SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock vs. a Box of Hammers (Picture Heavy Comparison)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock vs. a Box of Hammers (Picture Heavy Comparison) Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
PART 1 - OVERVIEW

So spring boarding off the thread asking what is the DA/SA Glock 19 I had mentioned that I don't think there is a 1:1 option here but that there are alot of great choices. So I figured I would take a little time to throw together my own super subjective, completely unscientific, uneducated comparison of some of the hammer fired players.

Please note I am not an LEO, Swat team member, beardhavingtieronedevgrumeateating Delta Seal who kills more terrorists before 8am then you do all day. Hell I am not even a armed Cub Scout. I am just a gun nut who is lucky enough to have a little experience with a lot of guns. My desire level to use any kind of violence ever is just below getting kicked in the balls by a donkey so......take my observations for what they are.

I figured I would judge each gun against the Glock 19, with the Glock being the baseline. I figured I would use the following criteria that is both objective and subjective. I am not going to talk triggers as they are vastly different systems. One goes sproing/boom they other goes snapboom. That about covers it.

I am also not going to discuss accuracy specifically as I suck and all these guns shoot more then well enough for their intended jobs. I will say that in my experience the Glocks do not shoot quite as well as any of the guns I am comparing against but much of that has to do with ergonomics, single action triggers, tighter tolerances etc. The point is they put the holes basically where you want to put the holes.

Price
Reliability
Durability
Capacity
Size
Weight loaded
History
Fit and Finish
Support
My subjective thoughts

So lets begin.
In this corner we have the reigning champion, the Glock 19. Its an ugly little spud but much like a three legged dog, it may not be much to look at but its reliable and dependable to a fault.

Price - Glocks are not as cheap as they used to be. They do still represent a very solid value for an excellent firearm with excellent quality control. Please note that if you buy one bone stock most folks are going to replace the dovetail protectors with real sights so that is going to up the cost about a hundred bucks. Still a solid value.

Reliability - Pretty legendary here. You can limp wrist one if you really try and you can see a light strike now and then with crappy ammo, but barring some bouts with erratic ejection patterns they pretty much run like refrigerator.

Durability - Breaking a Glock requires.....effort. They are very durable guns and with correct maintenance they are going to last for damn ever. Honestly the polymer is the only wildcard here. Will it be around 4 generations from now? I have no idea. It will for the rest of any of our lifespans.

Capacity - 15+1 is a LOT of Pew Pew in a very small package.

Size - The Glock 19 is small but its ergonomics make it feel like a bigger gun in your hand.

Weight loaded - 1.147lbs with 16 rounds

History - Long and storied. Glocks have been used everywhere by everybody and will be on Mars when we go their. They have been pretty much a standout now since the mid eighties.

Fit and Finish - Ehhh its a Glock. They are put together well and generally have a tough finish depending on generation but there really isn't alot of finishing work needed on such a simple gun.

Support - You can build a Glock from parts you buy from Amazon and Pep Boys.....basically. Holsters, magazines etc. Just walk 200 yards in any direction and you should be all set here for a good price.

My subjective thoughts - The Glock 19 is the standard bearer for what a defensive pistol should be. Even if you HATE Glocks for any number of reasons, if you are intellectually honest with yourself you have to admit they are world class guns. Sure they have enough ugly to run off a rabid werewolf but is that really a bad thing?

So off to our challengers.

From left to right.....
-Beretta 92FS Compact 9mm
-SIG P229 .40 (I don't have a 9mm but its representative of the breed)
-HK P2000 9mm
-Glock 19
-CZ 75 P-01
-Walther P99
-HK P2000sk with 13 round mag

So lets get ready to rumbllleeeee!!!. Be honest you read that in that guys voice.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 2 - BERETTA 92FS "COMPACT"

Let me just preface by saying that pictures don't really do the 92 "compact" justice. It's a pretty big pistol in the hand. I have this image of the first one rolling off the line and somebody in their best Princess Bride saying.... "Compact? I do not think that word means what you think it means."

That being said its a GREAT gun. If you like Beretta 92s this thing is just the same just a bit smaller.

Price (EDGE BERETTA) - You get alot of pistol for the money with the average Beretta and they compare in price very well with Glocks. They also come with real sights and are old school all metal pistols. I don't say this to say all metal is better then polymer only that is is more expensive to work with and produce which give the edge to Beretta here as far as price.

Reliability (EDGE BERETTA) - A well maintained Beretta 92 using proper parts and magazines is one of the MOST reliable pistols on the planet. I am going to call this one for Beretta because I have seen Beretta 92s ignite primers and and run some ammo that my Glocks wouldn't. In practical purposes they are both uber reliable handguns.

Durability (EDGE GLOCK by far) - Polymer framed guns are simply more durable than alloy framed guns. Steel on steel is always better then steel on alloy. When you factor in the locking block replacements etc. the fact is gun for gun Glocks will be far more durable over the long haul then a Beretta 92. Now for the average user is this an issue??? I dunno. A good Beretta that is cared for is going to run THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of rounds. They are used in competition all the time and have endured military service. They are plenty durable for my couch commando duties.

Capacity (EDGE GLOCK) - Lets face it. Glock shoves a lotta love into each of those tiny magazines. Getting that last round in might require a some kind of power tool but you gets lots of bang out of the average Glock. Frankly this has been an area that Glock has shined since the beginning and frankly still does.

Size (EDGE GLOCK) - Ok she's purty but she's a biggun'. Think 50's era pinup model. Beautiful with all the right curves but certainly not small. The Glock is very small, even though can subjectively feel bigger due to the ergos but it is a very small gun for its capabilities. Easy win for Glock here.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK) - 2.61lbs. She's got a fair bit of junk in her trunk.

History (EDGE GlOCK slightly) - Beretta's have a long and storied history of use all over the world just as Glock. They have fought everywhere this side of Dagobah swamp and love em' or hate em', they have a very storied reputation. I am going to give the edge to Glock here but only by a hair simply because of the various military complaints. That said mark my words when the SIG's are shot out, replaced with aftermarket parts and bag magazines they are not gonna be loved either.

Fit and Finish (EDGE Beretta) - ITSA BEAUTIFUL PISTOLA!!! The Beretta looks good, is very well finished, has an action that feels like its on ball bearings and there is no contest vs. the Glock.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) - Nobody has support like Glock. No pistol here comes close. That being said the Beretta does have a wide amount of parts and accessories easily available, just not like Gaston's baby.

My subjective thoughts - I love the Beretta 92. I shouldn't I have itty bitty girl hands. I shoot them well and I think they look great. This 92 "compact" is no different. It is however way bigger feeling then it's pictures or specs imply.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 3 - SIG P229

This is a GREAT gun. It is however a bit large feeling. Like the Beretta it feels bigger then its numbers imply, it does however feel smaller then the 92 "compact". This particular gun is in .40 so its going to be heavier then the 9mm as well as derided by any and all far and wide as they most useless cartridge ever designed making my judgement very suspect......I accept that. Moving on.

Price (EDGE GLOCK) - SIG is proud of their handguns, very proud, like send them to Harvard and get them in the Skull and Bones proud and that kinda pride costs MONEY.....YOUR MONEY. You can buy like sixteen Glocks for the price of the SIG. Ok that is a little facetious but SIG's are generally very expensive.

Reliability (WASH) - Both have shown about the same reliability with me and both have lived in lots of prestigious holsters and served with distinction. They both go badda boom when you press the snappy or sproingy part.

Durability (EDGE GLOCK) - Here we have another alloy vs. polymer pistol. Polymer is going to win. Again we are talking in terms of LONG term hard use. A SIG P228/229 is not going to fall apart in 5000 rounds. It's just that the Glock's have shown to be much more durable in general.

Capacity - (Wash) I believe current SIG P228/P229 9mms have 15 shot magazines.

Size (EDGE GLOCK)- The SIG is bigger and feels it. Its not 92 "compact big" but I wouldn't call it a compact per say either.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK)- 2.76lbs. Even though this is a .40 and heavier then the 9mm, a Glock 23 is going to be much lighter.

History (EDGE SIG) - I know this one is going to be contentious but the SIG P229/P228 have been in some VERY prestigious holsters in some very inhospitable places. Honestly one could go either way here. Point is the P228/P229 is a legendary piece of kit.

Fit and Finish (EDGE SIG) - It's a SIG vs. a Glock......do the math.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) - SIG is really the only pistol on this list that will give Glock a bit of a run for its money as for as parts and accessory availability. Glock still wins but SIG has robust parts and accessory availability.

My subjective thoughts - I cut my teeth on SIGs. They are world class firearms. My biggest fear with modern SIG is a seeming lack of quality control. Its not that the designs are poor but variability from gun to gun seems to have suffered over the last several years. Just something to think about in 2018.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 4 - HK P2000

Poor little red headed HK step child that it is, the P2000 is a FANTASTIC hammer fired Glock competitor. A lot of folks have sort seen the light in recent years with the price drops.

Price (EDGE HK) - JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK WHAT THE HELL IS CSLINGER SMOKING? I don't smell toast and I haven't had a head injury so bear with me. HK has seen price cuts over the last few years where Glock has gone up in price. In today's world a P2000 is very competitive to a Glock 19 and the P2000 has far better ergonomics, all steel parts, great sights, ambi controls, replaceable backstraps etc. I don't think the P2000 is better then a Glock 19 but I do think its a better value in today's world, especially if you are looking for a hammer fired gun.

Reliability (EDGE GLOCK) - Both have shown about the same reliability with me but Glock has a far wider usage base to take insights from. I have sample size of five P2000's and they are all dead nuts reliable. I would call this a wash if not for the large Glock data set to call upon.

Durability (EDGE HK Shortterm / Glock Longterm) - "What kind of double speak bullshit political speech is Cslinger peddling." REST ASSURED ITS FOR THE CHILDREN....where was I. Here is my though process here. HK pistols are generally rated for 20,000 rounds out of the box. This includes EVERYTHING. Recoil spring etc. etc. Glocks, should have a modicum of maintenance more often in their use then the HK. Long term however, I believe it will be easier to source parts for the Glock to keep them running indefinitely. The P2000 or any HK for that matter for the average user is a STOUT handgun.

Capacity - (EDGE GLOCK) 16 pew pews beat 14 pew pews in any math book in the nation. More is better....more may not be needed....more likely won't ever be needed.....but more pew pew is always better then less pew pew.

Size (WASH)- I am going to get a little subjective here. Objectively the HK is a bigger pistol every so slightly. The controls add some width etc. That being said the HK, to me FEELS smaller. It is well melted, carries better IMO then the squared off Glock and just sort of melts into your body/hand. The Glock may be smaller but the HK feels smaller. YMMV of course.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK)- 2.06bs. It's an HK with all steel parts and lots of extra levers and buttons and lions and tiger.....Its a robust little guy. Lets call him husky. Honestly this helps in shooting IMO but there is no denying the Glock is lighter.

History (EDGE GLOCK) - The P2000 has seen some use with law enforcement around the globe but generally you don't hear much good or bad. It just goes about it's business like it needs to. Basically in movie terms the the HK is the Coast Guard, reliable, useful, performing a valuable and essential role.........but nobody wants to see them in a movie. The Glock 19 is the Navy Seals and everybody wants to see that movie.

Fit and Finish (EDGE HK) - HK fit and finish is basically impeccable. The Hostile environment outer finish has shown for me to be more durable then most Glocks. (The finish not the metal treatment). I haven't used the NDLC coated Glocks enough to say anything either way about them. That being said inside and out, the metal work, the polymer work, the markings, everything is just amazing, especially for a polymer pistol. This is an easy win for HK. Now does any of this matter one whit in the real world??? Probably not, depends on YOU frankly.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) -Although the P2000 uses basically all the parts for a USPc and the magazines are readily available and not super expensive at $35-$36 the fact remains Glock just tramples it in this category. While holsters for the P2000 are more available then you might think I think a Glock holster just randomly fell from the sky in my back yard.

My subjective thoughts - This is the pistol I think is the best analog for a DA/SA Glock 19/23. The main differences are not really about size or capacity because real world those really are close enough to be statistical noise. The real difference comes with the ergos, the controls etc. Glocks are AWESOME GUNS designed for people with life sized Lego Minifig hands. The HK fits human hands very well. The HK also has a much more robust control group. Bigger slide releases, ambi controls all around etc. This doesn't make it better has many folks prefer the slick sided lack of controls on a Glock and they are not wrong. I however like the HK controls an appreciate their ambi nature.

About the paddle magazine release.......I got nothing. I love it. I think its superior to a button in every way for ME. That being said its a bit of a come to Jesus argument in the gun community. All I will say is don't try to use your thumb, use your trigger or middle finger to drop the mag if you are playing with one for the first time. This is gonna be the LOVE IT or HATE IT feature on the HK's and the Walther.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 5 - CZ P01

Ok so Glock........rolls off the tongue. You can make all kinds of bawdy rhymes with Glock. Its a cool Austrian hard word. Just say it GLOCK!!!

Now say Česká zbrojovka fast. Rhyme it with something........yes I too would like to buy a vowel Pat. That being said the P01 is a compelling competitor to the Glock 19.

Price (EDGE CZ) - Even though CZ's have been edging up in price they are still very competitive and you are getting an all metal pistol with metal sights for your money. (Ok the sights kinda suck out of the box but they are durable) I still think CZ's in general get a SLIGHT edge in price over Glocks again mostly because of the additional cost of producing metal firearms vs. spooging out some plastic into a mold.

Reliability (EDGE GLOCK) - For me personally its a wash. Both are very reliable. Any research will show that they are basically a wash in reliability and my CZ's tend to have one of the BEST ejection patterns of any pistol. That being said once again there are eleventy billion Glocks in use and they generally work Eleventy Billion times. So edge Glock.

Durability (EDGE GLOCK) - We are back to Alloy vs. Polymer here. The Glock is just going to last longer, combine that with CZ's propensity to break slide stops and trigger return springs (a maintenance issue to be sure, but an average Glock 19 is likely to be far more durable then a P01 long term. For real world normal person use the P01 will be passed on to generations.

Capacity - (EDGE GLOCK) 16 shots vs 15 shots. Its close but Glock gets to send just a tiny bit more love down range.

Size (EDGE CZ)- I am going to get a little subjective again. Objectively the CZ is a bigger pistol with the beaver tail sticking out and the larger controls etc. Subjectively with a set of G10 grips on it is shocking at how svelte the CZ feels. I mean it just feels so small yet fills your hand with a perfect grip. It's hard to explain but where as the Beretta feels way bigger then it is the CZ feels WAY smaller then it is.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK)- 2.21bs. It's all metal and steel and has some weight to it. I carries very nicely though.

History (EDGE GLOCK) - CZ folks will tell you its the most issued handgun in the world!!!! Its the most copied handgun in the world!!!! I might believe the copied one but issued???? Not sure I am buying this one. That being said CZ's do have a long history of being very reliable solid firearms that are also considered to this day to be one of the most comfortable to hold.

Fit and Finish (EDGE GLOCK) - I'm gonna get some hate for this I know. CZ puts out fantastic guns that always go bang, are always accurate and generally look great and have a very durable finish on the outside......inside things get a little.......Well it looks like Gimli, hammered the insides out with a rusty, dull hammer, on a Monday while sipping a little hair of the dog to fight the Dwarven hangover.

NO listen none of that ever matters. They ALWAYS work but the Glock in this single case is just better finished especially inside.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) - Its the most widely used handgun in America vs. the Cska...Cseska...Cheszka....Sambucca.....the CZ. Mags are pretty readily available and cheap (MECGAR) who I think makes the better makes for CZs in their aftermarket offerings vs. the factory ones. Point is beyond that You are going to hunt for CZ stuff.

My subjective thoughts - This is my metal gun choice. It shoots lights out, is super svelte in practice, looks good on the outside, has a decent trigger, a good mag release, cheap magazines and feels oohhhh soooo good in the hand. I know I may have seemed a little hard in the comments above but this would be my metal gun choice.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 6 - Walther P99as

Now this is an older pistol in our collection. It is an early model P99 and it has been nothing short of phenomenal. Its also a bit of an odd duck. It's DA/SA with a decocker........yet striker fired. Honestly as weird as that sounds I wish this had seen more development.

Price (EDGE GLOCK) - This is pretty close to a wash but you can usually find a Glock 19 easier and just a bit cheaper in bone stock form.

Reliability (EDGE GLOCK) - This is another Glock only gets the edge due to is long resume. For me personally the Walther has seen more rounds and been more reliable then that Gen 3 19.(Not hugely so, its basically a wash.....but Glock resume....So edge Glock.

Durability (EDGE GLOCK) - I really don't know to be honest. I haven't read of any P99s falling apart and they seem with my examples every bit as durable as my Glocks and the the one shown I have had for a LONG time. This I have to go with Glock just for parts availability and that long Glock resume' again.

Capacity - (EDGE Walther) The Walther in the picture is running 16+1 and is damn near the same size as the Glock. Combine that with a grip that is WONDERFUL for damn near everybody even after all these years and its an easy Walther win here.

Size (WASH)- These are really similarly sized pistols. The Walther might be a hair bigger but honestly not enough to matter in practical use. Combine that with the fact that it is far more melted and contoured then the Glock and it feels much smaller in practice.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK)- 2.01bs. Wow, heavier on my scale then I would have thought honestly. The balance is so good that I would have thought it lighter. Glock takes the win again here though.

History (EDGE WALTHER) - You simply don't hear much about the P99. I mean it has served in law enforcement and everything I have read seems like it is durable and well liked but it's almost a footnote kind of gun so easy win for WALTHER. "Huh says you????? That makes no sense." Let me say three words to you. "James Friggin Bond" ANNNDDD MIKE DROP.

Seriously though Glock takes an easy win here.

Fit and Finish (EDGE Walther) - It's not as well put together and finished as the HK's but damn its nicely put together plastic pistola. Nicely melted, contoured etc. It blows Glock out of the water here.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) - Go into your local gun store and ask for a Walther P99 holster...... They will probably look at you funny and tell you that you can buy air filters at the Home Depot. Magazines are fairly easy to come by as they use the PPQ M1 mags AFAIK and you can still find P99 magazines but not always easily. EASY WIN again for Glock

My subjective thoughts - This is the gun everybody wants to shoot when they are just learning. It fits EVERYBODY. Everybody shoots it well, everybody loves it. It has a GREAT double action trigger and has a FANTASTIC single action trigger. Honestly for most folks this is probably as close to their DA/SA Glock 19 that they will get.

All that being said.....Paddle Magazine release. I know.....let it out.....its not healthy to hold it in. I will wait.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
PART 7 - HK P2000 SK with 13 round magazine

I know, I know really more of a chunky Glock 26 competitor but here me out on this one. This gives you lots of options, its a lego like the Glock 26 can be.

Most of the below is exactly the same as the HK P2000 entry so I will make no changes.

Price (EDGE HK) - YEP.....still no head injuries.....JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK WHAT THE HELL IS CSLINGER SMOKING? I don't smell toast and I haven't had a head injury so bear with me. HK has seen price cuts over the last few years where Glock has gone up in price. In today's world a P2000 is very competitive to a Glock 19 and the P2000 has far better ergonomics, all steel parts, great sights, ambi controls, replaceable backstraps etc. I don't think the P2000 is better then a Glock 19 but I do think its a better value in today's world, especially if you are looking for a hammer fired gun.

Reliability (EDGE GLOCK) - Both have shown about the same reliability with me but Glock has a far wider usage base to take insights from. I have sample size of five P2000's and they are all dead nuts reliable. I would call this a wash if not for the large Glock data set to call upon.

Durability (EDGE HK Shortterm / Glock Longterm) - "What kind of double speak bullshit political speech is Cslinger peddling." REST ASSURED ITS FOR THE CHILDREN....where was I. Here is my though process here. HK pistols are generally rated for 20,000 rounds out of the box. This includes EVERYTHING. Recoil spring etc. etc. Glocks, should have a modicum of maintenance more often in their use then the HK. Long term however, I believe it will be easier to source parts for the Glock to keep them running indefinitely. The P2000 or any HK for that matter for the average user is a STOUT handgun.

Capacity - (EDGE GLOCK) 16 pew pews beat 10 or 13 pew pews in any math book in the nation, but you can run a 15 rounder. More is better....more may not be needed....more likely won't ever be needed.....but more pew pew is always better then less pew pew.

Size (EDGE HK)- The SK is a little chunky but with the 13 shot magazine really feels GREAT and is smaller then the Glock 19.

Weight loaded (EDGE GLOCK by a hair)- 1.15bs. I know its not totally fair comparing a sub compact to a compact but its just such a shootable option with the 13 shot magazine and give you the option of going smaller or larger.

History (EDGE GLOCK) - The P2000 has seen some use with law enforcement around the globe but generally you don't hear much good or bad. It just goes about it's business like it needs to. Basically in movie terms the the HK is the Coast Guard, reliable, useful, performing a valuable and essential role.........but nobody wants to see them in a movie. The Glock 19 is the Navy Seals and everybody wants to see that movie.

Fit and Finish (EDGE HK) - HK fit and finish is basically impeccable. The Hostile environment outer finish has shown for me to be more durable then most Glocks. (The finish not the metal treatment). I haven't used the NDLC coated Glocks enough to say anything either way about them. That being said inside and out, the metal work, the polymer work, the markings, everything is just amazing, especially for a polymer pistol. This is an easy win for HK. Now does any of this matter one whit in the real world??? Probably not, depends on YOU frankly.

Support (EDGE GLOCK) -Although the P2000 uses basically all the parts for a USPc and the magazines are readily available and not super expensive at $35-$36 the fact remains Glock just tramples it in this category. While holsters for the P2000 are more available then you might think I think a Glock holster just randomly fell from the sky in my back yard.

My subjective thoughts - This is the transformer of my list. Like the Glock 26 it can be a P2000sk, a P2000 or a P30 so to speak. It can run a light and 15 shot magazine for bedside or a 10 shot magazine and no light for super easy carry. All that with a DA/SA hammer fired action and HK quality and a GREAT price. It's a compelling option as would a P30SK be, but I don't have a P30sk

Once again......avert your eyes traditionalist......brace yourselves......Paddle magazine release.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Well there you have my cursory look and opinion of some popular Glock 19 DA/SA hammer fired competitors. The Glock 19 is legendary. It is pragmatically the perfect handgun IMO. That may not make it perfect for you or I but feature for feature it really is the one to beat, even if it has the ergonomics of cinder block.

I hope my insights might help a person looking for an old school hammer fired/DA/SA alternative focus their choices down.

As always these are only MY thoughts. They are not meant to be absolutes and one must understand they are largely subjective and I am an idiot.....so you pay's your monies and your takes your chances.

Take care, Shoot safe,
Chris

Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Right on Chris. I have several Sigs and 2 Glocks, a 19 and a 23. But when the rubber meets the road it's the 19.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My made in GA 19 makes a good night stand gun

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't have familiarity with all of the pistols that you review, but I will agree that the Glock 19 is pretty much the standard for judging a concealable combat worthy pistol.

That said, I only carry pistols with hammers, so I don't own any Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, or 320s, but I do appreciate the write up on the hammer fired pistols in the comparison.

Very nice job. Thank you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Where the G19 always seems to get competitors is size / capacity.

Same Size (ala P2000), fewer rounds.

Same capacity (ala P320C), larger pistol.

Only the M&P 2.0 Compact seems to match the G19 stride for stride, but then it’s a couple oz heavier and mags are 50% more than Glock OEMs.

There is a reason the G19 is what it is.

Great comparison though.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Thanks for taking the time to do such a great comparison. I own a few on your write up and can't disagree with anything you've said.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Wow!
Thanks for taking the time to do such a great comparison. I own a few on your write up and can't disagree with anything you've said.

yes -- big thanks you here also

what can i say - i love reading about guns Smile

our choice of the G19 for HD boils down - basically - to reliability and simplicity

is it 'the best' at everything ? probably not

but for us - it has been extremely reliable and it is very simple

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
need to add the M&P 2.0 compact, the VP9, and the Walther PPQ as comparison.

Oh, add the CZ P07 as well.

Oh, and the Beretta APX

Oh, and the FN FNS9

Oh, and the FN 509

and also the Springfield thingamagiga.

Oh, and the Springfield Saint...

Just kidding. Screw anything made by Springfield Armory.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the comparison and notes, well done sir

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Fine post with salient, interesting thought put into it.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding post, humorous and insightful. I nibbled on this throughout the day. Thank you for the writing. Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the replies all. I just figured since I went through the very same I want a DA/SA Glock 19/23 question I might be able to give some personal insight into some of the suggestions in the other thread. See having no impulse control can be helpful to the community Smile

The P2000 series I settled on lacks a couple rounds but damn near feels like some single stacks.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the work, time & effort put forth in your "Box of Hammers" comparison!

I've got all of your contenders, except the CZ, and I absolutely agree with your analysis and result. All facts aside, I love the HK2000 and carry it daily. It just feels better. Smile

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
An interesting comparison, but I have some methodology issues. I'll focus on one, price. You seem to be confusing objective price vs subjective value. Lets look at the Beretta 92 compact. A quick check shows it's street price (the street being Gunbroker) around $670-700+. A new Gen 5 Glock 19 $550-570. On price, that makes give Glock and unquestionable win.

Value is more subjective. I hear you point about all metal construction, and maybe better ergonomics as increasing the value of the Beretta. But those are likely better covered by other categories, or be their own category (ergonomics / shootability should definitely be a category.)

That's just one example.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post