shooter notices is the greatly reduced recoil however anyone next to you experiences a huge concussion wave. I quit using it when anyone else was around when the concussion blew the hat off a guys head that was sitting next to me.
Besides being very effective, it’s also big (2.5” wide IIRC) and even with the beautiful fit & finish, it’s kinda ugly.

https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPRE-2S

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If OP is still considering a Tavor 7 in the future, I wanted to chime in and offer my two cents.

I've owned different 308 platforms over the years and actually got to shoot a bit more before ammo and components costs got out of hand.

The Tavor 7 is one of the better off the shelf 308 platforms in terms of size efficiency. Buttstock to muzzle, it is not much longer than an X95, albeit a bit thicker and heavier. With a TA-11 ACOG mounted, you are looking at around 10ish lbs with a loaded mag. The SCAR17s is lighter but the center of gravity on the Tavor 7 sits close to the shoulder. You could theoretically fire it one handed if you needed to.

If your expectations for accuracy and philosophy of use are realistic, the Tavor 7 shoots relatively well for a non-free floated piston design. 2-3 MOA with decent ammo is around what you can expect with good ammo. The best I have done is just over 1.5 MOA 5 shots with Federal Gold Medal SMKHP 168 gr at 100 from a lead sled. It won't hold groups that size when you increase group size to 10 shots.

I have a 2009 Scar17s (one of the early ones) that will do around MOA with the same ammo. The Tavor 7, though has a well thought out adjustable gas system. It has less recoil and is more pleasant to shoot than the SCAR17s.

AR10s are so modular and can be set up with adjustable gas blocks and heavy buffers to help reduce the carrier velocity down some of using a can. It's hard to go wrong with one at this juncture.

Posts: 713 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered a new short action - originally thinking to build another 308 but decided to make it into 6.5 Creedmore. Frown
With much trepidation regarding having to ramp up for the cartridge I nevertheless look forward to the new experience.
So there is that., Fritz. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I looked for a new .308, and I've got a few.
I chose the POF Rogue and it is super accurate, lightweight , and has the recoil of an AR-15!

That wold also be my first choice for the reasons stated.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Ruger SFAR and an eotech vudu 1-10. Just need time to go shoot it.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that you can get a POF for significantly under MSRP, which brings it into my consideration.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So how much for a POF?

Curious, how did POF come out after the owner died in a car crash? Family carry on the company? Just curious. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
$2,200
https://battlehawkarmory.com/p...bms-minimalist-stock

More than I would like to pay, but it’s not SCAR expensive. Not sure how the company turned out, but I’ve seen enough problem SFARs online that I don’t think I would consider one. The worst being the bore scope images posted on snipershide.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post