SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I like to shoot. Unfortunately, with my rotating work schedule, it's hard to stay involved in any local matches. I know with the stupidity over the past year, and the ammo situation, it's been tough for others to get out and shoot as well. I thought it might be fun if we did our own remote match here on Sigforum...just some simple, friendly competition to get us out to the range and shooting on a somewhat regular basis.

I'd like to keep it simple and practical. Low round counts to be sensitive to people's ammo budgets, and readily available targets that are printable off the internet so we can all shoot the same one. Types of guns can be limited (for example: carry guns, military rifles, bolt-actions, snubbies, rimfires, pocket guns etc.), but let's try to keep the categories pretty broad so that most can participate. If you don't have a gun that fits into the category of the match, go ahead and shoot something you do have that's close...this is all just for fun.

I don't care how many times you want to practice shooting the course, but for the sake of the competition, designate your "match target" before you shoot it and post your honest results (IE don't shoot 5 targets and then just post your best one...pick the one you're going to post and then shoot it). This whole thing is on the honor system, so be honest!

I propose we let each "match" run for 2 weeks to give people time to get to the range and post their targets, and then we score the entries. Winner gets bragging rights and gets to pick the course of fire for the next 2 weeks.

I'll start to kick things off. We'll keep it simple: Using your actual carry gun, whatever that might be, fire five rounds at an NRA B8 center (Printable version available here: https://targets4free.com/nra-b8-target/) from 7 yards.

When finished, score your target (if the grease ring breaks the line, points are awarded at the higher value), post a picture of your target, and say what you shot it with. Pics of the gun you used are also welcome, but not required.

If we have interest and get some participants, on the 24th we'll tally up the scores and the winner can pick the target and course of fire for the next match. Be safe and have fun!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
One handed or two handed?

Choice of printable targets: suggest black only, not everyone has color printer.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actual carry guns. This should be a balance between acceptable accuracy and speed not a slow fire bullseye contest?
Draw from concealment if able, two hand, time limit of 3.50? should not be too hard Big Grin
If unable to draw, start low ready, add .5 seconds to time.

Time divided by B8 score?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Two handed, but you can shoot it one handed if you want. I don't care about the color target...they're both the same size. Feel free to use whichever one you want. As far as speed goes, I get where you're coming from and I agree, but some folks don't have access to range facilities that allow "rapid fire" or drawing from the holster, and I'm trying to keep this as accessible as possible....so at least for now on this first go around, no time limit. We can adapt that for future courses based on feedback from the group.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
some folks don't have access to range facilities that allow "rapid fire" or drawing from the holster
Unless I'm missing something, there is no indoor range around here that will allow shooting faster than one round per second, and none that allow drawing from the holster, or even starting at low ready. The indoor ranges around here generally want you to pick the handgun up from the shelf in front of you, and fire at a very deliberate pace.

Some, but not all, of the outdoor facilities allow this type of shooting, but they are mostly private membership clubs.

Based on that, there are probably a good percentage of our folks who would not be able to participate in a timed event, nor in any match that involved drawing from the holster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Based on that, there are probably a good percentage of our folks who would not be able to participate in a timed event, nor in any match that involved drawing from the holster.

Yeah, there’s nowhere near me where I can do such things. While it sounds like oodles of fun, things like drawing from the holster and time limits that require rapid fire means far fewer participants.

Hey offgrid, how about you do that and we’ll award you extra credit? Big Grin

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Hey offgrid, how about you do that and we’ll award you extra credit? Big Grin

OK! Do I get to pick the next match then? Big Grin

I'm very fortunate to have access to a private outdoor range, our land and friends land. Private outdoor range 15 minutes away can shoot 270 degrees on one of the bays, set up stuff, shoot around my vehicle.... Shot there today.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK! Do I get to pick the next match then?

If you win Big Grin!

I'm fortunate that my club doesn't really have many restrictions beyond what is reasonable for safety. I'd be all kinds of frustrated if they wouldn't let me draw or shoot fast. I suppose the public places have to make those rules because of the mag dump types, but unfortunately it negatively impacts lots of responsible shooters who want to train on practical skills.

I was going to try and get out and shoot the course today before work, but when I woke up my wife told me the roof was leaking, so I had to deal with that. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow to shoot it and post it up.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
After all, tomorrow is another day!

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well here's my target. I'm kinda wishing I'd opted for something with tighter rings to make scoring easier (that 10-ring is BIG), but we can use X-Count.

Not my best group, but it is what it is. 50 points with 3X, shot with my P245. The door is definitely open, guys...let's see some targets!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's my entry: Sig P239 357 Sig, indoor range, firing single action:

Decent practice rounds:

Here's my match target; I choked under match pressure Big Grin :
Two x's, one ten, two nines. (Improved cylinder pattern.)

And just to see if it really was match pressure, I fired a subsequent target:

Excuses: There was a short barrel AR to my left and a .500 S&W Magnum even closer to my left. The sun was in my eyes. Tropical Storm Fred was off the left coast. Haiti had a 7.2 earthquake (God rest their souls).

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! Another DA/SA single-stack P-Series. I like it!

I too did the warmup thing...shot two targets and committed to the third as my match target. The first practice target was the best...I should have just shot it cold out of the gate. The second was the worst, and #3 (which you see above) ended up between the two.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
This is a great idea, methinks. I’m going to participate once I get a printer glitch resolved haha...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Fix that printer and get to shooting Big Grin! The more shooters we get, the more fun this should be. If you can't fix the printer, and have access to some other form of B8 target, go ahead and shoot that...it should theoretically be the same size.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, indeed, you make a good point - I may be able to order some dang targets quicker than I can un-discombobulate the printer haha!

The indoor range I’m a member of does allow drawing from the holster on the line (only with range officer approval / annual “certification,” such as it is), so I’m looking forward to putting ye olde skills to the test!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
I'm not picking the next one!

5 draws from concealment, JM AIWB holster, t-shirt. About as good as I can shoot. Timer is the last shot.

Glock 45/SRO
Precision Delta 124JHP/WSF

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's not bad shooting at all, especially from the holster under time! It's kind of hard to tell from your pic...3 10s and 2X? Or is it 3X?

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, my targets have arrived, and I’ll be seeking range-time ahead of the end of the two-week run on this match - more to come!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Excellent, looking forward to seeing your entry and what you're shooting it with...you always post nice gear!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
That's not bad shooting at all, especially from the holster under time! It's kind of hard to tell from your pic...3 10s and 2X? Or is it 3X?

2X