SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I like the engineering of new cartridges. I just do not see this gaining traction in the present day.

On paper it looks good. Heck I might try a S&W Shield Plus in the caliber.

As long as you can get me a steady diet of ammo at non-bankrupt my ass prices.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a Hellcat, Max-9 or GX4 came out chambered in it I may give one a try.

Still think it should've been named 32 Super.

Posts: 888 | Location: TX | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ If it takes off to any degree, or at least lasts a couple of years, it'll become .30 Super pretty quickly. People tend to find it easy to drop one or two syllables if they actually refer to something (including in print!) on a somewhat regular basis.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deadduck357:

Nope. That would have led to a huge number of new/uninformed buyers going to gun shops for ".32 ammo" for their gun and walking out with .32 ACP, or buying boxes of .32 S&W for their S&W handgun in .32 Super

I think going with ".30" was a good call to head off this kind of confusion, especially since it's debuting with the Shield EZ, which is specifically marketed at first-time, unsophisticated gun owners.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears the've re-invented the French 7.65 Long.

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Deadduck357:

Nope. That would have led to a huge number of new/uninformed buyers going to gun shops for ".32 ammo" for their gun and walking out with .32 ACP, or buying boxes of .32 S&W for their S&W handgun in .32 Super

I think going with ".30" was a good call to head off this kind of confusion, especially since it's debuting with the Shield EZ, which is specifically marketed at first-time, unsophisticated gun owners.

Yep, some 45 years ago, + or -; I (@ 11 or 12 years of age) indicated that I wanted to shoot my Dad’s WWII war trophy PPK in .32 ACP. So my Dad went down to the local boat & motor/lawn mower dealer/gun and fishing store and came out with a box of cartridges. I can only imagine what information was communicated, but he came home with a box of .32 S&W cartridges. The rimmed rounds did load into the magazine and would fire albeit once and hang up in the ejection port. We did this a couple of iterations before realizing the problem. Inexperience and ignorance could of caused a problem then, with today’s more powerful rounds, the potential is greater. (PS: I still have the PPK, and that box of 32 S&W, priced @ $3.45 a box).

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Big Grin You do realize. don't you, that that means you need a new .327 Mag so you can shoot up that box of .32 S&W?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Whether this is going to be a successful cartridge or not, I have no idea.

But I love to see companies taking risks and innovating. We truly live in the golden age of firearms. New guns, new cartridges, new accessories. Ranges and shops popping up.

'Merica, baby.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ Big Grin You do realize. don't you, that that means you need a new .327 Mag so you can shoot up that box of .32 S&W?

I have a Single Six Bisley in .32 H&R Magnum and a GP100 in .327 Federal Magnum...Wink

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I have a Single Six Bisley in .32 H&R Magnum and a GP100 in .327 Federal Magnum...Wink

I have a Ruger LCRx and SP101 327 Federal.
Both 327 Fed and 32 H&R Mag ammo is impossible to find in my area. Probably resort to ordering some. The shipping cost is always so high.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Expensive and brand new (therefore, very scarce) factory ammo and expensive components when/if they become available. Pistols chambered in this cartridge will be money pits.

Pistols chambered in this cartridge will be great for those guys who buy two 20 round boxes when they purchase their pistol, shoot one box at the range, load the other into a magazine or two, and then trust the gun to defend their life.

Does that describe anyone around here?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pistols chambered in this cartridge will be great for those guys who buy two 20 round boxes when they purchase their pistol, shoot one box at the range, load the other into a magazine or two, and then trust the gun to defend their life.

Does that describe anyone around here?

Nope, I can’t even see the new shooter selling his current pistol to replace it, no matter how suitable it might be. Sure there will be some nice pistols offered. What might get it some traction is getting chambered in cheap guns. 15 rounds in a $312 Keltec that runs. 50 round boxes of range ammo $20 25 round boxes of SD Ammo again $20, the 6.5 Creedmore is the inspiration.

Love my 327 Fed despite all the naysayers. I’ll have no use for this cartridge.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way Federal 30 Carry really makes it is if it is cheap and available. Federal I mean Vista will have to literally flood the market with the new round.

But that will lead to the question as to why they didn't flood the market to increase the supply and reduce cost of existing calibers.

This will be fun to watch but I see no need to participate.

Perhaps if some really compelling gun built around 30 Carry shows up I'd reconsider but right now I'm in no hurry.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I would question the corporate wisdom of injecting a new caliber into this market at this time.

While I see wanting to hit the market at this time as far as concealable firearms is concerned, doing so in this ammo market sounds like a colossal error in judgement.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I agree - unless it's cheap, I don't see it catching on.
It doesn't do anything other cartridges can't do.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Can this cartridge be used in pistols chambered for 9mm ? Case rim diameter.
If so, it would be a good match for a Ruger LC9s with a conversion barrel.

I am not dismissive about new cartridges.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Can this cartridge be used in pistols chambered for 9mm ? Case rim diameter.

.30 Carry - Case rim diameter .345:

9mm Parabellum - Case rim diameter .394:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hmm. As much as I've hated the way they've been priced in the past, SIG conversion kits for the P365 and P320 might be pretty doable unless the 365 mags wind up taking a lot of work. That might be it for the moment, though.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Chances are, with the way things stand nowadays, they won't even offer 50 round boxes of this stuff. It'll be 20 round boxes at a buck and a half a round. It's a ballistically unproven, expensive, scarce cartridge. If it had been introduced 3 or 4 years ago when ammunition was falling out of the sky, it would be a different story.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post