SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing? Login/Join 
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
As previously stated, I am a benefactor life member. Since way before they offered discounted life memberships. I support the NRA.

I do not feel compelled to justify or defend my opinion of the magazine or the article to anyone.

I respect you have a different opinion than I do. Please try to do the same.

An observation, many other gun magazines evaluate ammunition just as A.R. does. Quite a generalization.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
An observation, many other gun magazines evaluate ammunition just as A.R. does.

Ah. Good to know that some people still follow them. I haven’t seen one in quite some time. Perhaps the NRA publication has had a beneficial influence on them.

To return to the question I posed, though, I am still seriously curious how anyone who complains about the publication would change it if they believe they should avoid things like in depth evaluations of new cartridges that might be of interest to the membership.

Added:

I once saw a post here that said there was “nothing worth reading” in the American Rifleman. My first reaction was amazed incredulity because I give all of the regular features at least a glance, and I’m always interested in the history pieces, and especially those about military weaponry. I was familiar with much of what MAJ (Retired) John Plaster wrote about military sniping because I’ve read all his books, but his piece(s?) on MACV-SOG prompted my interest and led to my seeking further sources of information including an excellent book. In short, and although I’m not the true expert on many subjects that some are, the reason I know so much about so many firearms related subjects is because I have an interest in so many firearms related subjects that are at least touched on in the publication.

If the only guns someone has any desire to own or know anything about are Glock or 1911 pistols, it’s true that most AR issues will be a disappointment, and it would be very unrealistic to expect otherwise. If, however, one has a wide-ranging interest in other firearms and related topics to include the politics of our gun ownership rights, then I can only recommend to those who aren’t familiar with the publication that they check it out. And skipping over the articles that don’t interest you is just a matter of flipping a few pages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of .30 Super Carry, I just don't like it enough to go away from cheap, plentiful 9mm ammo. It's going to take more than incremental improvements to dethrone the king.

With the inertia that 9mm has in the market, a replacement has to be either:
a) significantly better, or
b) significantly cheaper

I don't see either one of those here.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
The idea of the .45 GAP .30 Carry is to provide a cartridge that would equal the power of the .45 ACP 9mm, have a stronger case head to reduce the possibility of case neck blowouts, and be shorter thinner to fit in a more compact handgun. This is a fantastic, novel idea that can't fail. [/snark]

The good news is that Massad Ayoob will be able to recycle most of this article:

https://americanhandgunner.com...-fall-of-the-45-gap/

Sort of true, but since the .45GAP replaced another .45 bore, there is a real difference in the .30 Carry and the rounds it might replace. Plus, improvements in 9mm were already narrowing the gap between 9mm and .45s more generally.

It does seem like there is a place for the .30 Carry, although it is a small niche. But where you are right is that it probably won't be all that successful because the niche is small, and is fairly well covered by existing rounds. Jaaron11 is right about that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
We can carry a .30 Super, it doesn't mean we rely on it at the range, just like the 6.8SPC hunters who shoot 5.56 at the range. Same for .357 SIG, etc few shoot the higher priced rounds precisely because they have 9mm to shoot cheap. Those other cartridges sold anyway. Even now used .40 S&W LEO pistols are going well - they don't sit on the shelf because they get no offers at all. Yet I read posts where it's expected it will fall by the wayside any minute. SIG did stop making new pistols last year in .40 - but there were 16 million more gun buyers than ever before in the last three years. Plenty of other .40's were selling. Admittedly, anything was selling.

The .30 Super ballistics do have a spot - it's a better round than .38 - there, I said it. There are 9mm revolvers, and with the straight wall case it's likely to pick up some models, where it would be a decent self defense round. As for the concept it has two more rounds a magazine, the biggest selling 9mm in the last few years is a SIG which came with a ten round - +3 more. That concept apparently struck a chord.

Entertain a P365 in .30 Super with the same penetration, 12 round mags standard in the shortest grip, and ammo is really no more expensive than the HP ammo carried in self defense. Nobody carries Blazer - it's usually the better stuff and that is running all the same.

Given that this was introduced by a major maker in this day and time, knowing the market, I can see it taking off. The biggest reason? Most gun forums aren't a reflection of the whole gun buying public. Glocks weren't well loved in the internet even in 2000 - look at them now. Every used .40 Glock is sold as soon as it comes up.

Things change.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The Ruger SP101 comes in a 6 shot .327 Federal Magnum. I'll bet they could set that up with moonclips for the .30 SC and a 2 1/4" barrel. Might be interesting.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
The Rifleman has devolved into just another gun rag; an adjunct to promote whatever new product hits the market.

If the NRA disappeared overnight along with all the benefits we gun owners currently have that were solely due to the organization’s constant efforts over the decades, I would still go on living for whatever my allotted years may turn out to be. Many of my activities would change—as well as the things I spend a lot of money on—but I wouldn’t be affected to the same extent as if, for example, uncontrolled COVID-19 among the antivax crowd mutates into something with a 20% fatality rate.

Derp! I would be way more concerned about the future children of those people running around with four doses of an unproven vaccine in them (because the gubmint said so but now they don’t care) that we have no idea what the long-term effects will be.

As for the 30 super duper, I’m in the camp that would like to see it in a 7 shot J frame.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'd only be interested in a J-frame if it didn't have the lock on it.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Thus my comment about more guns not being chambered for the round.

The shooting public has to figure out what they think the cartridge is good for (to whatever extent they may actually be interested). For that to happen there needs to be a wider variety of guns chambered for it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
The Rifleman has devolved into just another gun rag; an adjunct to promote whatever new product hits the market.

If the NRA disappeared overnight along with all the benefits we gun owners currently have that were solely due to the organization’s constant efforts over the decades, I would still go on living for whatever my allotted years may turn out to be. Many of my activities would change—as well as the things I spend a lot of money on—but I wouldn’t be affected to the same extent as if, for example, uncontrolled COVID-19 among the antivax crowd mutates into something with a 20% fatality rate.

Derp! I would be way more concerned about the future children of those people running around with four doses of an unproven vaccine in them (because the gubmint said so but now they don’t care) that we have no idea what the long-term effects will be.

As for the 30 super duper, I’m in the camp that would like to see it in a 7 shot J frame.

I think a J frame would only be able to hold six.

J Frames chambered in .32H&R or .327Mag generally hold six.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think a J frame would only be able to hold six.

J Frames chambered in .32H&R or .327Mag generally hold six.

Yeah but a guy can dream.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post