SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got my 17 round magazines from R&R today. Fast shipping pleases me.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
For a full aluminum lower frame (no polymer) that is actually a damn good deal at $900.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Please keep us informed on you dealings with Sphinx.
I have a Sub Compact that I have yet to fire and hesitate to do so
because I anticipate slide release problems and kind of holding off
to see if there is going to be a recall or a part swap....seems I have read several comments
mentioning slide release related issues...on mine, it don't matter how hard I push with both
thumbs and my tongue stuck out...it ain't budging! Razz

Posts: 952 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
I have had a sub for about 2 months, must have 1k through it with no issues... Just like the compacts.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hardway:
Please keep us informed on you dealings with Sphinx.
I have a Sub Compact that I have yet to fire and hesitate to do so
because I anticipate slide release problems and kind of holding off
to see if there is going to be a recall or a part swap....seems I have read several comments
mentioning slide release related issues...on mine, it don't matter how hard I push with both
thumbs and my tongue stuck out...it ain't bubging! Razz

That's how mine was in the beginning, stiff. Some shooting and it loosened right up. Go fire that thing.

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Roger

Posts: 952 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVsigP228:
Well Sphinx has my Subcompact, which arrived on 6/16 and got a confirmation email today. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and a quick turnaround.

If people are interested there seems to be some new custom colors out there for the Compact with the alloy lower for pretty good prices.

Burnt Bronze Sphinx Compact on GB right now for $849. There are also a few in a finish they are calling "Wolf" which looks like a dull gray going for $899.

I personally like the Wolf better than the Burnt Bronze but I like the Black even better. Wolf looks a lot like Robars NP3. Sort of wish I would have gotten the alloy Black lower but it was almost $150 more. At the time I could not put my hands on a Alloy Black so I pulled the trigger on a Alpha which I love.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=489598709

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=489779866

Those aren't full alloy frames....they are polymer. Easy to tell by the front strap area. I'm not even sure if that finish was done before it left KRISS. Could have been done by the dealer.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I've been following the Sphinx threads as well. I've wanted a Sphinx since the 90's and now that Sphinx came out with the Subcompact without a rail I decided I had to have one. I had to sell my P938 to make it happen. I'm sure it'll take 3-7 days to arrive at the dealer. It's going to be a long wait. I already have a couple of spare mags to start with. Now begins the hunt for some kydex holsters.

I ordered a Stealthgear Onyx for my subcompact and should have it pretty soon. They stated 3 weeks and I'm approaching that now. That's the best one I've found for the subcompact so far and I like the design, material, etc. I'm anxious to try it and compare it to my #1, the VMII. I'd rather have a Bladetech Klipt but Bladetech only makes those for the most popular and common models.

Me too. I would prefer the Klipt but they just don't make it. Have you handled the holster from Haley, I think it's GCode or something like that? I'll have to go back and check to make sure it's offered for the Sub and not just the compact.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those aren't full alloy frames....they are polymer. Easy to tell by the front strap area. I'm not even sure if that finish was done before it left KRISS. Could have been done by the dealer.

I see what you are saying they maybe polymer lowers but they are definitely factory finishes because they are being sold by multiple vendors. If you poke around they are at multiple shops. Doubt multiple shops are refinishing NIB in the same colors using the same naming convention.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I see what you are saying they maybe polymer lowers but they are definitely factory finishes because they are being sold by multiple vendors. If you poke around they are at multiple shops. Doubt multiple shops are refinishing NIB in the same colors using the same naming convention.

Could be a distributor doing it. I could be wrong but I don't see Sphinx doing that at this time. Should be easy to find out.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Word I just got was the bronze is a limited distributor run, but the gray was done for the top Sphinx dealers. That came from one of the top Sphinx dealers I've personally dealt with. Definitely worth picking up if you can as there aren't many. Oh....they are indeed Alpha series polymer lower guns. Thanks for the heads up.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
The 200 rounds of Federal HST 147 +P I purchased online on Sunday arrived today (Wednesday). I purchased these with the sole intent of seeing if I change from my P239 SAS Gen 2, to my Sphinx Subcompact as my carry pistol.

I ran a bunch of different JHP since receiving my pistol back from Sphinx after a fix, and these rounds ran great, but just not enough of them to give me the confidence I need.

I'll run 125 or 150 more tomorrow, and if all is right, I'll have a new carry pistol.

I guess I could have waited to post until after my testing, but chose to build the anticipation here as well as my own.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
The 200 rounds of Federal HST 147 +P I purchased online on Sunday arrived today (Wednesday). I purchased these with the sole intent of seeing if I change from my P239 SAS Gen 2, to my Sphinx Subcompact as my carry pistol.

I ran a bunch of different JHP since receiving my pistol back from Sphinx after a fix, and these rounds ran great, but just not enough of them to give me the confidence I need.

I'll run 125 or 150 more tomorrow, and if all is right, I'll have a new carry pistol.

I guess I could have waited to post until after my testing, but chose to build the anticipation here as well as my own.

MP

Good luck. Sphinx has my Subcompact right now and I am hopping to get it back soon so I can put it through its paces and start to carry it as well.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got my Sphinx Sub Compact out to the range using my 147gr Roze HP, with titegroup powder and federal primers, this is my target load. I fired 310 rounds since the more I pulled the trigger, the more I was impressed. My first concern when I first got the Sub Compactand dry fired was the DA pull, a little long with some stacking. Also, the slide release took a two fisted grip to release the slide. Ergonomics were good but not as uniquie as a PPQ or P30/HK45. After the first two mags, I was extremely pleased with the groupings. As I continued to shoot, the gun became more pleasant to shoot, even doing many rapid double taps. I always sling shot the slide and now am convinced this is the only real way to release the slide. Only using Sphinx mags, I had "Zero" problems feeding or ejecting. Many people may want to use CZ mags but right now I will stay with what really works. (side note, I already picked up 5 17 round mags for a future SDP Standard). Tonight after I cleaned the Sub Compact, lubed and re-assembled, I was suprised how the SA trigger had improved while dry firing, its short trigger reset and SA pull is remarkable for a $850.00 pistol. The DA was noticably smoother while dry firing tonight. The only thing I would change is the front sight to a red fiber optic. I really feel the HK USP Tactical and Experts are fantastic out of the box so it really suprised me that the Sphinx Sub Compact is equally fantastic out of the box. My PM9 replaced my G26 and now thw Sphinx will easily replace a G19. My personal best 4" 9mm is the Walther PPQ and nothing beats the HK 9mm Expert. BUT, If the Sphinx Standard and Production models ever get state side, things will change.
Chris

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It appears that the front end of the recoil spring guide rod has a screw slot. Would someone please explain its purpose?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
Word I just got was the bronze is a limited distributor run, but the gray was done for the top Sphinx dealers. That came from one of the top Sphinx dealers I've personally dealt with. Definitely worth picking up if you can as there aren't many. Oh....they are indeed Alpha series polymer lower guns. Thanks for the heads up.

So these are applied/sprayed finishes on the lowers rather than color pigmented plastic before the injection process?

That would be the conclusion I come to based on the information given. Probably just like the Cerakote finishes offered. Not sure what the finish is though. You can call Sphinx / KRISS and inquire though.

Picture of Alnamvet68
posted Hide Post
Is there anything the Swiss don't do right...look at the Swiss Army Knives, 35 million sold each year, and each and every one of them a perfectly assembled and utilitarian gem.

I Don't Abide by Professional Throne Sniffers, Toilet Slaves, or Obsequious Servile Sycophants

Posts: 705 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest report on my Sphinx sup if you have not seen this on one of the forums that I have posted.
Test on 06/02/15
Out to the range today to test this gun with carry ammo. I shot 100 rounds on the first trip on this trip I fired fifty rounds Winchester and fifty of Perfecta FMJ ammo, all worked no hang ups. Loaded one mag with Speer Gold Dot 147 Gr. GDHP. Installed the mag pressed the slide release and the slide did not close all the way it was open about 1/8". I was unable to open or close the slide. I had a shoulder replacement had to get the range owner to pull the slide back for me. Did not use this ammo until I find out if it will work in this gun. At home I cleaned the gun and looked for other ammo I had to see if It was going to do the same thing. I found a box of Federal 124Gr. Hydra-Shok loaded the mag the same as before the round loaded and the slide closed all the way this time but I was unable to pull the slide back to unload the round. I had to press on the ejector to release the round hold the slide back and use a cleaning rod to push the round out of the barrel.
I then got one round of range ammo and it worked in the gun the slide closed and I was able to pull it back to remove the round.
06/04/15
Received an e-mail today for returning my gun to Sphinx. They will send me an RMA to send it in. Before I send it I will do one more test at the range.
This is what I did today.
Took the gun apart took the barrel out and tried three different brands of ammo in the chamber. The first one I used was Perfecta 115 grs FMJ, this ammo works in this gun I put over 100 rounds thru it. It goes in the chamber and comes out easy. The second one I put in Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok this round went in but not as deep as the first I pressed on the round and it got stuck in the chamber had to push it out with a cleaning rod. This was the round that I had trouble with releasing the slide to chamber it and was unable to pull the slide back. The last one Is a box of Hornady Critical defense115gr. FTX I bought today, this went in like the Perfecta at the right dept. and did no stick in the chamber. Will get to the range to see if this works. If it does work I will not have to send this gun in, I will just have to use the brands that it likes.

Ammo that chambers.......
Perfecta115gr. FMJ
TulAmmo Brass Max115 gr.FMJ
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX
Winchester FMJ 115gr

Ammo that does not chamber.......
Speer Gold Dot147 gr. GDHP
Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok
Magtech 92.6 gr. SCHP
Pow"RBall +P 100gr
06/11/15
Here is the test I have done. If you take any 9mm barrel and stand it on end drop a 9mm round that works in the barrel check how deep the round goes in then take other brands that you have and see if they go in the same. All the different brands that I have only five right now go in the right depth on the Sphinx barrel. Four others do not they sit higher from 1/8" to 1/16 &1/32". I also did a check on a VP9 barrel the rounds of all the brands I have on this 9mm gun barrel all went in the same depth. The Sphinx works great with the ones that chamber right now. The trouble is if you load a mag release the slide the round (Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr) is in the chamber loaded and you want to unload this round I am unable to pull back the slide to eject the loaded round it is stuck in the chamber. If you load Speer Gold dot 147gr release the slide on this round the slide stays open 1/8" and you are stuck with this round were you can't open or close the slide.
06/12/15
The Sphinx went back to Kriss today FedEx express. This was another story to ship it out. I sent them an e-mail that the gun was packed in a UPS express box ready to go. They then go and send me a label for FedEx ground. Could not use the UPS box :-( . Went to UPS depot to see if I could send it myself. No way they wanted to see the return RMA papers that were sent to me by KRISS and it could only go by (all handguns) one day Air express for the low ball price of $89.00 :-(. So now we have to deal with FedEx. Called FedEx and was told that all handguns could be shipped by FedEx express only not ground. I was lucky that I know the guy at FedEx he gave be a FedEx 3 day express box and he said we can still use the ground label to ship the gun express at the same price as the ground :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
It appears that the front end of the recoil spring guide rod has a screw slot. Would someone please explain its purpose?

KRISS USA Inc.
Tel (855) KRISS-US
(855) 574-7787

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
PERFECT, then BETTER, now NAVEL GAZING - LONG

PERFECT - I Shot my Subcompact today loaded with Federal HST 147 +P ammunition. Since I received my pistol back from Sphinx (out of battery problem, and total lock up when feeding Cor-Bon), I have shot various loads including nearly 100 rounds of the HST. I shot 140 more rounds today with perfect operation, so I now have 240 flawless rounds through the Sub. This qualifies it for me as reliable for carry with this load.

BETTER - As Prefontaine has been preaching, shoot this pistol to make it better. The slide lock lever which I could barely release with two thumbs at full pressure, now releases with one thumb and a bit more pressure that a SIG. The decocking lever is now the same way. The already excellent trigger is now even better. I can now even rack the slide and lock it back without an empty mag inserted without too much effort (I have very weak hand and finger strength).

NAVEL GAZING - To make this my EDC carry or not? Currently I carry a SIG P239 SAS Gen 2, with which I am very comfortable. It eats ANYTHING I feed it. It has night sights, which before a recent class that had some low light scenarios I never truly appreciated. I generally carry it in either a VM-II or Remora holster. Its capacity is 8+1.

My Sphinx is picky on ammo, but now that I found one that functions perfectly, that should not be an issue at all, as the round is a terrific SD round. My lock up with the Cor-Bon, and other people's lock up experiences weighs on me a little, but again, 240 flawless rounds with the HST shows that with the right round, the pistol functions flawlessly.

I am awaiting more reports about the Stealthgear Onyx holster as far as carry feel goes. Night sights are/have been promised by Kriss, second shots are faster on target than my SIG, and it holds 13+1.

What a pleasant dilemma to have. Two outstanding pistols to select from. I won't alternate; again, a great dilemma.

MP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MusProd,

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post