SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hammer Fired...which would you choose...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer Fired...which would you choose... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Here in the great state of Cali, we have a limited number of firearms legal to purchase here. I am looking for a hammer fired (DA/SA) pistol to use when instructing. (I might even want to carry it for CCW when I carry appendix.) I am considering the following:

HK P2000 (or even SK)
CZ P01 (or a CZ 75 PCR)
HK USP Compact.

What are your thoughts / experiences out there?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all of those. My favorite of those would be my P2000 but in LEM. The P01 or PCR is a great gun. Full disclosure it’s a fantastic gun if you drop in the Cajun trigger parts. The USPc has the standard 2x4 shape of the USP line. Typical not great trigger out of the box but won’t ever let you down kind of reliability, robustness, and accuracy that I’m not really as confident of in the CZ.

The P2000 is basically a USPc in a better, more ergo friendly package. That would be my choice if I could only have one. CZ second.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I am a CZ fan and EDC a P-07, I would opt for the CZ. And +++ for the Cajun treatment.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15995 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
P-01 or P-07 all day.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6994 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
PCR all day every day and twice on Sunday. And I have the USPc and like it a lot. The PCR is a laser.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the P2000. I've owned them all and the P2000 with a 17 rd mag is my night stand gun. A vast improvement on the USP.
I love the PCR but the narrow slide and stiff springs make it hard for me to rack. For concealed carry I go to a P30SK with 13 rd mag.
LEM triggers are nice but I prefer the standard DA/SA Variant 3 for my H&K's.

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm going to say what I suspect many opening and reading your post are going to be thinking... you are leaving out what our #1 choice would be.

"The pistol that set the standard by which all combat handguns are measured."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's been years, but I recall liking the USP45C (IIRC) that I got some range tome with. It's the only one I've shot of your options, but wouldn't mind trying a P2000.

I don't think I've ever shot a CZ

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm going to say what I suspect many opening and reading your post are going to be thinking... you are leaving out what our #1 choice would be.

P226/9?
Maybe not an option on CA roster, new?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have a Cajonized P01. The only other DASA pistol on par is the LTT PX4 Compact carry.

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Since I am a CZ fan and EDC a P-07, I would opt for the CZ. And +++ for the Cajun treatment.

This. I love my Cajunized CZ.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cz PCR or P01 if you want the rail

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If those are the choices I have....CZ hands down every time.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I get older and my hands aren’t quite as arthritis free as they once were, the very small slide purchase of the CZ I find more difficult. As I get older I prefer more aggressive slide serrations not smaller.

One of my all time favorite guns is a CZ PCR that usually has a Kadet 22 conversion on top. Love this combo. I find it nearly impossible to rack the slide unless I cock the hammer first. The Kadet is even smaller grip wise than the 9mm upper.

All that being said, my wife’s bedside gun is a P01.

Those are all good choices except for the USPc. I own a couple and have never warmed up to them like the other 2 (PCR and P01 are basically identical).

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I too would choose the CZ and while I love the PCR/P01 I'd get the P-07 in a hearbeat.

Posts: 10825 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

P226/9?
Maybe not an option on CA roster, new?

The Sig 226 and 229 have CA variants on the roster (complete with goofy pop up loaded chamber indicator) but are generally too big for me to CCW. Also after 31 years of wearing a gun belt my back needs lighter guns.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I would say P-01 with some spring changes. Yes, it has a smaller harder to grip slide but it also highly over sprung, in my experience. It’s reliable with everything in stock form, but also with a Cajun Reduced power trigger spring, 15lb hammer spring and 14lb recoil spring and is so much easier to work the slide. Mags are the cheapest, I don’t know rules in CA, and plenty of holsters available.

The P2000 would be next. Better grip to me and more rounded than the USP.
The USP I have is awesome but a square chunk that WILL need trigger work and grip work.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
God not really a bad choice in there to be honest.

I’m kinda right in line with Pedropcola in my thoughts. The P2000 continues to be my favorite do it all platform but man I like the P01 as well and with slim grips and a flat baseplate mag makes for a really small carry package. The USPc is a great gun all around but far “bulkier” than the other two.

I am gonna go P2000 or SK. I personally find the “full size” P2000 more comfortable to carry then the SK if that matters but the SK gives you lots of versatility ala Glock 26 (10 round flat baseplate super small to carry mags all the way up to 17-21 rounders)

There is something special about all metal CZ’s though.

Like I said barring individual likes and dislikes there is literally no bad choice to be made there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
…. but are generally too big for me to CCW. Also after 31 years of wearing a gun belt my back needs lighter guns.

With this in mind the USPc, while perfectly carryable is a bit bulky as I said above. Both the P2000 and P01 are far smaller carrying than they have any right to be and what the numbers might suggest. The P2000 is smoothed out in all the right places to make for a very nice carrying pistol yet is still plenty big enough to “fight with” so to speak.

Now keep in mind my opinions are just from some idjit on the webz who has no gun fighting experience nor does he want any. I am just a gun nerd who’s put a hole or three in paper and cardboard over the years with gun or two.

I posted this here some time back but it might help. It is however long winded and poorly written as I am want to do. Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5700047844/p/1

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
PCR

Of the three mentioned, I've had the PCR (and P-01) and the USP Compact. And the PCR fits me perfectly. The P-01 is really the same, except it has the rail, which I really don't need. The USP Compact is also great, but the trigger (especially the DA) sucks. The HK P2000 is really a reworked Compact, which turned out undesirable for me.

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post