SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is your favorite dedicated "gun" oil ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite dedicated "gun" oil ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
What are your favorite dedicated gun oils ? Not necessarily CLPs or lubricant/cleaners, but dedicated oils for general purpose or specialized lubrication in your own guns where oil is called for. I'm assuming "gun" oil is somewhat of a misnomer depending on the oil's properties, given the sophistication of lubricants in general.

I want to buy some "gun oil", but I dont' know if there's any real difference in modern gun oils, compared to the three or so brands I have now, Hoppes gun oil, FP-10, Lucas Gun Oil, and some brown liquid shit labelled Militec-1 Metal Conditioner I picked up at a gun show about 20 years ago.

I don't know if gun oil is still just gun oil, or if it's time to upgrade, so to speak.

Am I out of date or is my gun oil as good as anyone elses ? This is for regular shooting irons, no high speed military stuff, just regular hunting and sporting firearms.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 EWL, as well as the entire family of Slip 2000 products.

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Thank you Para. I know it's poplular but have not studied it to date. Coming from you I will research that recommendation thoroughly.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Superlube, both the oil and the grease.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, but there is a guy testing the coefficient of friction of different gun and standard lubricants. His current summary is here...https://drive.google.com/file/d/15o5gdLxiJnqR35CSXRPCgLHT1nDwBgTy/view

Of course, a good gun oil is a mix of lubrication and corrosion protection so the above is only half of the "equation). I use Lubriplate (an industrial food grade lubricant) grease on my rails, barrel bushing area, etc. that sees high pressure and then Breakfree CLP on the rest. For years I used Mobil 1 multiweight too.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Don’t research it. Just buy it! Para suggested this to me a few years ago and I have been using it ever since.

There are a ton of newer lubes on the market that will do the same thing. I have tested just about everything out there. It is just a matter of personal preference.

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

Thank you Para. I know it's poplular but have not studied it to date. Coming from you I will research that recommendation thoroughly.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the 70's using Hoppes and in the 80's I switched to CLP Breakfree.

I switched to FP10 a few years back and I can tell it is slicker than Breakfree.

For rails on aluminum frames, I used Lucas grease.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been using Slip EWL & EWG for at least 10 years, so I guess that's my favorite.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Slip2000 EWL and EWG.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Dexron ATF

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I use primarily the Lucas Oil products and have been for years. I absolutely love their oil and grease.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I use Lucas, but mainly because I'm was a sponsored shooter of theirs for several years. I'd say any of the quality lubricants out there would work. I try to stay away from stuff like REMOil.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For gun oil it is FP-10.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Lucas clp to clean and lube parts and Slide Glide grease on the rails.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve switched to SLIP 2000. Primarily the EWL 30 and the EWG, with the light oil for .22.

I’ve got a bunch of Lucas Extreme Gun Oil that I use on the AR and to let others use if need be.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Mobil 1 synthetic oil and MasterPro white lithium grease.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For gun oil I like Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube oil.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same for me.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7958 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were still using oils, probably Lucas,Slip, Wilson, FP10, etc.

All I use anymore on all my firearms is, Black Rifle Balm and Winter Balm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
EezOx mostly.

And Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease on choke tube threads.

And by the way ... I saw an AMAZON ad for "Gun Oil" and ordered a bottle to try out without looking further. Needless to say, it was for a different shooter. It's the brand name of a sex lube!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post