SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying the P320 concerns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying the P320 concerns Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Are any of you concerned about carrying the P320 with some reports of it firing while holstered?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh geez, here we go again.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

After Sig issued the "voluntary recall" and changed the design, I would like to see anyone point out concrete examples of how it could possibly fire without the trigger being actuated by some means. This myth that seem to never die appears mostly related to people using holsters not designed for the P320 or foreign object interference within the holster.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Well yes...here we go again.

I was an early P320 adopter. Still have them and want to like them. That said, with reports still coming in of problems, it's still a thing. Of the 3 320's in this house, 1 has been a catastrophic nightmare that doesn't involve it firing when not wanted. In fact, I still need to contact Sig to take it back and fix it.

If the problems weren't a problem, then why do they continue year after year??? Open to current experiences and opinions. The same topics come up years later on various forums because new people keep bringing the topics up, which is good. We can't assume just because we hashed something out a few years back, that it's settled and done.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In over 50 years of shooting, I have yet to have a gun go off by it self. I have a 320 with a couple of thousand rounds down the tube. Zero issues. None.

To quote someone from this forum "Howdy! I have yet to see any report of alleged P320 spontaneous firing which is credible."

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
In over 50 years of shooting, I have yet to have a gun go off by it self. I have a 320 with a couple of thousand rounds down the tube. Zero issues. None.

To quote someone from this forum "Howdy! I have yet to see any report of alleged P320 spontaneous firing which is credible."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjo62vSYZk

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:

I have my doubts. He holstered the weapon, raised his arms and the gun went off.

Again "I have yet to see any report of alleged P320 spontaneous firing which is credible"

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:

Been discussed at length, https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...980007594#5980007594

Bottom line, not credible! Just like countless other BS allegations of spontaneous discharge.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did stop carrying my P320. But not because I think there’s a problem. Just because I figured out that my back pain was from keeping a tight belt to hold the holster up. It was putting undue pressure on my sciatic nerve with unpleasant results. I now pocket carry a P365. ETA: I’m way too young to have sciatic pain!

My P320 still goes with me everywhere in my center console though. Without a single worry.

None of the reports have found the issue to be repeatable, or a related parts breakage. No one has been able to explain how a cascade of multiple failures could happen once, but not them be replicated. Each instance has had a very reasonable simple explanation, most of which involve shoving the gun into a holster without paying attention. Cop guy getting out of the back seat had probably been serving warrants and jammed his pistol in the holster to handcuff someone or something. Wasn’t paying attention, motion of standing up pulled up the fleece or jacket and bang. Competition kid I can damned near guarantee thinks he looks cool when he makes ready, with a prominently fluid mag insertion, an exaggerated slingshot and then a super fast no-look holster. While thinking “damn I’m high speed” to himself. Pinches his chubby kid wicking operator/gamer shirt just begging for sponsors to advertise on into the holster and trigger guard, raises his arms to “surrender position” pulling his shirt up and bang.

No one has presented any logical scenario where they explain how a mechanical failure or design flaw could be at fault. I’ll listen if someone has one. But no one does. Instead, it’s a “known issue” and so they glom onto that instead of admitting they’re responsible for their own ND.

There was issues with the original design. They thought they had the physics beat; they missed the 1:10000000 way. They fixed it. I also didn’t like the double click trigger reset, so the upgrade fixed a couple problems in my eyes. But since then there is zero evidence of anything other than poor firearm handling.

So, no. No concerns.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
To cause an accidental discharge without trigger pull, either a faulty or tampered firing pin safety would be required AND a force capable of triggering the mechanism without moving the trigger. If that were the case, then the failure is systematic and it could be repeated at any time.

The firing pin safety of a SIG P320 is a shaped piece of steel that engages the hammer mechanism from the right side. In order to deactivate it and release the hammer, it must be lifted. This can only be done by pulling the trigger after it has moved about 1/8in.

So, if a shot just releases and the error is not systematic, the trigger must have been moved. For me personally, this settles the question of safety.

In principle, its function is similar to the firing pin safety patented by Sauer and Son in 1938, which was adopted by SIGSauer and copied by many other well-known manufacturers.

On YouTube there are various contributions of "SIGMechanics" that explain the P320 and its safety concept.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a P320 Compact that has a couple thousand rounds through it and has been holstered I can easily estimate somewhere between 600 and 1000 times. Two 4 day classes where I went through over 1300 rounds and only fired double taps ... not once did it go off with out me pulling the trigger...

but I do have to say I'm not 100% comfortable carrying a striker fired pistol of any type or brand.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO.

Bought my P320C 9mm in January 2015. Carried before the "Voluntary Upgrade" and after it.

First, it was the gun fires if tossed in the air and lands in a negative 17 degree position on a concrete floor. Second, it spontaneously fires itself when resting in a holster. Next, it will purportedly fire when resting inside your locked gun safe.

I think I'm going to watch Ghost Busters again. Eek Changed my mind. Instead, I'm going to law school and become a tort lawyer.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are any of you concerned about carrying the P320 with some reports of it firing while holstered?

Nope. I've carried P320s plenty of times, Ive kept them loaded in my safe and no unintended discharges.

I don't put much faith in those reports.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a concern then spend 10 bucks and put the factory thumb safety on it .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaSb_cbMyj8

This is connected with the link posted earlier on this thread. The guy adds no new information just a follow up.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago I texted with the Texas DPS Range Master asking if they had seen any of these issues. Keep in mind, the DPS has over 4K P320s in the field. He advised they have not had one single instance where a P320 went off without the trigger being pulled.

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it worries you, get a revolver.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
No...ZERO concerns!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Hard No

FWIW,
o I carry a M-18 w/manual safety. Call me what you want, 21 years of Army has engrained the use of MS in my DNA.

o On deployment, about 1/5 carried the M-17; countless loading/unloading/holstering etc. No NDs.

o I carried a SA XDS in .45 for many years and was never 100% comfortable not having a MS, so most of the time it was amber. Quickly chambering a round on it was not easy, even broken in with regular practice = more than too many stovepipe jams that could only be cleared by dropping the magazine and shaking the round out.

o I believe these NDs are caused by clothing or other things introduced between the trigger and holster or whatever and initiating fire.

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post