SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no love for the .380?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for the .380? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Its niche is mostly for pocket-sized guns like the LCP, which aren't really "fun" at the range.
That would be my thought.

I have an LCP chambered in .380 ACP. Carries comfortably in a front pocket or, in gym shorts, like this:

I carry it when anything larger is precluded for whatever reason(s).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The presumption that .380 is now some red-headed stepchild seems odd to me.

Never before have I seen so many small weapons available in the chambering, and all of the ammo makers have a defensive/tactical load for the caliber.

It used to be if you wanted a 380, not only did everyone laugh at you, but you could only get one in a ppk or fancy berretta 8x style weapon, and you'd only be able to load it with ball.

With all the ladies getting strapped I would say we are in a .380 rennisance of sorts.

Enjoy your weapon, for it fulfills the first rule of gunfighting: Have a gun.

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Carry the LCP Max 380, very light, since gym shorts are normal here it's easy to conceal in the pocket and since it's not a range toy, ammo costs really isn't a big thing, especially when you get into self defense rounds for carry.

Posts: 24255 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A less capable cartridge for more money than 9mm.
No longer a gun size advantage.
Fewer gun options than 9mm.

220-9er hit it right on the head.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an LCP Custom in a pocket somewhere everyday regardless of what might be on my belt. I have the LCP Max and have about 200 flawless rounds through it and might carry it one day. Nothing wrong with a S&W Bodyguard either, true double action.

Posts: 991 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW I think we may see an uptick in .380 as the number of older gun owners increases. .380 has a lighter recoil depending on pistol configuration. Tip barrels like the Beretta's are a decent option for folk that cannot rack slides, the Eze line from S&W also reduces the amount of effort required to rack the slide.

Posts: 4759 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Every decision relating to self-defense and its weapons involves compromises. For the person who cannot properly and effectively operate or shoot a 380 Auto-sized handgun in 9mm Luger, then a useful compromise is to choose the less powerful cartridge. For anyone else, though, a 9mm makes more sense.

Is it possible to have a defensive handgun that’s too powerful? Yes. Dirty Harry would have been better off with an S&W model 27 or 19 in 357 Magnum rather than a 29 in 44 Mag. But that isn’t true of choosing 9mm over 380.

I think it's been some time since you have shot full house 357 Magnums from a model 19. I suspect they may actually hurt more than a 44 Magnum out of a model 29. However never having been foolish enough to test drive a model 29 it's just a guess. It's why my model 19 has nice big fat Pachmayr grips on it. While a bit ugly they do make the recoil much more manageable. It's also why my model 620 has 500 Magnum grips on it.

People just don't have a clue as to how powerful a 357 Magnum can be and consider the 9mm Para to be "hot". It's not. The good news is that is powerful enough to do the job and it's relatively easy to control in a light weight handgun.

As for the 380, it's a good choice for those who can't manage or tolerate too much recoil. The downside is that shot placement becomes critical, so weekly practice is advisable. As for the cost for 380 ammunition, just like the 410 it's something that is very inexpensive to reload and very expensive to purchase new. If you are going to carry a 380 you should really be set up to load 380.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
However never having been foolish enough to test drive a model 29 it's just a guess.

There’s the difference between you and me: My comments aren’t guesses. I have owned models 19/66 and models 29/629 since the early 1970s, and although it’s been a few years since I have fired either, at one time they got the majority of my handgun workouts. I am therefore very familiar with what they’re like to shoot, including with full power factory loads.

But my point wasn’t based merely on felt recoil, but rather ballistic effectiveness, and for defensive use against human beings the 357 S&W Magnum cartridge is more than good enough without unnecessarily excessive power that increases the danger to others. Being aware of what’s beyond our target is a fundamental firearms safety rule that applies to all cartridges, but some pose more dangers than others. If, however, one can’t handle shooting a model 19, (and I’m pretty sure that DH could have), that’s why I also mentioned a model 27: same size as a 29, heavier than a 29 (I believe, but won’t bother checking), and a less powerful cartridge = less felt recoil as a bonus.

None of which, of course, has anything to do with this thread.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47687 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
99% of the time I can carry a P365 which has better ballistics, more capacity, and shoots better than any .380 I've ever fired. With that in mind, there's no real reason for me to carry a .380 at this point.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

As for the 380, it's a good choice for those who can't manage or tolerate too much recoil. The downside is that shot placement becomes critical, so weekly practice is advisable.

Is that a nice way of calling me old?
I’m 55, not 85.

Posts: 138 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaftocr:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

As for the 380, it's a good choice for those who can't manage or tolerate too much recoil. The downside is that shot placement becomes critical, so weekly practice is advisable.

Is that a nice way of calling me old?
I’m 55, not 85.

I'm now 69 years old. Still hard to believe that, I still remember being 28 like it was yesterday. One thing I have learned is that disabilities don't always come with age. All I'm saying is saying is that for some it may be their only choice. When, of if, that happens it is possible to compensate by insuring that you can place every shot where it's effective.

While I don't personally carry a 380 pistol the day may come when it's my only choice.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike carries one for her EDC. Yes it’s a little cartridge, but I don’t wanna get shot by one. And she’s a damn fine shot

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There’s still love for the 380. I consider it the minimum caliber and carry it in non permissive environments. Kahr PM380 still works for me Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
My P238 is so manageable and more than accurate enough. Not to mention it is easy to hide. I enjoy carrying mine.

I love mine too. Colt gets most of the credit for its clever design, but SIG gets credit for its good quality of manufacture.

I like the P238 as well. Also, it fits my wife's hand.
But, yeah... the 9mm is more capable than the .380 so it's not very popular anymore.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I love my little .380s. I have a Glock 42, Remington RM380 and Ruger LCP.

I’d like to eventually get an LCP Max. Mine see a lot of carry time at the ball field and a backup when I’m in uniform, which is rare these days.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
Love mine!

---------------
Jeffrey

P365 - GGI P220ST 10mm - Sig Mosquito - Various Others

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Nice pistol! I’ve long wished that SIG would make a long slide version of the P238.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful G42 and posted pics of her a couple of times. But, when I added the Wilson Combat grip module to my P365, it became my main carry gun.

Still have a LCP Max 380 in my front pocket, but it's a back-up. I love it and plan to keep it as long as I can carry.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everytime I leave my house, there is a 380 auto in my hip pocket. I have no plans to change.

Posts: 6712 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dirty Harry Callahan shot 'Light Special Loads' out of his Model 29.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that my second favorite bad-ass hero used bunny-fart ammo in "Magnum Force", 1973.

Next, we'll find out Homer Simpson has been drinking Duff Lite all these years.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post