SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, this was fun and, I admit - harder / more humbling than I’d anticipated haha. Virtually all of my shooting / practice / training over the last two-plus years has been shot against the fabled “IDPA-tan” targets or the big bowling-pin shaped paper targets vs. shooting specifically for the X, and I think I let that work on the mind a bit much. That...or, I just need more practice just like this! Methinks the latter....or both! Smile

I shot at least 50 rounds in 5-shot increments before declaring this as my “for the record” target and stopped to record for posterity. I had worked on an IDPA target as a warm-up then started taping fresh B-8s for each five-round string. I didn’t have a timer but basically fired at what I’d guess would be one round per second.

How’s this for another slice of humble pie - how the heck does one score these? Ha!

Gun was a Springfield Armory Professional 1911 in .45 ACP, the concealed-carry gun I’ve been wearing since heat and humidity levels started rising in my neck of the woods. I worked from concealment (untucked golf shirt worn over an undershirt) using the Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster shown and a Sparks S4C magazine pouch (not that the latter really mattered for purposes of this exercise; I loaded only 5 rounds each to my magazines for this match).

I hope we can do more of these in the future!

Edited to add: below was my first B8 of the session, and my third was almost identical. I potentially should have stopped and declared one of those as “it” LOL! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, and that is definitely one nice carry gun Smile! Glad you enjoyed it...that's my primary goal with this...have fun and shoot stuff Big Grin!

One more day and we'll close this one out and then somebody's gotta pick the next one.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Nice shooting, and that is definitely one nice carry gun Smile! Glad you enjoyed it...that's my primary goal with this...have fun and shoot stuff Big Grin!

One more day and we'll close this one out and then somebody's gotta pick the next one.

How about same course of fire, but using your must untrustworthy, jammomatic centerfire that you never got around to fixing or selling? Maybe a time limit, 30 minutes to get off five shots. Big Grin

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about same course of fire, but using your must untrustworthy, jammomatic centerfire that you never got around to fixing or selling? Maybe a time limit, 30 minutes to get off five shots.

Interesting idea, and a good way to get stuff out of the back of the safe and out to the range if you've got it...but anything like that I either fixed or got rid of long ago. Even then, I don't think I've ever owned anything so bad that it couldn't get through 5 rounds! Big Grin

I do like the idea of giving some love to rarely-used guns, though...and if we used the same target and course of fire, it would be an interesting comparison to performance with our carry guns....

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting everybody! It sounded simple but proved to be a bit more challenging than anticipated.

For this next round, I like RichardC's idea. Same target ( https://targets4free.com/nra-b8-target/), same course of fire (5 rounds at 7 yards), but this time, instead of your carry gun, go dig that gun out of the back of your safe that you never shoot, and give it a go with that. Instead of the gun you carry every day, this time we're looking for your least-used centerfire handgun. Should be an interesting comparison, and a good test of fundamental marksmanship!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Woo-hoo - I’m in again! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm off today, so I went out this morning and shot. It's 90 degrees, muggy, and the mosquitoes were eating me alive. I can't wait for winter.

My least-used handgun actually isn't mine, but it's lived in my safe for the past 10 years. You could say I'm "fostering" it. It's a 1943 Remington Rand 1911A1 that my department issued to me back in 2011. They got them a long time ago through the DRMO with the idea that we'd use them as backups...but the platform doesn't lend itself well to that role, and these things won't reliably feed hollowpoints, so most guys never bothered to qualify on one. I, of course, couldn't pass up the opportunity. I've never used it for work, and someday I'll have to give it back, but for now it's fun to take out every now and then and shoot...usually alongside a Garand.

It's pretty loose as far as 1911s go, the sights suck, the trigger is horrible, and it has a nasty tendency to hammer bite. It's not a nice gun....but it's a cool piece of history.

I went back and forth about whether or not to just shoot the match cold, as warmup cost me last week, but I ultimately decided I needed some practice on this thing, so I designated #4 as the match target. I'm glad I did. It started out pretty rough, but the #4 pre-designated match target yielded this (1 10 and 4X):

I did get bit a little, though. That gun is an ungrateful, spiteful little bugger.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Love it - nicely-done!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Late for the cutoff, but I finally got around to it today. Last round choke:

P320 Carry, 357 SIG.

Target is what I had on hand, B-6.
I think the B-6 has the same size rings as the B-8 but the black extends to the 8 ring: 8-ring is 8", the 10 ring ~3 5/16, the X ring ~1 11/16"

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Late for the cutoff, but I finally got around to it today. Last round choke:

P320 Carry, 357 SIG.

Target is what I had on hand, B-6.
I think the B-6 has the same size rings as the B-8 but the black extends to the 8 ring: 8-ring is 8", the 10 ring ~3 5/16, the X ring ~1 11/16"

Ha!

My choke(s) were bigger than your chokes.
( Excellent shooting, sigfreund!)

So far I'm the only competitor to shoot less than all tens. Big Grin

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Sigfreund, I think you got us all beat with that one! Now go do it again with an old neglected gun Big Grin.

Keep 'em coming, guys, I'm enjoying seeing everybody's targets, choice of hardware, and the range stories!

quote:
So far I'm the only competitor to shoot less than all tens. Big Grin

Don't worry, history has clearly shown my ability to drop them into the 8 or 7 ring...my day will come! Big Grin

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Indeed, sigfreund, well-done!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now go do it again with an old neglected gun Big Grin.

Well, all right, then. Smile

All shots fired double action only, 7+ yards.
The target design makes a big difference in reducing aiming errors. These V targets are what I prefer for handguns with iron sights. They make it much easier to get consistent sight pictures. The scoring circles are the same size as those of the B-6 and B-8 targets.
This does not, though, meet the requirement for the second round of the match. I will try to get out for a session with the proper target.

S&W model 686, 4" barrel (38 Special 148 grain wadcutters), pictured is the second group; first group fired to check zero. Last fired several years ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yikes, is the second match over with?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Yikes, is the second match over with?

Nope, you've still got a week and a day.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OH, good. I have a history of showing up for Saturday matches on Sunday and vice versa. Frown

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
OH, good. I have a history of showing up for Saturday matches on Sunday and vice versa. Frown

I've been known to have similar problems, lol. Working nights on a bi-weekly rotating schedule, it's hard to keep track of what day of the week it is!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's not easy, running a postal match online.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2760068254/p/1

Keep yer chin up, 92fstech.
It's all about having fun.

I'm dedicated to getting my entry for the second match in this weekend. Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard. No worries here. I'm not trying to prove anything, conduct any scientific comparisons, or even do any meaningful "training" with this. Those all have their place, but this is just an excuse to get out to the range, shoot some guns, and have a good time. Sure I could just do that on my own, but it's more fun to do it with a few online "invisible" friends and see what they're shooting, tell some stories, and compare results.

I'm working all weekend, and then picking up an extra shift for a co-worker Monday, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get on here over the next few days, but I'm looking forward to seeing your target!