SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hmm...

P220 or P226...probably the former.

Runner up: BHP 9mm

Honorable mention: S&W 645 or 459...probably the former again, but was the 645 available in 83, 84, 85?

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Did not even have to think about this - HK P7

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
An ASP for concealed work or a P226...when did Novak start their SRT BHP work?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC, the first CO of the SEALs (?) allowed and encouraged the personal selection of weapons, haircuts and colognes.

Blue Light. I'm thinking now Blue Light. Extra points awarded to them if they could hold their liquor. Not kidding.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Star Firestar M45 ... that pistol outshoots a few big name 1911's , even today.
I have seen it , at my club's range. It shoots as good as my 1984 vintage Gold Cup.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 183 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
IIRC, the first CO of the SEALs (?) allowed and encouraged the personal selection of weapons, haircuts and colognes.

Blue Light. I'm thinking now Blue Light. Extra points awarded to them if they could hold their liquor. Not kidding.

Interesting. My first thought was Marcinko's Seal Team Six.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all I now remember, you could very well be correct.

It's tough trying to pinpoint all those remarkably fine, outstanding individuals.

They never ran out of equipment. Delicate motor skills like hot wiring vehicles and breaching depots was part of the experience. Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
P220 in .45

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought was the BHP (good enough for the SAS) and likely what I would pick in that year not wanting to beta test 92s and P226s. In hindsight, P226 because it worked out so well and it is what I shoot and carry now (along with a rejuvinated P6).

P220 a solid choice as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No 1911, unreasonable! That's what we all had.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I was issued an old 1911, but I bought my first pistol.....a Sig P220 9mm European mag release, which was appropriate as I was stationed in Germany at the time. Great gun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: josp,

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
One of two:
Sig P225 or S&W 469....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 459, Federal 124gr Nyclad.
SIG P220 in .38 Super, Win. 125gr Silvertip
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:

You need to go and read the OP:

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The 1911 is off the table.

What do you chose? Smile

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BHP, Berretta, S&W 59/459.

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
In 1983, I was carrying a hardchromed Browning High Power with Millet sights. For four guys at that time, I'd go with it. Three years later, my department prohibited carrying SAO pistols and I went with a Sig P226 (refinished in "Tef-Nickle" , equipped with Novak tritium sights and a Bar-Sto barrel. It worked well for me until the mid-1990's.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
Give me the Sonny Crocket special ... the Bren Ten!

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BHP

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post