SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
for many decades it was SOP in the Marine Corp to use water resistant white lithium grease on the M1 Garand and other automatic firearms. My brother was a Marine and he turned me onto the Lithium grease in the 50's and I have not used anything else and you will not find any rust or excess wear on any of my guns. You guys can buy all the latest fancy grease and spend a fortune and I will use my lithium white grease. One medium sized tube will last me 10 years or more.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyshark:
The Lucas grease is some good stuff. If you want to save a few bucks you can buy a 14oz. tube of their marine grease for around seven bucks. I got mine at O'Riley auto parts. It's the same grease(minus the grape sent)they package in a 1OZ.tube and charge $10 for. Go to the Lucas wesite and compare the TDS for each and you'll see.

I read the data sheet too, and it really does look like the same product to me.
I could not find any at NAPA, Autozone, Walmart, BiMart, or O'Reilly's. I finally scored some at Home Depot, of all places.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Flork: I have no desire to open a debate on grease vs oil but would like to ask a question. I have been using oil for many years but have no background on oil vs grease. My question is: will the use of oil, say 20w50 synthetic harm my P 226 Stainless Elite? If so, I will gladly convert to grease.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always found it interesting that Sig Sauer recommends oil---on the rails, a heavy coating of oil----not necessarily grease. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Custom...intenanceGuides.aspx

Paul LaVanway

Posts: 41 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gammon, I have been using Mobil 1 20W50 VTWIN to lubricate pistols for many years with zero issues.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Flork, thanks for the heads up on the grease, I've been using Gun Butter for a while now with good result, but I just got a new Legion p226 SAO, and I want to start it out the right way, so I'm glad I joined this forum and saw your post...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the instructors at the range my father goes to suggested powdered graphite lubricant(comes in a tube, found it at Walmart) to use on the magazines for lubrication. Has anyone ever heard of this? All my reading and I haven't.

Posts: 7 | Registered: December 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure granite is a dry lube and the messiest stuff out there. I've used it on zippers, pinewood derby cars, It works kinda of low viscosity. On a magazine your talking big mess. There are dry lubes made by gun chemical company's that are cleaner.Actually I have graphite in my gun tool kit, just because I had it.

Posts: 17 | Location: Sugar Land, Texas | Registered: July 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read this for the third time now since it was originally posted.

Out of curiosity I checked four gun magazines for grease articles or vendors .,
I found six oil ads, and 7 cleaning fluid ads, but not one grease ad or article.

Why aren't more people jumping on the grease bandwagon?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's 'cause they just slide right off.
Like Starsky across the hood of a red and white Torino...

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cobrajunkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I found six oil ads, and 7 cleaning fluid ads, but not one grease ad or article.

There have been significant advancements over the years and especially with the CLP (clean, lube, protect) type products like G96 and Ballistol that will outperform grease (for small firearms, not railroad cars) and not be a magnet for dirt and grime. I'm not realizing the "C" part of CLP and still use a bore solvent like Hoppes9 but the penetrating properties of the newer synthetic oils is pretty amazing. Just spray it, let it sit and wipe it off. Take a new Sig out of the box and rack the slide. Now clean all the factory stuff off and treat it with Ballistol type product in the right places and then rack the slide. The difference is dramatic.

Knute

Posts: 13 | Registered: April 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using TW25B because SIG recommended it. Now SIG recommends Lucas.
One of my guns (P226) has over 27,000 rounds through it and the frame has no visible wear, other than a couple of shiny spots on the top about an inch from the front - using TW25B
I'm open to anything better.
I use CLP to clean, then use 91% rubbing alcohol to degrease, then the TW25B.
Anyone see any potential problem with this procedure, please advise.

Posts: 157 | Location: Southeast Louisiana | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Microlon Ultra blue for cold weather, and Slip 2000 grease for warm weather. Slip 2000 gun oil works well also... Depends on the gun and what it likes. My Sig 1911 is very picky about what I lube it with, my Sig 220's not so much...but I stay with one of the afor mentioned lubes. They work.

Posts: 16 | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I recall a SIG Academy class I was at with a few members here that Bruce G taught. Before we hit the line, we all had to go thru a lubricant rail check. Grease it was! I keep all my rails lubed with grease and oil the remainder of the internals. I listen to people of greater knowledge than I !

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brewer3401:
Been using TW25B because SIG recommended it. Now SIG recommends Lucas.
One of my guns (P226) has over 27,000 rounds through it and the frame has no visible wear, other than a couple of shiny spots on the top about an inch from the front - using TW25B
I'm open to anything better.
I use CLP to clean, then use 91% rubbing alcohol to degrease, then the TW25B.
Anyone see any potential problem with this procedure, please advise.

27,000 rounds with no visible wear seems like you answered your own question. TW25B for me.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
This excellent thread has me thinking that I'm not using enough grease.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very helpful

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Well, let me think... who would stand to gain if guns lubricated with oil would wear out faster than guns lubricated with grease?

Hmmmmmm, gun magazines, gun manufacturers, shop owners, gunsmiths... I doubt there's any grand conspiracy - but who knows?

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Robert Burke sent me a tube of Super Lube with a gun he returned to me. NLGI 2, synthetic with PTFE. I've been using it on slide/frame rails exclusively. It is clear, not messy, and sticks around well. I realize there are lots of products out there that do the same, and I've used many of them, but this is one of the "cleanest" I've yet used.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
I have been using Lubriplate on all my weapons since I was introduced to it in Marine Corps boot camp back in the 60's.

I have seen an M-60 machine gun stand up to an extended firefight with little more than a barrel exchange or canteen

of water poured over it (urine in extremis) after being cleaned and lubed with Lubriplate. I guess it will work on any semi auto pistol.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post