SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
You said 4-man unit, but not what they actually do.

My thought too. Arguendo, a 4-man unit seems to imply that at some point, with a high degree of probability, everybody should expect that shit-is-going-to-hit the air mover. Unless one is a driver, another the lookout and the third is in charge of pizzas.

That being said, and the remaining three being the grownups that they are, they could choose whatever their heart pleases them. As for me, Benelli B-76. Big enough for distance, small enough to conceal. Hirtenberger red primer seal for ammo, a song and a prayer.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assemble my 4 person team in 1985.

Since the team consists of Myself, Stacey Sutton, Kimberley Jones, and Pola Ivanova, then there is only one choice as my carry gun:

"Walther PPK, .32 ACP, with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a brush silencer with very little reduction in muzzle velocity."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I didn’t say what you were doing as a team. I also didn’t say where you were located. This was by design to open up more ideas. Which has been great so far. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
The year is 1983, pick a pistol.

I started my handgun shooting journey a couple of years later, during the summer of 1985 (Armor Officers Course at Ft. Knox - introduced to the 1911).

The first semi auto that I cut my teeth on was a Browning Hi-Power later that year.

So for me - its gotta be a BHP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ideas.

Here's the conundrum of choosing weapons for another.

Should it malfunction, you'll never hear the end of it. At the very least, that will not bode well for a relationship. Yes, no Christmas cards, no chocolates for Valentine's day. Even worse, they will not share a toothbrush with you.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

That being said, and the remaining three being the grownups that they are, they could choose whatever their heart pleases them. As for me, Benelli B-76. Big enough for distance, small enough to conceal. Hirtenberger red primer seal for ammo, a song and a prayer.

I had to look that one up. Well played Sir.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig 220 in .45 for me.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I didn’t say what you were doing as a team. I also didn’t say where you were located. This was by design to open up more ideas. Which has been great so far. Smile

This has been a fun thread. Thanks for starting it. If you don't mind my asking, why 1983?

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
83 was a special year in history. By leaving open the where and why, you had folks that could choose the new kids- Beretta 92 (primarily I was wondering how many would bring up the 92S as opposed to the F), the 226, or even the Bren 10, or if you’d see a lot of Smith 39s, BHP, or even go P7 or P9S.

83 to me was really the year that firmed what we see now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

IIRC, the first CO of the SEALs (?) allowed and encouraged the personal selection of weapons, haircuts and colognes.

I guess it worked more like BYOB.

Smile

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally written by remtek.com:
The GB had a lot going for it when it finally appeared in 1981, after an extended and agonizing research and development phase that had lasted for more than a decade. Steyr had eliminated the reliability problems that killed the Rogak, and they lavished excellent workmanship on the new gun. The company felt that the GB was at least as good as anything else in the slowly-growing 9mm market and should sell well.

But fortune decreed otherwise. The first setback occurred in the 25,000-pistol Austrian government contract, a number established as sufficient to replace the PP, P-38 and Hi-Power pistols in that country's military and police inventories. The GB was a shoo-in to win this contest until a then-unknown designer named Gaston Glock unveiled his new pistol, the Glock 17, with which Glock won the order in 1983.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
High Power or S&W M39

V/r

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
CZ-75

You never said where....

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P226 or Steyr GB

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Too bad not a couple of years later, the 645 would be available in spring '85.

I like .45 and would have been a good choice, since that wasn't the case, I chose HKp7

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to ammunition technology back then 9mm would be a no. Since 1911’s are off the table it would HAVE to be the P220.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
A T-Series BHP.

I remember watching Serpico. Pacino was buying one.

Guy behind the counter asked, "You planing on holding off an army."

Serpico: "No, just a division."

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My team will have High Standard 10x's. We're a small bore bullseye team. Cool

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
83 was a special year in history.

...{snip}.....

83 to me was really the year that firmed what we see now.

What specifically occurred in 1983. I can't quite figure that part out. Glock unveiled???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK P7. Funny thing is that’s be my choice in 2018 as well. It’s my all time favorite.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post