SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Non-LEO P320 discharge in holster
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-LEO P320 discharge in holster Login/Join 
posted
Just popped up in my Ewe_Toob feed. Only 4mins, and worth the watch. Especially, his statement at 3:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjo62vSYZk

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I sense a Utuber in search of an issue. To me his speech was too practiced. For me 99.99 % of unintentional discharges comes down to one item, the bang switch!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. It appears to be a well-witnessed and documented event.

I wish there was more information about what Sig found to be the problem. He says that they told him it was a issue with the firing pin return spring...there is no such part in the P320. The only thing I can think of that he may be referring to is a tiny little spring called the Striker Reset Spring, but it's unclear to me how that spring could have caused the gun to discharge on its own, especially in a delayed manner like he described.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t say “well witnessed “. The gun owner claims other people saw it but none of them have been heard from .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
I wouldn’t say “well witnessed “. The gun owner claims other people saw it but none of them have been heard from .

True. I guess that's the problem with the internet...no real way to verify the information. Based on his description of the event, my money would have been on his shirt getting stuck in the trigger guard then actuating the trigger when he stretched it by raising his arms. He swears that didn't happen, and that Sig found a problem with the gun...once again, impossible for us to verify unless Sig releases something.

If there really is an issue, I'd like to know exactly what it is so that it can be prevented. Unfortunately, there's not enough info here to identify it.

I will say that I bounced my P320 (in duty holster) off of a couple of trees this afternoon at about 15mph while doing some bike patrol on the dirt. This did not result in any unintended noise or holes.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the inset photo at 1:25. Note the shirts rather untucked.

Pretty clear to me that he was trying to be “high speed” by making ready and slamming his pistol into the holster without looking. He caught some shirt material in it. As he raised his hands, his shirt pulled up, against the trigger and *bang*.

People keep blaming their gear for their failures. He has poor gun handling skills and paid the price for it. Unfortunately, he doesn’t understand he was at fault and won’t learn from his mistake.

I’d post a pic of that inset, but my photo sharing site doesn’t seem to be working.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just like clockwork, it's always the gun's fault. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Just like clockwork, it's always the gun's fault. Roll Eyes

People really hate to be thought of as stupid, so they invent these mythical "design flaws" to make themselves feel better.

It's the same sort of people who, when they finally accept blame for an ND, proudly proclaim that everyone, everywhere who shoots will have an ND one day.

To that I say, bullshit. Only the negligent will have a negligent discharge.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todays safety tip: Dont shoot yourself.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Todays safety tip: Dont shoot yourself.

That’s akin to Rule #1 at my house, “Don’t get dead”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys have hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. The race to reholster. Never understood the fondness for reholstering at speed. I understand police have a need to reholster without taking their eyes off a situation but even that probably does not need to be at full speed. Gamers and civilians basically never have that need.

Slow and steady wins the race and keeps you from shooting your foot.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys have hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. The race to reholster. Never understood the fondness for reholstering at speed. I understand police have a need to reholster without taking their eyes off a situation but even that probably does not need to be at full speed. Gamers and civilians basically never have that need.

Slow and steady wins the race and keeps you from shooting your foot.

This! 1000x this! I can think of a couple specific situations at work where I've had to do this, but it's definitely not the norm. There's no reason you should EVER need to do this in a competition environment, especially not steel challenge.

posted Hide Post
This one is a news video detailing the issue.
Jump to 1:10 for one on video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODW0F4eXmo&t=98s

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:

That video contains a lot of lawyer speak, and quotes from one guy who is some sort of instructor who clearly thinks the P320 is unsafe, but doesn't explain the technical reasons behind why he thinks this.

There's no explanation as to why the guns might be discharging on their own, and the investigation was unable to re-create the problem with the plainclothes officer's gun. There are no more answers in that video than in anything else I've seen to date.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:

I see a cop that likely has a pull string from his fleece stuck in the holster with his pistol and as he stands up, the shirt pulls up and pulls the trigger.

My bet is they had probably done some warrant serve or something, and he didn’t watch his re-holster.

If I’m not mistaken, current production P320s have two sear notches, plus a striker block. And I also believe they work in opposite directions. So significant bumps could only disengage one of them at a time. Not saying it’s impossible to have multiple mechanical failures, but to my knowledge no mechanical issues have been found.

It’s easy to say, “there’s something wrong with this gun!” Explain how it failed. I’ve explained a likely scenario above. Explain what a mechanical failure would entail.

Now, SIG decided to use physics to avoid a trigger dingus. Could a trigger dingus have helped prevent unintentional trigger movement? Don’t know. A 20# trigger probably would’ve too.

ETA: when a lawyer is on TV trying to tell you something, do not accept his initial premise. They can provide logical steps to get you to a conclusion, but if that initial assumption isn’t factual, you’ll end up askew. In this case, his claim is “his hands are full, so it must be the pistol” without allowing for the clothing interference. If you weigh the preponderance of the evidence, what makes more sense? Multiple mechanical failures that fixed themselves prior to inspection, or the guy had poor safe handling behaviors and rather than have some egg on his face and say “I screwed up” he blames the inanimate object that other have before him, pending credence to the gun being plagued by gremlins?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A more recent article from the same reporter..
https://www.wisn.com/article/m...emails-show/41322844

Posts: 19 | Registered: October 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is from 2019.

Conserve Liberty, and the right of self-determination.

Posts: 57 | Location: The Flyover Part | Registered: September 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Seemed real to me and I at least felt the guy was being honest, but I've been taken in before.

What I could not understand is not wanting the pistol back after Sig diagnosed what the problem was.

As for the fast re-holstering.. I realized while taking a defensive hand gun class that I was doing the same thing.... natural inclination since you are training yourself to draw aim and fire as fast as possible is to 'stay' fast when putting the gun back in the holster... I had to train myself to go back into slow gear when doing this.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackLion:
A more recent article from the same reporter..
https://www.wisn.com/article/m...emails-show/41322844

More lawyer speak, and no technical explanation of how the lackmof a safety lever spring contributed to the ND. The article tries to make it sound like Sig left a part out on the MPD guns. That's not the case at all. The safety lever spring hasn't been a factory part for years. It was already discontinued when I went through the armorer's course back in early 2020. They even talked about it specifically and explained why it is no longer necessary. The only one I've ever actually seen was in the FCU of a gun that was produced before the "voluntary upgrade".

posted Hide Post
Seemed real to me as well - the issue here, is that Sig did in fact have problems with their drop safety in the past on the 320, and it was "fixed". However, there have been numerous reports of 320 LEO pistols that have discharged in their holsters. Now if these pistols were ever sent in for the drop safety report, i'm not sure of. But I do understand not trusting a pistol after it goes off randomly... Let's say you're carrying appendix. I DEFINITLY would not trust that pistol again... just sayin

Posts: 3 | Location: Ellisville, MO | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post