SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no love for the .380?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for the .380? Login/Join 
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a good P238. I can't believe Sig quit making them and left that market to Kimber.

Anyway, I carry a 238 in my pocket more often than I strap on a bigger 9mm on my belt. And people saying you can get the same size gun in a 9mm. Nope, there isn't a 9mm option as small as a P238 or an LCP.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1348 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Well the Bond Arms Bullpup is very, very close. Not the most trustworthy in terms of reliability given its Boberg upbringing, and you can have almost five pockets' worth of LCPs and three pockets full of LCP MAXs for the cost of one Bullpup. But the Bond is right down there in terms of its ittiest-bittiestness. And it's a darn tootin' roarin' 9 mike-mike, not sum asthma-infused shorty.

Jus' sayin'... Wink

-MG

Posts: 2210 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
Nope, there isn't a 9mm option as small as a P238 or an LCP.

How about the Sig 938?

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
^^^ The P938 is noticeably larger than either. And I think it likely that a full 9mm Luger in a little pocket gun is going to be punishing to actually shoot.

Posts: 28650 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own five 380’s. A Bodyguard, TCP, LCP Max, LC 380 and 365-380. Just got 400 rounds of ammunition in. Time to go shoot.

Posts: 63 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Larry_K
posted Hide Post
When pocket carry is a must I still like my lcpii. So for me it still serves a specific purpose.
If wearing untucked polo or a T-shirt I’m usually carrying 10mm.

Posts: 1298 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: August 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a female friend who has messed up hands and has trouble retracting a pistol slide. I redirected her to the Beretta 86 with the tip up barrel and she has been happy ever since.

Posts: 4672 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
^^^ The P938 is noticeably larger than either. And I think it likely that a full 9mm Luger in a little pocket gun is going to be punishing to actually shoot.

I had a 938, no longer. It is a nice little gun, especially for those used to and who like the 1911 manual of arms. On one IDPA classification, I actually scored better with the 938 than I did with a P320. Not sure if that is something to brag about, but I never did get along with the P320, or striker guns in general.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Government .380

I'm having problems seeing the front site (getting old).

Maybe time to change springs.

Posts: 733 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief, where did you find a Beretta 86? They haven't been produced in years. I want one.

Posts: 17254 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am divesting of 380 lead dispensers. I will just use a LCR in 357 for the occasional small form factor needs.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
There is nothing like a good P238. I can't believe Sig quit making them and left that market to Kimber.

Anyway, I carry a 238 in my pocket more often than I strap on a bigger 9mm on my belt. And people saying you can get the same size gun in a 9mm. Nope, there isn't a 9mm option as small as a P238 or an LCP.

Yep! I’ve had my P238 for about 8 years now. Perfect size, weight, and compactness for hot Florida weather and shorts.

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a 380 fan especially the LCP, but I have all the 80 series Beretta, the Sig 238, 230 and 232. If you care to pack a 357 in your pocket then go for it.

Posts: 991 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In calibers I own, .380 is my second to last choice- due strictly to how much I enjoy shooting it. [last is .40S&W]

Most .380 handguns I've fired had recoils that felt more abrupt and harsher than the recoil in similar sized 9mm handguns. If using fiscal sense, why spend more money for .380 ammo that feels harsher in the hand and has weaker self-defense properties when compared to a 9mm handgun?

[note: I live in California, so concealed carry is not a realistic option here.]

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 693 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
quote:
Most .380 handguns I've fired had recoils that felt more abrupt and harsher than the recoil in similar sized 9mm handguns.

Blowback .380s have very sharp recoil, but locked-breech .380s, such as my SIG P238, have soft recoil and easy-to-rack slides.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post