SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no love for the .380?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for the .380? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have seen videos of the Sig 365-380 is a nice shooting .380.

Does anyone have information on this pistol?

Posts: 728 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:
I have seen videos of the Sig 365-380 is a nice shooting .380.

Does anyone have information on this pistol?

I've got one and it's been 100% reliable, soft shooting like a G42 and generally same size except for the grip due to extra mag capacity. I like the manual safety too, no regrets.

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them. They have never been the ultimate manstopper, but they do have a place as a certain kind of edc. This Beretta went with me on a multi-day road trip to a solar eclipse last week.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 365/380 and love the little gun. Tomorrow I’m going out to buy a Ruger Security 380. Can’t help loving these soft shooters.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m58:
Because there is 9x18 Makarov available for my CZ 82. It's been my carry pistol for the past dozen years.

Between this, and the other poster that has been carrying an original p230, these are the best of the best. All the modern stuff can't hold a candle to these two guns.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My buddy has a 238. Easily the sweetest shooting 380 I have ever shot. Great little gun. There is absolutely zero chance I am going to carry a cocked and locked mini 1911 in my pocket. Nope.

You'd shoot your johnson off unless you hit the big ass artery right next to the johnson, the johnson artery I believe. Hell to the no.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread and the post from Troper Joe about his new Tisas is a reminder to me that a little range time with the G42 and 80X is due. Shot placement. I say again, shot placement.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
There is absolutely zero chance I am going to carry a cocked and locked mini 1911 in my pocket. Nope.

Exactly why I sold my Colt Mustang Pocketlite many years ago.

Posts: 13683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I carry a 365 in .380 every day. Great pistol - has reliably fired every FMJ i've fed it, admittedly i've only tested hydrashok and hornady SD ammo, which it also digested fine.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .380's an underpowered round but does lend itself to micro/micro pocket type pistols...E.G. S&W's Bodyguard. We own one of the them and the gun is reliable and offers the ability to carry in a shirt pocket. Its size is its only recommendation...as I have no confidence in the round as a fight stopper...as an intimidation piece it has some use. Best regard and YMMV I know. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 729 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just tested some Lehigh Defense copper bullets in my 380. These are 68 grain projectiles with a good dose of Win 231 powder. They may not stop a grizzly, but cycled well, penetration was impressive.

As is posted everywhere, the 380 on the hip is better than the 454 mag in the safe.

Posts: 6193 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
People have mentioned the lower recoil of the .380, but that also means lighter recoil springs, which, in turn, means an easier to rack slide.

My dad couldn't rack the slide on his P365 9mm, but did fine with the S&W Shield EZ in .380. He's 84, so I'd rather he had something he can use than nothing at all.

And while I have a few in .380 (P238 and P365), so nothing against them, I carry a P250 in .357 SIG.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6068 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
My dad couldn't rack the slide on his P365 9mm, but did fine with the S&W Shield EZ in .380. He's 84, so I'd rather he had something he can use than nothing at all.

I'd argue that's more a function of the Shield EZ design, not the cartridge.

The Shield EZ in 9mm would be similarly easy to rack as the .380 version, and likewise easier to rack than the P365.

So there's little reason even there to go with the .380 over 9mm... Just change platforms if needed.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I have picked up an EZ I have been tempted to buy it. They performed some magic on that gun. It is ridiculously easy to operate it. I don’t have hand strength issues yet but so what, lighter is lighter. Cool design.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
<snip>
The Shield EZ in 9mm would be similarly easy to rack as the .380 version

I doubt it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Go try it.

The fact is that the 9mm EZ slide is only slightly harder to rack than the 380 EZ, and either one is significantly easier than most other handguns, especially when it comes to compacts and/or blowbacks (like most other .380s are).

If someone can handle racking the 380 EZ, they can almost surely handle racking the 9mm EZ, even if they can't handle racking a normal 9mm. So you don't have to compromise on cartridge capability just to get the easy to rack slide.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said. It is magically light. I’ve tried both versions and I can feel a difference but it is slight. The 9mm version is a very light rack, the 380 a hair lighter. I’m telling you, S&W pulled some Harry Potter shit on the EZ’s. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I believe Q said a 380 hits like a brick through a plate glass window, so that's good enough for me. I do live the 365 in 380 ACP!

Posts: 107 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have added that he went with the EZ because SIG was taking forever releasing the P365 in .380 after they announced it. Yes, the EZ is easier to rack in 9mm, but the P365 .380 is significantly easier to rack than the P365 9mm and has lighter recoil.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

I'd argue that's more a function of the Shield EZ design, not the cartridge.

The Shield EZ in 9mm would be similarly easy to rack as the .380 version, and likewise easier to rack than the P365.

So there's little reason even there to go with the .380 over 9mm... Just change platforms if needed.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6068 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>
The Shield EZ in 9mm would be similarly easy to rack as the .380 version

I doubt it.

Well you would be surprised, shocked even.

I have the 9mm EZ and it's scary how easy it is to rack. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo springs they have but it's very noticeably easy to pull that slide back. It's actually a very nice little 9mm to shoot too.

Posts: 33893 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post