SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no love for the .380?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for the .380? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Dirty Harry Callahan shot 'Light Special Loads' out of his Model 29.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that my second favorite bad-ass hero used bunny-fart ammo in "Magnum Force", 1973.

Next, we'll find out Homer Simpson has been drinking Duff Lite all these years.

Smile Humor is always welcome!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorfolkP229:
Love mine!

That Colt is super nice. I still like my P230 but your Colt is pretty tough.

Posts: 138 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Dirty Harry Callahan shot 'Light Special Loads' out of his Model 29.

True, although at odds with the “most powerful handgun in the world” claim of the original. And yet another reason why he should have had a 19 or 27 with proper ammunition.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47687 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 43 fills any need I have for a 380. 9mm round in a very concealable package.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1605 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There is no point for the .380, when you can have the 9mm Para, to me.

Ruger LCP is way easier to carry for a lot of folks.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger LCP is way easier to carry for a lot of folks.

^^^ Particularly if the primary method of conceal carry is within a pocket. This spurious urge is what prompted me to pick up a LCP Max. However my live fire experience and rather mediocre shooting results with the little Ruger compelled me to reconsider that choice.

-MG

Posts: 2210 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
I like .380. Precision One standard pressure is a Hornady XTP bullet loaded at 925 fps. It’s comfortable enough to shoot from an LCP and has consistent expansion and about 12” of penetration.

For hotter ammo from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore, the Glock 42 manages those loads quite well.

I have no problem throwing the LCP in my back pocket in a Talon wallet holster.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1769 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I really like my G42. Inherited a Colt 1908 that a friend of mine had to have in the worst way and while it was neat, I don't miss it. The G42 is an excellent summer carry or back up piece. I don't see myself parting with it probably ever, just for the sheer utility of it. And yes, it's fun to shoot as a locked breech pistol in that cartridge. It's one of those ones like the M1 carbine that you hand to someone at the range and they hand it back empty with a grin on their face.

Posts: 17628 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
I had a 380 S&W Bodyguard (my pocket, get off me gun (GOMG)), my wife stole it
I just used ball ammo in it, because I'm looking for penetration, not expansion
now I carry a little NAA in 22 mag as my GOMG

out and about I just carry the 365, though

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2034 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NorfolkP229 that Colt M1908 .380 still hard to beat, bet it could tell some stories.

Posts: 189 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xring04
posted Hide Post

Brown Santa just delivered the ammo and I’m excited to break in this new gun. I have a black one and my wife likes it. She really likes the stainless one. Here’s hoping it’s as reliable as my Max.

On the Right.

Posts: 1200 | Location: NE Fl. | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realized while at the range shooting a steel popper style target with a resetting head which required a center mass shot. The .380 would not reset the head while a 9mm would. There was just not enough benefit to justify the .380

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the better question is:

Why Love The .380 In A World Of 9mm.

There's a reason Sig stopped making the P230 years ago. As well as any anything in 357Sig.

Apparently Sig thinks your handgun options should be limited to 9mm, maybe a .45acp and possibly a 10mm.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 235 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
SIG still makes the nifty P238. A clever design (thanks to Colt), and very reliable. Much softer recoil than the P230/232 thanks to its locked breech mechanism.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
SIG still makes the nifty P238. A clever design (thanks to Colt), and very reliable. Much softer recoil than the P230/232 thanks to its locked breech mechanism.

Nifty indeed! Soft shooting and accurate.
Nice warm weather concealed carry weapon for this septuagenarian. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
.380 is fine. Better … if the bad guy has an older .380 & I have a .45 ACP or .357.
No sweat there.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 188 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because the 365 is smaller than most .380s, holds more ammo and is 9mm. And the Beretta 85 that I tried to like was just unpleasant and snotty.

Posts: 4672 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorfolkP229:
Love mine!

That's beautiful. Gorgeous.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8926 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb, I love the cartridge. I'm not saying anything about it's suitability for this or that, but I like it. A lot.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8926 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think .380 is a great round for those sensitive to recoil.

While .380 isn't ideal for many here, it's better than no firearm.

.45/.357/9 are all great but if you cannot use that firearm effectively or get to it, may as well not have it at all.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post